Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006
so i just watched both seasons of this show recently. watched all of season 1 in one day because i thought it was amazing and got a bit burned out on season 2 as it only seemed so-so.

and then we went to the hotel with kevin and i loved it again. i'm super excited for the 3rd season. also super excited for all the lost parallels because i loving love lost and am glad this is like lost with much better pacing/plotting.

i kinda hope we find out if (s2 spoilers) tommy is faking or not though. then again...if it works who's to say it really isn't real? maybe tommy is just a parallel for the placebo effect

i mostly wanna know (s1 spoilers) what the hell kevin wished for when he was with holy wayne. to have a family again?

or was wayne just a huge fraud like he feared? i dunno. i really liked holy wayne and i was a bit sad he doesn't seem to play much into the plot anymore.

but then again, i should probably prep myself for never getting this stuff answered.

also matt is the best character and he makes me think of john locke constantly which makes me extremely worried for him this season :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

Kevin-wife did lose her unborn child.

Meg is so blatantly the worst. Her whole character boils down to the season 1 episode where she spends the afternoon loving with people GR-style, then attacks Matt when he shows up with the pamphlet about her (effectively the same exact thing), then delights in how they're going to gently caress with people even harder. The only flaw in her character is that they could make it more explicit why anyone even follows her; it's probably that she offers them the freedom to gently caress with people then act like victims/martyrs when there is reprisal. I love her last scene in season 2 where she starts singing her triumphant little "I just hosed with the entire town :smug:" song and Kevin just wanders away.

I disagree. I really like Meg because she's broken just like everyone else, except she's expressed it as trolling everyone and being a gigantic rear end in a top hat instead of trying to drown yourself in a lake or attacking anyone religious and burning down their house.

edit: also Meg is arguably sadder than anyone else because her entire goal is for people to not forget about something that didn't even have an impact on her. She's survivor's guilt taken out to infinity. She's additionally an interesting insight into how people end up radicalizing themselves when they believe they're unquestionable.

Also I liked both seasons. I liked all of Season 1 and thought the ending was okay not great. I thought most of Season 2 was meh until International Assassin and I loved that the ending was giant middle finger to everyone in Jarden who thought they were special. The GR are a depressed teenager wailing that "it's not okay, no one is special" and actually being right.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 6, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

The only thing that I think is better in season 1 than in season 2 is the fact that Holy Wayne had more screentime.

And Laurie definitely did lose her baby, they tell you directly through the visuals rather than through dialogue.

I really liked Holy Wayne...only after he died and it throws whether what he was actually doing was real into question. It reminded me of pushing the button in the Hatch in S2 of LOST

It's a very Lindelof thing to do, so I imagine we'll never really know for sure. Tommy's antics in Season 2 seem to imply it wasn't real though...unless he was lying about faking it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I (still) think LOST was loving incredible and I will defend it a lot, even Season 6. The beginning of Season 3 really is poo poo though.

Also nothing beats S6 spoilers the MIB as Locke constantly giving speeches and mocking everyone. I loved the taunting speech he gave Ben after he revealed himself as the MIB. Straight up mocking the dude who's skin he's wearing and also reminding Ben that he's a cold-blooded murderer and not "the Good Guys" like he's been saying the entire show.

I also still wonder if (more S6 spoilers) the MIB was right when he was talking to Sawyer and that nothing bad would actually happen if he left the Island. When you get the whole origin story it's really hard not to feel like MIB was right and Jacob really was a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Basically if you focused on the Island being magic and wanting to know how it "really worked" you were in for a bad time but if you read the whole thing as a big philosophical debate about the nature of good and evil (also the benefits and follies of blind faith) set in a sci-fi/fantasy setting it was Real Good.

HanabaL03 posted:

Anyways. I think my favorite scene of The Leftovers is Kevin singing "Homeward Bound". Beautifully shot, and reading about how they chose that scene is pretty funny.

I know everyone gushes over that scene but I really didn't like it. I get that it's all supposed to be a metaphor but for some reason the whole "you have to sing karaoke this time" gimmick didn't sit right with me. I don't have any rational basis for disliking it, I just don't. Maybe because it felt like it was too easy for Kevin?

Anyway, the new season starts on Sunday right?

oliwan posted:

I'd unironically love to hear why you think the Lost finale was great. Specifically with regards to what you take away from it, i.e. how it changed you in some way, or how it sheds an interesting light on any of the themes the show explores. 

No one has ever been able to tell me how the finale helps to bring that show beyond the superficial level of the narrative itself, what its message is, what it offers as food for thought beyond the story. 

Finale spoilers obviously.

Jack finally became the Man of Faith and accepted his destiny...ironically by seeing physical evidence. Jack dies and actually the only right choice to be the new Jacob gets picked (i.e. Hurley, the nice dude who is the only one who won't try and turn it into another Epic Struggle and won't gently caress it up). Ben got a chance to redeem his evil deeds in the future working with Hurley. The not-horrible people all got to live and have a second chance. Claire resolved her abandonment arc.

If you were looking for some grand cosmic meaning or the answers to mysteries that were mostly made up by fans it wasn't there, but every character except maybe Kate had a satisfying end to their stories.

The food for thought I thought it offered was "don't be so rigid in your convictions, because you might be wrong." It's a recurring theme throughout the show that's cropped up a number of times. Also that the only people who are capable of wielding power are the ones who absolutely do not want to have it. We also see that the real message is that everyone (except apparently Mr. Eko) deserves a second chance. It's the whole point of the sideways universe.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 13, 2017

• Locked thread