Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ausmund posted:

The show isn't really about the departed. The flashback pre-departer episode in season 1 was a big clue on that. There is something much bigger going on.

Also Virgil is a liar. He didn't give Kevin poison. He gave him a drug. The same drug his dad is on when he sees him through the tv. "Devil's Tounge". The hotel is not the afterlife. Only 98% dream, 2% spiritual realm.

Definitely. The show is about survivors of tragedy and picking up the pieces of your life after a tragedy. I think people who want to watch the show just to find out what happened are watching it for all the wrong reasons. We might get a few more clues about the Departure event in this season but I don't feel the creators have any responsibility to explain it. Perrotta certainly didn't feel a responsibility to explain it in the book and I don't think they have one, either.

The other thing is that, even if they explain the Departure in some way, they would do the show a disservice to give anyone any sort of closure even if they discover more about the event. The whole thing with tragedy is that people often attempt to understand why as though it will help them cope better with the aftermath, but it rarely does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Onomarchus posted:

Say what you will, but dogkind got that sandwich in the end.

That one beat just made me think this season's going to be really good. It seemed like the writing was were really on point in this whole episode.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

They were feeling sad and down and jumped on a trampoline. Trampolines are fun and good. This isn't hard.

On The Watch Lindelof said they got the idea from someone on the writing staff's aunt (iirc). They just wanted something that was genuinely joyful and fun and an activity rather than :words: about stuff. The idea is weird, the show is weird, and I think it worked.

• Locked thread