Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Onomarchus posted:

A lot of the changes after season 1 are almost certainly due to the addition of Reza Aslan as a "consulting" producer.

Yes, plus season 1 was based on the actual novel, the seasons after that are lindelof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheriff posted:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by Lost, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the HBO app at 8:00PM on Sunday, looking for an angry fix

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just saw it and lmao what a joke.

Kevin's superpowers are central to the show, and they are just written in without any kind of validation, just like an 8 year old writing a story where everything can happen. That's the level of writing here.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's obvious that Nora was lying, because otherwise people from the other side would've come over before or after, plus the other way around. If only the scientists himself.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Eat rear end poo poo bird

Sorry for giving my opinion on the TV forum dude, also whats wrong with eating rear end????

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can someone tell me what was so important about holy Wayne's kids so that we had to spent multiple episodes with them?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Nothing, I was giving you a good option for spending your time. Since your wasting it here.

Well I've already wasted like 20 hours of my life on seasons 2 and 3, a little more won't be so bad

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

i'm getting the sense oliwan just doesn't dig the supernatural in his tellyvision

That's not true friend. Like I've said before, Angels in America is my favourite ever story, both the play and TV series.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
All textual evidence points to Nora lying - it never even crossed my mind that she was telling the truth. The nun literally goes "IT MAKES FOR A BETTER STORY." A reading in which the story is "true" in the sense that it actually happened, is insincere.

This besides the fact that Nora's story makes no sense (it's far too easy a cop out, and if it were true, people would have gone back and forth). The whole point is that it's such an absurd story, but Kevin still "believes" her.

edit: also, the episode is literally called 'the book of Nora'

oliwan fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 6, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, in a kind reading the finale (and by extension, the season) is a postmodern meditation on truth, fiction and the nature of storytelling, but ehhh, it's no Paul Auster.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol dude, the finale isn't even trying to go for ambiguity -- it's super obvious that Nora's is lying, that's the whole point, and it makes the finale so much better for it. The thematics, the plot, the whole narrative works towards this climactic scene with Nora's story, and none of it works if you take Nora's story at face value. If they wanted to make it ambiguous, they would've at least filmed or showed part of the story she tells.

"Nora went to the other place and came back" is going to be the new "they were all dead all along" of retarded interpretations.

edit: I skipped this post but yeah it's good:

Lord Krangdar posted:

Kevin was right that they needed a lie in order to reconnect and move forward after so long apart, but his wasn't the right lie. Her lie (if it was a lie) allowed her to express the truth, while pushing past the questions of why she didn't go to Matt's funeral, or why she didn't contact Kevin, or why she didn't love her children enough to do absolutely anything to find them again. Even if she didn't literally cross over to the other side she was right that if she did somehow find her kids surviving together after seven years they would have already moved on. Believing that they could be some place happy, even without her, could let her finally let go.

When I first watched the episode I didn't really question her story at all, except for feeling surprised that the writers would go there (to the question of where the departures went) at all. But in retrospect so much of the episode is themed around lying, from the nun's sexcapades to Nora saying "I never lie" at the beginning which itself is a huge lie. That entire plotline was based on the lie she told herself and everyone else, that she planned to expose the LADR project as a fraud. And Laurie being alive after an entire episode leading up to her implied suicide is, to me, a clue not to trust what we don't actually see. We don't actually see Nora's story.

oliwan fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 6, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

Neither of those things are clear in those movies.

No, especially not in the director's cut of Blade Runner.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

If Nora lied then what did Matt say to everyone? There is no way he could have kept that a secret for so long

E: never mind

oliwan fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 6, 2017

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even if you ignore all the evidence to the contrary that multiple posters have offered in this thread, and you somehow still believe Nora's story... why would you? The lie is so much more beautiful for Nora, Kevin, and the whole show. Believing the story is doing the show a huge disservice, and that's coming from me.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Remember that time you complained about 302 by saying that the show should've been co-written by a 'real writer' like Perrota, who literally co-wrote the episode you were complaining about?

lol who loving cares. Maybe try to discuss what I and multiple other posters are saying, instead of pulling a post about ambiguity out of your rear end that doesn't make sense in the slightest?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Saying "the ending of LOST meant they were dead all along" is a Literally Incorrect Interpretation. Saying "the end of Leftovers is intentionally ambiguous as to whether Nora was lying or not" is a Literally Correct Interpretation. You can read any one of the interviews with Lindelof wherein he, verbatim, confirms that. Now you can think the execution was unsuccessful, or you can think there's only one clear answer, but the intention was ambiguity, period, end of story.

Ah yes, authorial intent :allears:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingexecutive posted:

Same. The music was so absolutely atrocious and undercut half the drama of the series.

True, of course. What did you make of the music in the finale? It was different because now it actually followed the plot, but it was so on the nose that it just made me cringe every time a song came on.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nothus Infelix posted:

In another universe, 98% of goons hated this show and did nothing but complain about the ambiguity-for-ambiguity's sake, the repetitious music, the dropped plot lines and characters, the obvious themes, the symbolism that smacked you in the face, and the show's incessant plea to "let the mystery be" because the writers couldn't figure out the mystery themselves. The thread became legendary, surpassing even Sons of Anarchy for the scope and virulence of the hatewatching. But 2% of goons really liked it, and they were able to move on from the detractors and live happily without worrying about the other 98%.

At least, that's the story I'm telling myself.

A good post.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

oliwan, what are some of your other favourite TV shows?

(I know I shouldn't be encouraging him but it's better than hearing you all argue why something obviously deliberately ambiguous actually isn't because insert pedantic reason here)

Some from the top of my head: The Wire, Fargo (Season 2), Mad Men, Better Call Saul

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You guys should read up on your Barthes and your Foucault if you're​ bringing the authors into it:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

quote:

Barthes' essay argues against traditional literary criticism's practice of incorporating the intentions and biographical context of an author in an interpretation of a text, and instead argues that writing and creator are unrelated.

Taking Nora's story at face value really is extremely retarded and demonstrates a total lack of understanding of the finale that has to be, I imagine, the product of a severely broken brain. It also totally diminishes the power of the finale, since the lie and Kevin and Nora's acceptance of it is the whole point of the scene, and the whole point of their character development. It doesn't matter what Lindelof says or doesn't say -- we can only go by what is there.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't even think it's, strictly speaking, a lie. It's just not true, and she's deluded herself to the point where she basically believes it. She just needs someone else to share the delusion with.

Ultimately, for a show that so often was about the power of delusion -- both in regards to self-delusion, and the way it operates on a mass scale -- I reckon it makes a strong thematic endpoint. The alternative is to have the show come completely unteathered, and raises a thousand stupid questions that it just can't solve.

(Also the more I think about it, the less I feel that Kevin's deathworld actually contributed to the show. I get that it contributes a bit, in terms of characterisation, and I know a lot of people found it very entertaining, but on some level it's basically a massive tangent.)

a good post in the Leftovers thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Professor Shark posted:

I am the one who called Liv Tyler a bad actress but I've rewatched the series twice since then and have revaluated everything I thought about the first season

The first season is amazing.

• Locked thread