Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I would like to apologize in advance for the Portland Timbers having the highest fouls to fouled ratio in the league this season, possibly topping all other teams combined (based on recent additions and assuming we lose Nagbe).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Simone Poodoin posted:

Other rumors:
Francisco Calvo to LA

This was wrong, he's going to Minnesota and it's official now

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

porkface posted:

I would like to apologize in advance for the Portland Timbers having the highest fouls to fouled ratio in the league this season, possibly topping all other teams combined (based on recent additions and assuming we lose Nagbe).

Roy Miller and Chara on the same team? We'll set a world record!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
We had yet another goddamn draft today:

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/812030446062239746

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dallas signed Yet Another Homegrown: Reggie Cannon.

http://www.fcdallas.com/post/2016/12/22/fc-dallas-signs-18th-homegrown-player-defender-reggie-cannon

Also there's a rumor Miguel Ibarra may move to Minnisota United. Didn't he play for the Loons or whatever they were called a few years ago?

EDIT: Yep, says so a couple lines down, heh.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 22, 2016

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Seattle just signed Harry Shipp and I am loving REPLETE with shipper jokes.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Montreal trades Harry Shipp to Seattle for Garberbucks: he never really fit in MTL's system but he may have trouble getting sufficient minutes as understudy to Lodeiro of all people, so I guess we'll see.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
If Nico's like all of our South American Fancy Dans, he'll miss a lot of time with ankle knocks.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Was Taters posted:

If Nico's like all of our South American Fancy Dans, he'll miss a lot of time with ankle knocks.

Or we'll just throw him in there in place of Ivanschitz and score all the goals.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think Shipp is a logical pickup Garth said he doesn't want the team beholden to one player, and while Shipp is nowhere near as good as Lodeiro having a cheap #10 to back him up is better than throwing up our hands and letting Brad Evans pretend to be Ozil.

Also apparently there might be another signing tomorrow according to Pentz. I wouldn't be shocked if it was Rose maybe coming back from Coventry or hopefully a loving right back.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Was Taters posted:

Seattle just signed Harry Shipp and I am loving REPLETE with shipper jokes.

I really like Harry Shipp. He was an old man at 21 or whenever he started playing for Chicago, and he's still an old man now.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Can Shipp play winger? Don't see him getting much time at the #10, Lodeiro has proved to be really fit there. Of course, there's always suspensions, and maybe cold weather games...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

Can Shipp play winger? Don't see him getting much time at the #10, Lodeiro has proved to be really fit there. Of course, there's always suspensions, and maybe cold weather games...

I think thats where he mostly played on the wing in Chicago, on the flip side I think Lodeiro has played better when starting out wide so honestly I wouldn't be opposed to Shipp being in the middle and letting Lodeiro cut inside from the left.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Sounders also picked up Will Briun from Houston for TAM/GAM.

Did not see that one coming either.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

Sounders also picked up Will Briun from Houston for TAM/GAM.

Did not see that one coming either.

Whoa. Cheaper Valdez replacement, I guess? He's kind of a target forward, right? Makin it rain those allocation bucks.

Jack2142 posted:

I think thats where he mostly played on the wing in Chicago, on the flip side I think Lodeiro has played better when starting out wide so honestly I wouldn't be opposed to Shipp being in the middle and letting Lodeiro cut inside from the left.

Fair enough. I'm sure Schmetzer will appreciate having more time to play with formations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Atlanta have signed Greg Garza on loan with a permanent option from Tijuana, and had to send a draft pick to Columbus due to discovery rights.

And Chicago have apparently signed Juninho (the one that used to play for the Galaxy) from Tijuana. It's apparently also a loan with an option, and they have to trade allocation spots and draft picks with Minnesota to do so.

trem_two fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 23, 2016

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Yeah, it's an allocation order switch, Garberbux, and a second ground draft pick.

The move is pretty out of the blue for Chicago, I hadn't heard any rumors at all before it happened.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Johnny Foreigners getting the cup tatooed on them, we're bigtime now.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Ben Olsen riding a longboard in an elf costume had completed my Christmas. Especially after the death of George Michael made me super depressed.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Apparently Landon Donovan has been offered DP contracts at RSL and an unnamed Eastern Conference team.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

He wants to win his own award. That said, any team giving him a DP contract is dumb and should fire their GM. This includes the possibility we sign him.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Hello Towel posted:

Apparently Landon Donovan has been offered DP contracts at RSL and an unnamed Eastern Conference team.

It's DC. We're stupid enough. He's an old American.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2016-2017/referee-clattenburg-would-consider-offer-from-china_sto5995709/story.shtml

MLS should start throwing money at referees instead of lovely 35-year-old former stars.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Rumors out of Spain say that Villarreal RB Antonio Rukavina is coming to Chicago. The Fire are also set to sign Indiana University's own Grant Lillard to a Homegrown contract. Making moves.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

apparently erik friberg is leaving the sounders and headed back to sweden. does anyone have that .gif of him shoving someone over from like four seasons back? i want to reminisce..

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

crocodile posted:

apparently erik friberg is leaving the sounders and headed back to sweden. does anyone have that .gif of him shoving someone over from like four seasons back? i want to reminisce..

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ah, the sports bra kits. Good times.

Anyway, this was fairly easy to call, since the team didn't pick up his option or protect him in the expansion draft. Happy trails, Friberg! You were acceptable.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
In the most shocking news since the election of Donald Trump, it's being reported that Bastian Schweinsteiger will not be joining the Chicago Fire.

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

lmao bless your heart.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm more partial to this moment:

https://twitter.com/whoisjoserivera/status/659587236602613761

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

I love the edit where he does this and the guy bursts into tacos.
And all the other Friberg taco gifs.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

There was a pic a few seasons back - where at training, all the native English speakers were in one huddle, all the native Spanish speakers were in another huddle, and poor Friberg, in the middle and looking lost.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Crew have signed Jonathan Mensah as their 2nd current DP (and only their 5th ever!).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
A DP defender? Is that legal?

(kidding, kidding, looks like a solid pickup and having Ghana's centreback pair at your team will probably give American strikers PTSD flashbacks for years to come if they keep being your bogey team at the WC.)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

A DP defender? Is that legal?

(kidding, kidding, looks like a solid pickup and having Ghana's centreback pair at your team will probably give American strikers PTSD flashbacks for years to come if they keep being your bogey team at the WC.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f20D9HRiDE

vvv It wasn't the game-winning goal :colbert:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 3, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

For shame being a Sounders fan and not showing Dempsey's 30 second goal

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/fastest-world-cup-goal-ever

The fact that Portland signed said keeper makes it more hilarious.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
In earth-shattering news, the mighty Collin Martin has been shipped to the north, as the villain Amos Magee loots his old team for...an often-injured player who found his level at USL and never cracked the first team? Right.

Well, he used to be a Kicker and now he's a Loon and DC get a fourth-round Superdraft pick and a can of magic beans.

Why didn't they just call Minnesota the loving Loons.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Because people are stupid and apparently we can't have nice things.

Is anyone here actually going to call Minnesota/Atlanta "United"? Loons/Shermans is way better.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Because MLS was once filled with awful nicknames, and when fans said "teams shouldn't have awful nicknames," lazy owners heard "teams shouldn't have nicknames at all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The New York Red Bulls is a top 50% team name in the MLS now which is hilarious.

• Locked thread