Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I haven't been paying attention to much transfer news but I've seen like 10 Costa Ricans linked to various clubs. There's also the crazy rumor that some firm wants to buy the Cosmos rights + the Redbulls franchise and rebrand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Seltzer posted:

I haven't been paying attention to much transfer news but I've seen like 10 Costa Ricans linked to various clubs. There's also the crazy rumor that some firm wants to buy the Cosmos rights + the Redbulls franchise and rebrand.

A league featuring the Cosmos and a steady stream of expansion teams. What could go wrong?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Rumor: Roy Miller to Portland!

Views: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- *intake of breath*- OOOOOOOOOOOOL! :fap: I need him back in this league.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Ulises Segura and Daniel Colindres from Saprissa are definitely going abroad, they're good so I'll be glad to see them leave the purple cunts, they will be useful in almost any MLS club.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Views: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- *intake of breath*- OOOOOOOOOOOOL! :fap: I need him back in this league.

He did this the other day

https://twitter.com/tdmas_cr/status/809595021053796353

He was wearing purple so of course the ref didn't give the penalty.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004
Got a tour of Orlando City's new downtown stadium while it's currently still under construction. Looking decent. Grass should be installed soon according to the tour guide. This picture is from the supporters section known as 'The Wall' which is terraced so standing room only.

Now only if the team was less trash. I believe in you Kreis.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

Well well. Happy trails, Dylan Remick. You were...not the most inspiring player in the depths of the early season swoon, but you had promise. Here's hoping for a bright future.

Time to look into Brian Meredith.

E. Oh right, he was our third string GK from a bit ago. Thought he sounded familiar.

I will be happy Miller is going to probably play every S2 game instead of sitting on the bench behind Frei.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Conartist posted:

Got a tour of Orlando City's new downtown stadium while it's currently still under construction. Looking decent. Grass should be installed soon according to the tour guide. This picture is from the supporters section known as 'The Wall' which is terraced so standing room only.

Now only if the team was less trash. I believe in you Kreis.

This looks awesome. Is it opening next year?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Back to the pick up/rec league discussion from earlier. We have 60 or so people that play with our group. We field 2 coed futsal teams year round, 2 (maybe 3 this year) coed outdoor teams in the spring/summer, and a 7v7 team in the dead of winter. We also play pickup at least 1x a week and 2x a week in the summer when we have enough daylight to make it worthwhile. Skill levels range from played in college to just started playing in the last year or so (like myself). Of all those games & pick up days, there's only been 1 dude who has been a problem, and he's not "trying to Messi" he's just a ball hog that always fouls way to hard for "super chill pick up".

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

There have been a pile of players from Saprissa linked to Portland because of Porter's trip there. It's pretty safe to say that nobody in Portland thinks this rumor has any truth behind.

David Guzman on the other hand...

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Chicago Fire sign Legia Warsaw striker Nemanja Nikolic.

This may be the first Fire signing in a while actually worth getting excited over.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/MNUFC/status/811268645611520000

Gleeson gone?

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
A homeless man seen shambling around downtown Seattle in a genuine like-new New England Revolution cold weather jacket. Or maybe I'm just not familiar with their roster...

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

I'd say it's more likely to be a motivation for him to excel, especially given his off-field shenanigans. We sorely need a decent backup keeper though, even if Gleeson gets to keep his job.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

They just confirmed the JG Ortiz deal. LDA sold him to Herediano and they loaned him to DC.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Is that normal in CR to sell-then-loan?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Not really, this was a silly transfer drama where Herediano were constantly negotiating with the guy in the last phase of the tournament, probably to destabilize the already in shambles LDA, but they didn't reallly want him or need him, pretty shady mind games and bullshit.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

plainswalker75 posted:

I'd say it's more likely to be a motivation for him to excel, especially given his off-field shenanigans. We sorely need a decent backup keeper though, even if Gleeson gets to keep his job.

Gleeson better stick around; he's a regular at my coffee shop and he's a REALLY good tipper.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

plainswalker75 posted:

Yeah, I remember a few games where Gleeson took knocks where I wished we could sub in our good backup. Then I remembered Gleeson was the good backup. :smith:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bio-Hazard posted:

A homeless man seen shambling around downtown Seattle in a genuine like-new New England Revolution cold weather jacket. Or maybe I'm just not familiar with their roster...

When did Borchers join the Revs?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
All home openers have been announced:

Friday, March 3, 2017:
9:30 PM ET – Portland Timbers vs. Minnesota United FC (Providence Park)

Saturday, March 4, 2017:
2:00 PM ET – Columbus Crew SC vs. Chicago Fire (MAPFRE Stadium)
4:00 PM ET – LA Galaxy vs. FC Dallas (StubHub Center)
4:30 PM ET – Real Salt Lake vs. Toronto FC (Rio Tinto Stadium)
6:00 PM ET – Colorado Rapids vs. New England Revolution (Dick’s Sporting Goods Park)
7:00 PM ET – D.C. United vs. Sporting Kansas City (RFK Stadium)
8:30 PM ET – Houston Dynamo vs. Seattle Sounders FC (BBVA Compass Stadium)
10:00 PM ET – San Jose Earthquakes vs. Montreal Impact (Avaya Stadium)

Sunday, March 5, 2017:
5:00 PM ET – Orlando City SC vs. New York City FC (Orlando City Stadium)
7:00 PM ET – Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls (Bobby Dodd Stadium)
9:30 PM ET – Vancouver Whitecaps FC vs. Philadelphia Union (BC Place)

Saturday, March 11, 2017:
2:00 PM ET – New England Revolution vs. Orlando City SC (Gillette Stadium)
2:00 PM ET – Chicago Fire vs. Real Salt Lake (Toyota Park)
4:00 PM ET – New York Red Bulls vs. Colorado Rapids (Red Bull Arena)
4:30 PM ET – Philadelphia Union vs. Toronto FC (Talen Energy Stadium)
7:00 PM ET – Montreal Impact vs. Seattle Sounders FC (Olympic Stadium)
9:00 PM ET – Sporting Kansas City vs. FC Dallas (Children’s Mercy Park)

Sunday, March 12, 2017:
2:00 PM ET – New York City FC vs. D.C. United (Yankee Stadium)
5:00 PM ET – Minnesota United FC vs. Atlanta United (TCF Bank Stadium)

Saturday, March 18, 2017:
8:00 PM ET – FC Dallas vs. New England Revolution (Toyota Stadium)

Sunday, March 19, 2017:
7:00 PM ET – Seattle Sounders FC vs. New York Red Bulls (CenturyLink Field)

Friday, March 31, 2017:
7:30 PM ET – Toronto FC vs. Sporting Kansas City (BMO Field)

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

trem_two posted:

Friday, March 31, 2017:

this is the worst league

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004

trem_two posted:

Friday, March 3, 2017:
9:30 PM ET – Portland Timbers vs. Minnesota United FC (Providence Park)

Timbers on top as usual.

Well, if you don't count last season... or 2011, or 2012, or 2014...

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Amazingly, this will be the first time ever Seattle has opened the year on the road.

Azerban posted:

this is the worst league

At least you'll be watch that game on not-UniMαs.

vvv I don't think that's ever been a thing. Apparently we're on the road for good reason:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 21, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Azerban posted:

this is the worst league

Well, it is Toronto in March, I'm sure they are trying to push it back as far as possible.

What I'm mostly surprised about is that it'll take a couple of weeks before Seattle plays at home. I thought the champs always started the year at home?

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

binge crotching posted:

Well, it is Toronto in March, I'm sure they are trying to push it back as far as possible.

..this league still has minnesota and montreal in it, right?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Roy Miller to Portland is official, but he will stay on loan at Saprissa until May because he wants to experience the loss to Pachuca in the CCL

Adolfo Machado from Saprissa to Houston is said to be done. He's not nearly as good anymore but not bad

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 21, 2016

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Azerban posted:

this is the worst league

You've got it all wrong. The punishment for failing in the final step of their Cup quest is that they are cursed to wander the continent, haunting desperate wastelands such as Minneapolis and Kansas City. They will eventually be allowed to return home, but only after their pilgrimage has sufficiently atoned for their shame.

That's what I choose to believe, anyway.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Doesn't Toronto always get hosed like this though? It has to be with the weather.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm fine with being the first team to give Atlanta United Dynamo FC Union their first L

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gigi Galli posted:

Doesn't Toronto always get hosed like this though? It has to be with the weather.

The past few years it's been construction (and they've been on the road until like May.) No construction this year and I could believe it was weather except...

Azerban posted:

..this league still has minnesota and montreal in it, right?

Montreal plays indoors in March though. I dunno what they're thinking with Minnesota opening in an outdoor stadium on March 12 - good loving luck with that.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 21, 2016

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Other rumors:

Daniel Colindres to Minnesota
Francisco Calvo to LA

They're both good players so they should do ok. Calvo is a mercenary oval office though.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Simone Poodoin posted:

Other rumors:

Daniel Colindres to Minnesota
Francisco Calvo to LA

They're both good players so they should do ok. Calvo is a mercenary oval office though.

How many players have Saprissa sold to MLS this season already? IT seems like their entire first team have been sold the last 2 weeks. Also, Calvo was in the youth for Saprissa then went to Herediano twice before going back to Saprissa? No wonder you think he's a mercenary oval office.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

How many players have Saprissa sold to MLS this season already? IT seems like their entire first team have been sold the last 2 weeks. Also, Calvo was in the youth for Saprissa then went to Herediano twice before going back to Saprissa? No wonder you think he's a mercenary oval office.

Many and it owns, they're gonna be destroyed next season. Ulises Segura is the other one who is likely to leave and he's good too. Their extremely streaky keeper Danny Carvajal is likely to go as well. They will get the corpses of Sabo and Junior Diaz though so that's something.

And yeah last time Calvo moved from Herediano to Saprissa, he negotiated with Saprissa while they were playing a final series between each other. Herediano fans accuse him of throwing the game but that's doubtful.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

Many and it owns, they're gonna be destroyed next season.

Are Saprissa reaping a windfall of cash from these sales? Sounds like they're trying to capitalize on Costa Rica's recent successes, then go out and buy more players?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Bio-Hazard posted:

Are Saprissa reaping a windfall of cash from these sales? Sounds like they're trying to capitalize on Costa Rica's recent successes, then go out and buy more players?

I don't think MLS is paying that much, and they're hiring corpses and bad local nobodies so far. Hopefully they waste this money on a foreign fraud like when they hired Penedo for half a year.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004

Simone Poodoin posted:

I don't think MLS is paying that much, and they're hiring corpses and bad local nobodies so far.

I thought Haiti was the island with all the corpses... But the Timbers could use another corpse right now.

So, MLS likes players that play in 1.) Liga MX and 2.) Costa Rican Primera Division. And maybe a couple from Panama?

Do we care about any other islands or central american countries, or are they really just there to pad the FIFA vote?

edit: yeah, just ship a couple CONCACAF corpses up here for cheap.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 22, 2016

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

by "they" I meant Saprissa, but yeah Portland have not done very well either.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Good news! Ben Olsen graduated coaching college. He now has his coaching GED, he's off the smack, and he's seeing a sweet young thing who loves Jesus

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/20/eight-mls-head-coaches-take-part-us-soccers-pro-course-pilot-project

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Bio-Hazard posted:

edit: yeah, just ship a couple CONCACAF corpses up here for cheap.

I hear Pescadito Ruiz is looking for a club

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Adolfo Machado from Saprissa to Houston is said to be done. He's not nearly as good anymore but not bad

This is done and he's already in Houston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Guzman to Portland is official. Nagbe to Celtic is looking more & more likely.

• Locked thread