Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Simone Poodoin posted:

it's a bit overcomplicated system...

mls.txt

Simone Poodoin posted:

...but makes sense.

not_mls.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think most people in Portland are hoping somebody picks "Taylor" so Jermaine & Steve can both go to a new home together.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

They can be the new designated drivers for Liam and Jake and anyone else who needs a bottle to put this season behind them.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
Basically the only surprise from FC Dallas' expansion draft list is that they left Chris Seitz unprotected. Considering he's been our #1 for all of last season and most of the season before that, his loss would probably be a big deal - Jesse Gonzalez shipped five goals to Houston (!) in his first match last season and never really looked comfortable in any match he played after that, which is odd considering how strong he played in the 2015 playoffs.

At any rate, the only team in the market for a keeper is probably Minnesota, since Atlanta already (probably) has Brad Guzan. And if Minnesota is in the market for a keeper, they're almost certainly going for Clint Irwin over Chris Seitz. It's not a slam dunk, as Irwin has been somewhat less than his best since coming back from injury, but I feel pretty good about Seitz staying with Dallas and either continuing to be the #1 (Gonzalez is, after all, only 21 years old) or else backing up and mentoring Gonzalez.

There's some tiny chance Zach Loyd gets taken, but he missed pretty much the whole season with concussion problems. He may end up being the second coming of George John, if he gets taken in the draft only to never play a single minute for the team that drafted him.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'd take literally any other keeper right now. Look at the list of who we've had since Jimmy Nielsen... Eric Kronberg, Tim Melia, Alec Kann? They're all real bad.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I hope Donny Toia stays and Harry Shipp gets picked.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I hope someone picks Tornaghi so we can promote one of our youth keepers and get them cup minutes, he's too good to be stuck on the bench behind Ousted at this point is his career. I ALSO hope someone picks Barnes but that will never happen because Houston gave him an awful loving contract that we are now stuck with unless those rumours of Owen Coyle and his bizarre man-crush buying him from us for Blackburn in January bear fruit (they won't).

I'd be sorry to see Techera go but he'd be a good pickup for Minnesota if he can find his 2015 form again, and frankly we have Too Many Attacking Midfielders so something has to give.

I am utterly perplexed that we both re-signed and then PROTECTED Erik Hurtado but oh well, he's decent depth and, maybe THIS offseason we'll sign a striker or two that are actually consistent and mean he'll never see the field.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

I hope someone picks Tornaghi...he's too good to be stuck on the bench behind Ousted at this point is his career.

Are we talking about the same dude? All I've seen of Tornaghi was "Rais M'Bolhi in Philly" levels of terrible.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

JayMax posted:

I hope Harry Shipp gets good cause he has one of the best names in MLS.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

Are we talking about the same dude? All I've seen of Tornaghi was "Rais M'Bolhi in Philly" levels of terrible.

Eh. He's looked serviceable but maybe I'm biased because I've only seen him play against Canadian/CONCACAF minnows. I'd say he's no worse than, say, Brad Knighton, who landed pretty firmly in NE before Shuttleworth displaced him.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
LA Galaxy might be sharing their stadium with the Chargers next year.

https://twitter.com/BruceOrwall/status/808737669434015744

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

What the hell did LA think was going to happen moving a terrible rams team over there? it's going to take 2 years at least to get a decent squad together

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

trem_two posted:

LA Galaxy might be sharing their stadium with the Chargers next year.

https://twitter.com/BruceOrwall/status/808737669434015744

First the Rams and now the Chargers. We only wanted the Raiders.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

First the Rams and now the Chargers. We only wanted the Raiders.

Who are more likely to end up in Vegas sharing a stadium with David Beckham's team when he finally gives up on Miami. Life is full of ironies!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Expansion Draft Picks
Atlanta
Donny Toia (MTL)
Zach Lloyd (DAL)
Clint Irwin (TOR)
Mikey Ambrose (ORL)
Alec Kann (SKC)

Minnesota
Chris Duvall (NYRB)
Collen Warner (HOU)
Mohammed Saeid (CLB)
Jeff Attinella (RSL)
Femi Hollinger-Janzen (NE)

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 13, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Femi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Well we went and did it. We hired Curt Onalfo. :sigh: How uninspired.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/dcunited/status/808754395676610560

heh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

lmao

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Apparently Atlanta are trading Irwin to...TFC

There seems to be a lucrative market in flipping keepers for Garberbucks :shrug:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

trem_two posted:

There seems to be a lucrative market in flipping keepers for Garberbucks :shrug:

This is loving nonsense.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Holy gently caress, Onalfo speaks pretty good Spanish. I shouldn't be surprised in this day and age, but it's heartening.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Holy gently caress, Onalfo speaks pretty good Spanish. I shouldn't be surprised in this day and age, but it's heartening.
Didn't Onalfo play for a year or two in Mexico before he was one of the original MLS'ers?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

trem_two posted:

Don Garber, the worst thing to ever happen to American soccer.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

tk posted:

This is loving nonsense.

The more this happens, the sooner we can dispense with having an expansion draft at all and just tossing new teams some extra Garberbucks or something so they can build rosters their way.

edit: the rumour is that Mark Bloom is going back the other way, but maybe that's just Twitter speculating because he's a Georgia native.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 13, 2016

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Well we went and did it. We hired Curt Onalfo. :sigh: How uninspired.

Considering he was so bad we hired Ben Olsen to replace him, I look forward to your irrelevance.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/Robert2TheMax/status/808766928571379714

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

JayMax posted:

I'm sad. Toia is good & cheap, congrats Atlanta.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

MLS.tweet.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Dadgum Seattle liberals and their hatred for cops! :bahgawd:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Got a survey from MLS about Austin and the potential for a team. :rudebox:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

a team in every city

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Eh. He's looked serviceable but maybe I'm biased because I've only seen him play against Canadian/CONCACAF minnows. I'd say he's no worse than, say, Brad Knighton, who landed pretty firmly in NE before Shuttleworth displaced him.

Tornaghi was quite good in a few games with a very bad Chicago team. I was kind of surprised that we shipped him out.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

JayMax posted:

I'm sad. Toia is good & cheap, congrats Atlanta.

Actually, congrats Orlando:

https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/808785339561218048

Also, the Whitecaps got themselves an actual right back. I'd ask our Houston contingent if Sheanon Williams is any good, but considering who they had playing in that position last year literally anyone would likely be an improvement.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
gently caress expansion drafts

also just really gently caress the concept of expansion in general

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/808818847616671744

Wasn't part of LA's problems was that GDS was a "does whatever he wants" kind of player and JJJ is the exact same thing? Seems unwise to put them together.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Makes sense except for the fact that Austin has lost two lower-tier teams because they've had no suitable place to play and it's like pulling teeth to get the University of Texas to give up enough land to build a stadium.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fucitol posted:

gently caress expansion drafts
Expansion: fine
Expansion drafts: hilarious given the amount of released/free agents/foreigners that would be available to a new MLS organization.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I was hoping that Orlando and NY2 would have been the last teams to do a draft, hopefully the two United's are the last ones to ever do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Expansion: fine
Expansion drafts: hilarious given the amount of released/free agents/foreigners that would be available to a new MLS organization.

Yeah, this. The expansion draft is no longer necessary here (for the same reason that the Superdraft is basically American Soccer's Appendix), but if they insist on doing them then I will continue to enjoy the hilarious shenanigans that result.

• Locked thread