Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hello friends, i just finished watching season 2 of this show because i saw the title in the forums here, and here is my assessment.

I really liked Season 1, but i thought season 2 was gimmicky lost bullshit that was still enjoyable on that superficial level, but the ending was totally unsatisfying. Also lots of filler in that season. I'm gonna watch season 3 though!

Anyway just my 2 cents in this post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

So I binge watched this entire series over the last few days. Season 1 was fantastic, though IMO there was a drop in quality for season 2 that was pretty disappointing. Everything felt less grounded in reality and Jarden/Miracle didn't feel quite as realized a location as Mapleton to me, despite the good premise and the Murphy family being strong additions to the cast.

Still looking forward to season 3, though I'm a little more cautious now after season 2.

So yah thisis exactly how i feel too!!!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, let me put it this way:

Season 1 is an exploration of universal and very human themes like loss, faith, and identity. It does this through a nightmare-like scenario lifted from folklore and lots of other narratives, but in a believable and non-sensational way. It doesn't try to pull any punches and looks to real world examples of how cults and religions work as to offer a fresh look that has something to say about what makes us human.

Season 2 has a magical negro in a cabin at the edge of a magical town who guides the protagonist through purgatory, which is a literally a hotel. The magical negro guide to the afterlife is called Virgil.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

Season 1 was mostly garbage and season 2 was great.

I mean, let me put it this way:

Season 1 is an exploration of universal and very human themes like loss, faith, and identity. It does this through a nightmare-like scenario lifted from folklore and lots of other narratives, but in a believable and non-sensational way. It doesn't try to pull any punches and looks to real world examples of how cults and religions work as to offer a fresh look that has something to say about what makes us human.

Season 2 has a magical negro in a cabin at the edge of a magical town who guides the protagonist through purgatory, which is a literally a hotel. The magical negro guide to the afterlife is called Virgil.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
yes, now if they couldve done that in season 2 without the Lost level superficial gimmicky magic bullshit, it wouldve been great. as it is, i cant take it seriously. Like I said, I still liked season 2, but it ultimately lacks the depth and intelligence of season 1, in favour of ~~magic & mystery~~. Season 1 does get heavy handed, but I enjoyed and respected the nihilism it embraces and i can live with the dark tone.

edit:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yeah, it is Patti, when Kevin is yelling at her in the woods. "What would you have done if I'd told you the solution to all your problems was a magical black man at the edge of town? That's borderline racist is what that is!"

yeah, they allude to their poor writing as if that exonerates it. it's almost as cringe-worthy as calling Virgil Virgil.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aexo posted:

I didn't binge watch season two and I still think season one was better. I'm not saying season two was poo poo, it's just that I enjoyed everyone's story in season one more than two. The imaginary Patty thing was trying. The "afterlife" was mostly nonsense. I liked getting to know the Murphys and the suspense Kevin had trying to not get caught.

I'm rewatching it now though, so maybe my opinion will be swayed on further review.

Raxivace posted:

I don't think I'd say season 2 is a bad season of television- l just find a lot of directions it went to either not be as strong as the stuff season 1 did or a little too blatantly pulled from relatively popular movies, some of which are from the last several years.

These are two very good opinions that i share.

I thought it was super obvious that season was based in an actual literary novel, and written by an actual author. It has a much more literary angle to it, much tighter narrative, much better focus.

Then Lindelof takes over and it becomes gimmicky bullshit with a magic black negro afterlife guide who is called Virgil.

Again, I'm not saying Season 2 is bad. It was very enjoyable on a superficial level. Basically the same as Lost. But Season 1 actually made me think about the themes it explores: loss, faith, what it means to be human. Season 2 didn't make me consider these things at all, i was just following the narrative to see what silly unexplained gimmick they would come up with. But there's no depth there.

Season 1 has the literary quality of The Wire, Mad Men, The Sopranos and lately I have also put Season 2 of Fargo in this category.

Season 2 is much more like GoT, or Lost. Enjoyable for what they are, but ultimately superficial entertainment.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
btw, if you like The Leftovers, check out the novel Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. It reminded me of that a lot.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sorry, but the lost ending was the worst ending to anything i have ever read or seen. I say this with a postgraduate degree in literature.

I might not be able to ever get a job in my field, or any job, but at least i get to have very confident opinions about stories. I'm 33 years old and this has gotten me through.

(I still liked lost up until the final season)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Last Chance posted:

Yeah LOST's ending is great, no one can convince me otherwise. Even if they have a postgraduate degree in literature :rolleyes: The final season had its problems, but I don't count the finale in them at all.

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores.

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bonk posted:

I enjoyed the finale and I have a degree in film & television writing and several years of industry job experience, so :lol: at thinking education applies to something that's completely a matter of opinion and personal taste.

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores. 

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story. 

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
hi thread

I will watch the remaining 6 episodes, but episode 2 was just... real bad. Is anyone still taking this show seriously after the wu tang trampoline scene? That was the dumbest thing I have seen in ages. We couldn't stop laughing during the whole thing, but not in a good way.

It's just like the worst episodes of lost right now. It's boring, it tries to be smart but it isn't. Nicely shot though.

Lindelof is a bad writer, he needs someone to tell him wat bad storytelling is. He has good ideas, but he needs an actual writer with him, like Perotta during the first season.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Please enlighten me, I hope someone can convince my this is good?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like i said before, i have an MA in literature, I'm an English teacher, i have lots of experience with listening to arguments about storytelling, thematics, etc. Please tell me why you think this was a good episode.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

I could see why you wouldn't like it but it wasn't bad writing. This is how people are coping with tragic loss and is consistent with what the show portrays through the series. And real people cope in different and sometimes silly ways.

Well that's the thing: why tell us something that we already know, or have seen before?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Invalid Validation posted:

I mean nothing we could say would change your mind. So what's the point other than to stroke your teaching boner?

Eh no. Maybe I'm missing something? I've read lots of books/ saw lots of movies and shows that i didn't like before someone pointed me to something that I missed, or didn't interpret right, and now i like them :shrug:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like how is the trampoline scene supposed to add anything to the story? Except for hurrr durrr look how wacky we (the writers/directors) are?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol I just saw the third episode -- a full episode of filler. whoa Lindelof is a true storytelling genius, this has truly opened my eyes.

5 more to go and I'll watch them I guess, but are people still defending this show as something more than superficial escapism?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh and with some christian bullshit thrown in too boot. I dont enough about the aboriginal situation in Australia right now, but something tells me this is loving offensive too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Every tv show is "superficial escapism" you big old retard!

beep boop what is the funktion of stories? what is the difference between a good story that changes you as a human being, or teaches you empathy? beep boop I don't know, all stories are just superficial escapism beep boop.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Mods ban this outed troll!!!!!

what did I do to troll? Say that it's a bad filler episode?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I don't get it

Yes, that much is obvious

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matt Zerella posted:

The goony edgelord who got mad about the trampoline scene had bad opinions. What a shock!

Urrr, durrr, ALL STORIES HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE IN A TRANSCENDENT WAY OR ELSE ITS BAD HURRRRRR

That's not what I'm saying at all, I have always said that I enjoy the show as superficial entertainment (except for season 1, which has more to offer).

However, there were people here who were adamant that the show has more to offer than superficial entertainment, and I don't agree after season 1.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, yes, the step from "enjoyable" to "good" for me is that it has an intelligent literary quality to it, like the wire, or mad men, or Fargo, or even the good wife.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matt Zerella posted:

It's a show. We caught up with a character we haven't seen in a while and it looks like whatever he's been up to is going to tie in. If you didn't like it, that's fine but maybe go back and read your posts and see why people are reacting to your awful posting style the way they are.

It's a show, so we can't expect high standard? Is that what you are saying?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just saw episode 7, I'm not sure where the penis scanner fits on the retard scale of the show. I guess right below the magical negro in the cabin called virgil who is a guide to the afterlife.

No, maybe it's the most clichéd metaphor of inward struggle: literally killing another version of yourself. My students in grade 9 don't hand in writing this lazy.

Anyway, just one more episode and I will never have to watch this trash again. I don't know why I kept watching after season 1. I guess I'm the only non-fanboy left now. Feels good in a masochist kind of way.

There's a reason noone watches this anymore, or why it's not registering any awards.

edit: season 1 still good though.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

maniacripper posted:

Penis flop greatest technical achievement 2017 Emmy

tbh I'm just jealous that my penis doesn't make that flop sound

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
One needs to truly free the Penis, before one can gain access to duality of the self.

The Penis is the key to understanding the soul. It's beautiful.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does the Penis Scanner work? Does it measure weight? Or girth? Both?

What if it's cold outside?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes well in retrospect I regret having watched season 2 and 3, but what can I do?

Also, why is giving my opinion considered trolling? Are we only allowed to be positive about the show here?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In order to truly understand himself, Kevin needs the two essential keys to enlightenment: his penis and 6969.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, my tone was quite insufferable. I guess I shouldn't ragepost immediately after watching the episode.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Will they come back to the super important babies? What happened to that storyline?

Also, will there be an explanation of why Kevin can do what he does? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for The Explanation of the Departure, but you cant use magical realism willy nilly like that and expect the audience to just accept it. That's LOST level lazy writing.

I like season 1 so much precisely because it doesn't rely on unexplained mystery and science fiction and whoa look what is happening now.

btw my all time favourite narrative is Angels in America, which relies heavily on magical realism, so it's not like I'm averse to the idea of it. But it has to be tightly structured within the framework of the story, which just seems to be missing up till now. It's just seems that everything is possible, which makes it very hard to care about anything.

Also, why do people like the character of Nora? What are her likable traits? Because me and my gf just pretty much roll our eyes at eachother everytime she does or says something. Besides having empathy for her situation, I find her selfish, passive aggressive throughout, and vindictive. There's nothing I actively like about her, nothing to aspire to or learn from.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingexecutive posted:

The first season was exactly as it was billed, people struggling with an unexplainable and enormous supernatural occurrence and how they personally dealt with the aftermath. Everything after is purestrain Lindelof trash. It would be 100 times better if it weren't so tonally jarring minute to minute. American Gods proves you can have Prestige TV(tm) with Mature Themes and still have goofy things like people getting sucked into vaginas, but Leftovers has dream sequence dick scanners interspersed with realistic depictions of suicide with the worst music supervision I've ever seen in a TV show.

finally i dont feel alone no more

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

The music supervision is really bad though and destroys any narrative flow.

~~*contrasting tones*~~

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

http://www.avclub.com/video/final-season-leftovers-also-its-best-256103

Despite what I personally think about the show -- Season 1 good, Christopher Eccleston amazing, frustrated by the current season but still basically enjoying the experience -- can we all agree that this video review / discussion is ludicrously bad, given that it's made by people that are apparently doing this for a living?

Choice highlights: "It's like Igmar Bergman but down to earth"; praising "Margo Martindale"'s performance; "If Seasons 2 and 3 were based on books, people would say that they were unfilmable, but then they'd watch the seasons and be, like, wow, they really captured the essence of those books."

I paraphrase, but I'm not kidding. Holy hell.

I was going to mention this. V dumb.

Also, I like Max Richter, but does he actually score this anymore? I feel like they only use the one piece of his music and just play it once every episode. It's almost Pavlovian -- PIANO MEANS YOU CRY NOW. CRY! CRY!

everything in this post is cool + good

but yes, sites like avclub are extremely bad. dont make the mistake of thinking they are serious criticism.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, beside the obvious examples which demonstrate that it doesn't, everything takes place in Kevin's head.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fast Luck posted:

This is actually something Lindelof seems to love, retaining ambiguity. Like, he had that one palm reader last season and a lot of people were like, Ah, that's definitely something mystical, so he made a point to show John and Laurie running a palm reading scam this season. I don't really think ambiguity for ambiguity's sake is all that great. But so the show will do something like have Kevin definitely seem to be in a sort of afterlife in s2 and then try to walk it back a bit here for the sake of keeping the nature of his abilities ambiguous

well yes, this is also what we like to call

purestrain Lindelof trash.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

The premise and central themes of Leftovers with the execution of The Good Place would be one of the greatest shows in history.

This is very much true (the premise and central themes of season 1 that is).

Also someone mentioned that while the narrative is poo poo they are still watching because of the direction and the performances. I'd like to share that there are actually good shows with amazing direction and performances running RIGHT NOW, like Fargo and Better Call Saul.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm honestly not asking this to antagonize, but what shows do you enjoy?

Whoa someone doesn't like this show that has been totally ignored by awards and gets 700k viewers every week... well wat DOES he like???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks to LOST i still get ptsd episodes whenever anyone mentions Lindelof and "character study" in the same sentence

oliwan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 1, 2017

• Locked thread