Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

FrensaGeran posted:

If they could not change the title sequence from last season I'd appreciate it.

I think it would actually be great to have a third title sequence. The first two each felt like how a different in-universe artist would interpret the departure, and continuing to explore that concept would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

once you definitively found out they were all really dead,

They weren't. I still can't believe people misunderstood the finale this badly.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If the minimum bar for a good TV show is that the show has to "change you in some way" as the viewer, then I come bearing bad news about the entire medium.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, they leap to the idea that Kevin is Jesus without thinking maybe he's just a Lazarus.

Matt's very much the Locke of the show-- someone who, while correct that something supernatural and special is going on, leaps to unreasonable conclusions he can't be talked out of. An idea pops into his head about what might be true and he becomes convinced that it is, charging forward without regard for who could be hurt.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Fargo's an anthology show, each season is a different story in a different time period. The seasons have allusions to each other and to the film, but you could watch them in any order, or skip a season if you really don't like it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Niwrad posted:

So are there any theories on the guy who burned himself alive? Is he someone who was turned down from the people who will help "send you over" to the other side?

This seems likely to me. If they're the types to put people through IQ exams and various other screening rigamarole, a moral quiz with utilitarian trolley problems seems in-character too.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a Utilitarian thought experiment. If you subscribe to the idea that moral good stems from maximizing pleasure and minimizing suffering, you let the baby die in order to save untold millions. If you're on board with some other moral philosophy (maybe you're a Kantian concerned with the morality of specific acts irrespective of justifications), then you refuse to kill.

Of course, the question is useless. Killing a baby is straight-up unthinkable in practical contexts, so the scenario has to laboriously pile on a ton of absurd bullshit (clairvoyance and cancer cures) to even put the idea on the table-- which means the question has nothing to do with practically-applied morality.

Then again, maybe that's what the interviewee is supposed to recognize and respond with. The guy who immolated himself in the previous episode gave the opposite answer from Nora, so it seems like they want some third-way trick answer, a rejection of the question, or a particular way of thinking about the question that Nora and the other guy failed to demonstrate.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 8, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

According to this episode, everyone who had committed to entering the machine is now a missing person. If everyone was just killing themselves in their own way out of despair, they wouldn't be missing, they'd be on record as suicides.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

So far, the only alternative music that's synchronized well with the credit sequence was the Perfect Strangers theme. The other two songs haven't really gelled with the visuals.

I agree it would have been better to have a totally new intro for season 3. The two sequences feel like examples of what different in-universe artists would create in response to the departure, and it would have been nice to pursue that theme again with yet another take.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 9, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Her three real options were:
-Hang on to the baby and wait for the next post (downside: potentially miss the interview)
-Steal the baby to make the interview (downside: you stole someone's baby)
-Leave the baby with the mother (downside: the mother tried to avoid this and will potentially not get hired)

I don't think it's analogous to the cancer question at all. Three choices instead of binary, non-lethal stakes, outcomes are contained to the participants instead of helping/dooming a larger group.

The scenario was definitely written to be consonant with the cancer question, what with both being Moral Baby Conundrums, but the "your answers didn't match" theory doesn't work because there's no such thing as a matching answer between the questions.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yep. In the very first episode, they invade a departure memorial, which doesn't add up with their stated motive of wanting people to remember, but fits perfectly with their MO of being nihilistically adversarial and dogmatically insistent that people grieve ~correctly~.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Even after turning against the GR, I think Laurie hasn't fully let go of the idea that the world is over and done with now that the departure's happened, and that what's left on Earth is pointless. "We're all gone" feels like a nod to that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The tension of the scene is about whether the phone call is going to be a reason for Laurie to reconsider, or a final sweet note for her to end it all on. Then she chooses, and I don't think her choice is ambiguous.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lindelof has actually said that within the Leftovers' universe, atheism doesn't really work anymore. Because of the departure and the way it happened (too clean and tidy to be a natural phenomenon, too far beyond human technology to be man-made), a higher power/intelligence must be involved-- whether divine or demonic or alien or whatever.

A huge point of interest for the show is examining the outrageous and desperate ways people start to behave when they get confirmation there is a god of some kind-- an active god, ad that-- but that this god is not explaining itself.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think Nora's story was literally false but emotionally honest.

I think she did realize-- without needing to actually go through-- that if the departed went anywhere habitable, then her family would be as she described, a lucky outlier among an "orphaned" population. Even if the departed literally warped into heaven, that would still be true. Whether she went through the machine or not, the only thing about the story that changes is when the realization hit her.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Thinking about the "netsplit" version of the departure Nora gives in this episode, I think it's definitely the version of events that would give people in-universe the most consolation.

The best possible thing that could have happened to the departed, the rapture where they go to heaven, would fill people with envy and dissatisfaction. That's what drove Mark Linn-Baker; his colleagues got to be in on something mysterious and fascinating, and he got left out.

The worst possible thing that could happen to them, getting warped out into space and dying in agony, would be underwhelming and heartbreaking. Something massively mysterious happened, and all it did was instakill a hell of a lot of people.

Reality splitting into two kind of strikes a happy medium: the departed aren't in on some big secret, they're just as confused, they're worse off in some respects, but have plentiful resources and a shot at being okay.

The fact that it's such a happy medium could of course be taken as an especially strong sign that Nora made it up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Aexo posted:

So did the world Nora visit lose 98% of the population? Or was it a mirror world where the 2% went to? If the former, where did their 98% go to? If the latter, how was there infrastructure already in place?

Reality branched out, and 98% of people ended up on one branch while 2% ended up on the other branch. Each group saw the other vanish. Both branches of reality have an Earth, an Australia, an America, a Mapleton, etc. The LADR machine can send people from one branch of reality to the other.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

*Hears some lyrics from the theme song* God dammit, are the writers going to put this in EVERY episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's the worst possible approach you could take with X-Files. The episodes with an over-arching story are absolutely terrible. All of the show's appeal is in the one-offs.

• Locked thread