Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

In other off season minutiae, Diego Valeri is on loan to my garbage rear end D5 coed futsal team.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Johan Venegas is off to Minnesota, traded for a draft pick or a bag of balls or something. He's still a dumb player with no technique, but he runs a lot so I guess that's something.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/LAGalaxy/status/808818847616671744

Wasn't part of LA's problems was that GDS was a "does whatever he wants" kind of player and JJJ is the exact same thing? Seems unwise to put them together.

Nope. Gio's problem was Keane played the exact same position. Gio has certainly changed his style and Bruce even had him playing defense at times.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Johan Venegas is off to Minnesota, traded for a draft pick or a bag of balls or something. He's still a dumb player with no technique, but he runs a lot so I guess that's something.
Look at how long of a career Dominic Oduro has fashioned out of being a really fast guy with no technique.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazy Ted posted:

Look at how long of a career Dominic Oduro has fashioned out of being a really fast guy with no technique.

You'd think Montreal would realise Oduro was getting old and keep his obvious successor, but I guess they wanted Chris Duvall more.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

highme posted:

In other off season minutiae, Diego Valeri is on loan to my garbage rear end D5 coed futsal team.

Did it help?

Seattle also sent no one anywhere in the expansion draft, from what I heard.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

He's not even fast though, he just has lots of stamina. And he's really dumb so he never understands tactics or know where to run or pass.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Was Taters posted:

Did it help?

Seattle also sent no one anywhere in the expansion draft, from what I heard.

Its because our roster is full of bad old overpaid guys and useless "rookies" who were carried by our cool and good players who were all actually protected.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Jack2142 posted:

Its because our roster is full of bad old overpaid guys and useless "rookies" who were carried by our cool and good players who were all actually protected.

It's all good. Think what a lovely thing it would have been to have Schmetzer sidle up to you on the parade trolley (after it munched a bike cop) and say 'by the way, you'll need to hop off..'

highme
May 25, 2001

Was Taters posted:

Did it help?

We probably would have won regardless, but he (and Shade Pratt, who played a couple of games for the Thorns) made things just a little unfair.

Jack2142 posted:

Probably because only 10 players total were taken.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

highme posted:

That's one thing I hope never goes away about this league. The players are so much more willing to do this than say, NFL players. We had Taylor Graham show up at the ECS Sunday League a couple of weeks ago, but I missed it. :(

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

trem_two posted:

Apparently Atlanta are trading Irwin to...TFC

There seems to be a lucrative market in flipping keepers for Garberbucks :shrug:

lol, legal extortion. So we lost duvall and we released two center backs. On top of that two other defenders are injured. We really need to shore up the back line and quick. Hey how about a DP center back? I know it's a novel idea that doesn't align with MLS primary goal of tricking people into arenas to see past it goal scorers who people recognize but I think it would help out a lot.

highme
May 25, 2001

foobardog posted:

That's one thing I hope never goes away about this league. The players are so much more willing to do this than say, NFL players. We had Taylor Graham show up at the ECS Sunday League a couple of weeks ago, but I missed it. :(

I read an article on Deadspin in the past couple of weeks that was about Cam Newton's habit of joining in random pick up games of any sport. It made me like him even more.

Do you guys have any coed teams?

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Seltzer posted:

lol, legal extortion. So we lost duvall and we released two center backs. On top of that two other defenders are injured. We really need to shore up the back line and quick. Hey how about a DP center back? I know it's a novel idea that doesn't align with MLS primary goal of tricking people into arenas to see past it goal scorers who people recognize but I think it would help out a lot.

Toronto tried that and the league literally blocked the transfer

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

highme posted:

I read an article on Deadspin in the past couple of weeks that was about Cam Newton's habit of joining in random pick up games of any sport. It made me like him even more.

Do you guys have any coed teams?

Cam... :unsmith:

We do! That Sunday league (Pub League) is coed. We basically first made a coed beginner team and academy, but then found that there are a lot of assholes even at low-level rec soccer, so we started organizing our own. It's my go-to recommendation for people who are interested in playing, because since it's sort of a "everyone is really on the same team" mindset since teams are changed every season, everyone tends to be friendly and not aiming to kill you.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

How many people did you have who only joined to look like Messi or Ronaldo compared to the beginners? Because that's what happens every time I find a chill league or pick up.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Toronto tried that and the league literally blocked the transfer

in hindsight it worked out for the best but lol that the league can tell a team shipping 90 goals a season to not buy defenders

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

How many people did you have who only joined to look like Messi or Ronaldo compared to the beginners? Because that's what happens every time I find a chill league or pick up.

I play(ed) in an indoor league with this problem, so they made facility employees ref all C division games rather than random volunteers. If a player was too good for C, they were placed in A/B or forced to play only defense or keeper or something.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We do the same as joshtothemaxx posted. If you're too good, we'll refund your money, but try to get you on one of our competitive teams.

The fact I've never been too good tells you how lovely a player I am.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Wasn't there another draft about t-

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/809493392912764928

Oh

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

The players on the list were dire. If they were a decent player, they were on 250k+ wages.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

So what happens to those players now? Do they become free agents?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

The move on to the Island of Misfit MLS Rejects

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I think they are still part of the re-entry draft, which generally covers anyone "coming back" to MLS. Basically, it makes no sense to take them in the waiver draft because I think you have to take them at the same salary and contract. You can renegotiate through the re-entry draft.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
^^The waiver draft is specifically for people who get waived by a team but don't meet the criteria for the re-entry draft - people who fall through it are pretty much free agents. But the part about having to meet their current contract is accurate, which is probably the main reason nobody was taken.

Simone Poodoin posted:

Basically yes, or in other words:

Crazy Ted posted:

They move on to the Island of Misfit MLS Rejects

Maybe some of them will be signed by somebody at less than they were earning, but I guess most will end up leaving the league.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 15, 2016

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Oh yeah, I'm wrong. The whole point is they're not eligible for the re-entry draft:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/15/no-selections-made-2016-mls-waiver-draft

MLS posted:

The Waiver Draft consisted of players who had been waived by their clubs but didn't meet the minimum years of service requirement for the Re-Entry Draft or Free Agency

Under-contract players who were selected in the Waiver Draft would've been automatically added to the drafting club’s roster. Clubs that claimed out-of-contract players would've had to issue a genuine offer to the selected player.

The players not selected are now free to sign with the team of their choice.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

All of this is Bad and Dumb and should be gotten rid of.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Ah so the guys on the list can be signed by anyone but will not be on any drafts?

I guess Jordan Smith will be back blasting crosses into the stands for Saprissa next season

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/WilliamsBob75/status/809511241920221189

Jesus Christ

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

How dumb do you have to be to pay that

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Here are the candidates

https://twitter.com/JeffKassouf/status/809513507196702721

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Star Man posted:

Despite the Colorado Rapids not repeating the 2014 and 2015 seasons, I still want Tim Hinchey and Pablo Mastroeni shot in the loving head.

About that...

https://twitter.com/ColoradoRapids/status/809520228187144192

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

At this point I think these fees may be the only thing keeping most teams alive.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So you're saying people who bought in originally are getting their money back by other people coming in and buying in for more. man, that sure sounds like some kind of...plan? Program? Arrangement? Can't quite think of a word, I bet some Italian dude can come up with something.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

whypick1 posted:

So you're saying people who bought in originally are getting their money back by other people coming in and buying in for more. man, that sure sounds like some kind of...plan? Program? Arrangement? Can't quite think of a word, I bet some Italian dude can come up with something.

"porcheria" or "governo" if you're so inclined.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

"governo" if you're so inclined.
I thought Governo was Andrea Pirlo role in midfield.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

José Salvatierra id going from LDA to FC Dallas he's a useful right back, and I'm willing to bet he'll get a DUI some time while there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Yet another draft today, this time Re-Entry.

Round 1
Houston - Dylan Remick (SEA)
Orlando - Patrick McClain (ORL)
Seattle - Brian Meredith (SJ)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

Round 1

Well well. Happy trails, Dylan Remick. You were...not the most inspiring player in the depths of the early season swoon, but you had promise. Here's hoping for a bright future.

Time to look into Brian Meredith.

E. Oh right, he was our third string GK from a bit ago. Thought he sounded familiar.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Round 1

That's McLain. And he had been with Chicago.

Eric Wynalda is claiming the Fire are up for sale. That could be a good thing. On the other hand, it's Wynalda, so I'm not holding my breath.

• Locked thread