Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I started watching the show on a recommendation from my BF and went into it blind and I was blown away. Super pumped for the new season even if it is a bit of a wait. Kind of a shame it's only eight episodes, but it'll probably keep the storytelling tight.

I'm not really one to rewatch episodes right away, but the end of season 2 got me to. That music gets me every time it's used and using it for Kevin and John walking home after everything just felt really poignant.

I'm gonna rewatch both seasons before this one comes out, because boy howdy I am terrible at remembering character names. I had to go on Wikipedia to look up Kevin and John's names, and they're two of the main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

UmOk posted:

And the funny thing about the GR is that none of them had family members lost in the departure. Pattie, Meg, Evy and Laurie. They are mad because they aren't special.

I might be forgetting the conversation with 'ghost Patti' that Kevin had in the well during his afterlife trip, but I thought she said she won big in Jeopardy, was planning to leave her husband for being a lovely abuser with her newfound money, but then he was one of the people that vanished, so it made it a moot point?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

axeil posted:

I really liked Holy Wayne...only after he died and it throws whether what he was actually doing was real into question. It reminded me of pushing the button in the Hatch in S2 of LOST

It's a very Lindelof thing to do, so I imagine we'll never really know for sure. Tommy's antics in Season 2 seem to imply it wasn't real though...unless he was lying about faking it.

I'm still hoping for resolution on the 'wish' Kevin got to make when he found Wayne in S1; also, I liked that whole plot thread of 'was it real or a placebo effect' like when Nora got a hug back in season 1 (didn't she pay like $10,000, or am I getting plot points mixed up?) and Tommy 'inheriting' Wayne's 'gift'. It might just be the music, but that scene from S2 where he's talking to the GR 'rescuees' about Holy Wayne and finishes with 'Now who wants a hug?' was just great.

Some very vague reviews for the final season have dropped; and they sound really positive. But, yanno, grain of salt when 'Lindelof' is misspelled and performances are referred to as 'gut-retching'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I think it's interesting John is doing the 'palm reading' thing now, considering he roughed up the palm reader last season.

Also curious as to where Erika is. I don't think she even got a mention aside from when John was talking about when he was 25.

I was interested seeing Dean come back again, but yikes, I was NOT expecting that at all.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, I figured she left during the three year gap.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Thom and the Heads posted:

Anyone else find themselves turning off HBO shows before the preview of the next week's show? There's no way I'm not seeing the show next week. The guy who plays John continues to be one of the most dynamic actors I've ever seen.

I don't mind them, because for HBO it's usually vague 'in the next weeks' stuff, and yesterday's preview didn't give away anything that hadn't already been given up in the promos.

Seconding the love for John. Kevin Carroll has some serious chops.

Also, a fun little article about the Busey balloon:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.indiewire.com/2017/04/the-leftovers-gary-busey-balloon-season-3-departed-1201805544/amp/

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I thought the conversation between Tommy and Nora was just... cold. 'I left her for my father. I didn't even know who you were.' Like, ouch.

I do think it's kind of funny that from the speculation from last week of where's Lily/where's Erika/how'd Nora get the cast? the answers are all kind of just mundane.

And again they hit the tie-in throughout the seasons; season 1 all of the Perfect Strangers cast departed, season 2 they found Mark Linn-Baker hiding out in Mexico, this episode he's the one that contacts Nora.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm torn about this episode. Considering this took up one of the six remaining episodes, it felt kind of wasteful to spend the entire time on Kevin Sr. and not dip back to anyone in Miracle aside from a couple quick glances of Matt and Mary.

I had honestly forgotten all about Sr's Australia talk from previous seasons until the recap at the beginning.

But since it's the final season, I'm also going into overthinking overdrive mode trying to suss out all the possibilities; Chris told Sr his song brought the rain not stopped them, so by accidentally smushing the last aborigine that knew the song for that point on the song line, crisis averted? He might just be absolutely bonkers and doing his own thing, thinking he's helping. And, after his argument with Matt, when he reads the gospel and gets pissed off that he's never mentioned in it, at the very end, he tells Grace 'you had the wrong Kevin'.
Clearly, I think the obvious answer is that he means his son, but before the Departure HE was Chief of Police.

Like I said, I tend to really overthink things when shows get into final seasons. When Sr. saw everyone working on the boat in the yard and found the photo album in the freezer, I asked my BF 'you think this is some cult poo poo?' then when Grace's story came out, I was just incredibly :smith:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

At the start, I was honestly kind of bored with the whole Kevin chasing 'Evie' plot; it just felt way too telegraphed that it was a delusion/psychotic episode just the way the Patti thing had been.

But once it got to the phone call with Laurie where she got him to look at the picture again, goddamn the rest of the episode was great. The lighting where Kevin and Nora argued as the book burned in the sink where you could see the light from the flames against Nora's face in shots of her and smoke rising behind Kevin in shots of him just looked really cool, and that final close up of Nora with the water streaming down her face was just a beautiful, melancholy shot.

I'm also wondering if the whole thing with being turned down had to do not with the actual response, but in the way they responded. The question was 'Do you nod?' Self-immolation guy last week asked Kevin sr. 'Would you kill a baby if it would cure cancer?' 'No.' 'That is exactly what I said.' and Nora finally said 'Of course I nod.' Who knows, the 'correct' answer they could have been looking for could have just been nodding or shaking your head.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I never got the vibe that Laurie was manipulative or anything, maybe just based on my own personal experiences from seeing therapists for so long, a lot of it seems like a long running dr/patient confidentiality thing with her, almost always to a fault.

That cold open was just... wow. Bringing back the 'Sam?' Woman from the pilot was stone cold. And Laurie understood; she could empathize, she had been through pretty much the exact same drat thing. But, at the same time, there's still that professional level of distance where a therapist (in most cases; it could vary on type, state, degree etc) will not bridge the gap to share such a thing.

It always felt to me like Laurie would start with good intentions but be her own stumbling point due to that sort of 'clinical' approach; after breaking from the GR in Season2; she wanted to get more out, but Tommy as a proxy was more of a cushion; she wanted to publish the book, but the edits made her too raw and she ended up starting an altercation.

I did like her and Nora and Matt this ep, aside from adults can't explain politely punch out over the lighter (unless that was symbolism for not ready to let go yet; but giving it to Kevin was).

Also liked Laurie talking Kevin down from his break of 'seeing Edie' very gently a few eps back, then showing up saying she was in this ep about the drowning/gospel deal this episode, then slowly revealing the 'Judas turn' just for a chance to check in with Kevin first.

It was all just kinda sad-pretty.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Professor Shark posted:

I have the piano version of Where Is My Mind in my playlist for driving to work

The music drove me nuts sometimes, because in some places I didn't realize it wasn't an original composition. That one it took me forever to find out what the song was.

When the cover of Wherever I May Roam started last episode, there were such long pauses at first, I almost thought I was imagining it at first (then I had to Google some of the lyrics 'cause I was blanking hard on the title)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I noticed in the final scene that both Kevins, John, Michael and the dog were there, but I didn't see Grace (unless she was out on the lawn and I didn't see her).

Wonder if that means something happened to her during the storm, or if she was just inside.

Does anyone know if next week's finale is extended length? I feel like there's still a lot of wrap up for the usual ~1 hr run time.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I was more wondering if there might be some stuff next week like a flash back or something during the storm for the non afterlife faring characters mostly. I'm not expecting everything wrapped up in a neat little package.

I'm also hoping there's at least a quick look at whether or not things went crazy back in Jardin. Is the inflatable Busey okay?!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lord Krangdar posted:

That, along with Dean and the guy yelling in the airport, showed that people around the world were starting to believe the apocalypse was imminent. It wasn't just the core characters.

Speaking of Dean, I was honestly surprised there was no real check in on Tommy or people getting restless in Jarden (Jardin?) after the second episode. They made a big deal about stepping up the police force leading up to the departure, the protesters 'poisoning' the lake, Pillar Man 'departing' etc. And Tommy had to shoot Dean in the head to save Kevin and was immediately like 'I don't need to talk to anybody about it'. For a guy that used to run around with Holy Wayne and has a psych for a mom, it seems like an odd stance to take.

I'm wondering if A) Chris Zylka was just unavailable for more B) shorter season C) that sort of thing not important to the bigger picture of this season

I do kind of think it would have been an interesting thing to have a sort of 'meanwhile, back home' ep, even if it could have split the roll of things. Still hoping for maybe a little peek back at the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

For me the saddest part was Matt playing Mad Libs with Nora, and him speaking of how afraid he was over the possible outcomes of his treatment.

They fell back onto something they liked to do as kids one last time before going on to face something scary and unknown.

• Locked thread