Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Crazy Ted posted:

Since the lower-league thread is basically just three of us posting:

It looks like - as of tonight - the NASL is actually going to survive thanks in no small part to the USL's greed. Unbelievable.

Summarize? You can't leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Summarize? You can't leave it at that.
All via various journo Tweeters:

The Cosmos have apparently found a new owner, as have the Strikers, meaning the NASL stays at 8+ teams and gets waivers from the USSF now that the Cosmos owners who wanted to challenge MLS for D1 status are out.

The USL originally balked at the USSF's suggestion to waive most of the entry fees (2+ million???) for the existing NASL teams, then said they could spread them out over a few years, then said they only wanted the ones that are "financially viable" (because of no course no USL teams are on poor footing). So instead of breaking the NASL apart, it looks like the league is finally ditching that idiot Peterson, possibly making Peter Wilt commissioner, and soldiering on as the D2 league with the USSF's blessing.

Furthermore, indications are that the USL might sue both the NASL and the USSF if they're told they have to stay D3. Good luck with that.

A report I'd read stated that the USL was actually thinking about using a lawsuit threat as a bargaining chip in the event the NASL was granted a waiver: "If you don't give us D2 alone, we'll sue!" That just seems horribly ill-advised.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 5, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd post more in the lower leagues thread if my team had a place to play :smith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Also, the Tampa Bay Rowdies have signed a number of former Orlando City executives, so it looks like their MLS push is going full speed.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shrapnig posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Trophy

Look at this list since 2000 for fucks sake.

These are players who were voted the BEST PLAYER IN US COLLEGE SOCCER for a given year. It's embarrassing .

What the gently caress Patrick Mullins is really good.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

What the gently caress Patrick Mullins is really good.
Honestly that post-2000 list isn't far worse than the ratio you'd see of Wooden Award, Heisman Trophy, or Hobey Baker Award winners who go on to decent pro careers. Off of the top of my head, three of those players had their careers heavily impacted by injuries (O'Brian White, Marcus Storey, Alecko Eskandarian).

However that 90's Hermann Award list...oof.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 5, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

Honestly that post-2000 list isn't far worse than the ratio you'd see of Wooden Award, Heisman Trophy, or Hobey Baker Award winners who go on to decent pro careers. Off of the top of my head, three of those players had their careers heavily impacted by injuries (O'Brian White, Marcus Storey, Alecko Eskandarian).

I dunno the 90's list has a few actually really good players like Claudio Reyna (Bundelsiga/EPL #10), Friedel (EPL GK), Lalas (Serie A and arrogant gently caress) Since 2010 though only Stolz was a massive bust, Wenger isn't the best player (and should have been converted to fullback) however he has had an okay pro career, Nagbe, Morris, Mullins are all good though.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

I dunno the 90's list has a few actually really good players like Claudio Reyna (Bundelsiga/EPL #10), Friedel (EPL GK), Lalas (Serie A and arrogant gently caress).
On the other hand, Johnny Torres, something called a Wojtek Krakowiak, Ali Curits, and a two-time winner who chose to become a doctor because MLS pay was so poo poo.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

On the other hand, Johnny Torres, something called a Wojtek Krakowiak, Ali Curits, and a two-time winner who chose to become a doctor because MLS pay was so poo poo.

True, I read the Fisher one and I'mma quote the wiki because its kind of sad, but funny. Also I am pretty sure Wojtek is a bear? and Curtis is at least a good GM?

Fisher posted:

“Soccer's a little different in that if you come out of college and want to play, maybe you'll make $30,000 a year. If you're lucky and play well for five or six years, you maybe get up to high five figures in salary. If you go to medical school and come out of your residency, you start making six figures after two years of private practice.”

Admittedly still true because alot of college players are poo poo and kinda dumb (personal experience with them), but considering Morris and others in Generation Adidas are rolling out of college and making (low) six figures I think its a good sign at how much the league has grown in actually making going pro somewhat viable. I mean the minimum MLS salary isn't going to break bank, but if you have a lovely communications degree from a state school thats better money than they probably would make.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 5, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

True, I read the Fisher one and I'mma quote the wiki because its kind of sad, but funny. Also I am pretty sure Wojtek is a bear? and Curtis is at least a good GM?

Admittedly still true because alot of college players are poo poo and kinda dumb (personal experience with them), but considering Morris and others in Generation Adidas are rolling out of college and making (low) six figures I think its a good sign at how much the league has grown in actually making going pro somewhat viable. I mean the minimum MLS salary isn't going to break bank, but if you have a lovely communications degree from a state school thats better money than they probably would make.
Julian Valentin - former US U-20 regular - quit the sport in 2010 because he got a job making more money being the Digital Media head of the Colorado Rockies.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

Julian Valentin - former US U-20 regular - quit the sport in 2010 because he got a job making more money being the Digital Media head of the Colorado Rockies.

True actually looking back at pretty much every athlete I knew at school alot of them are unemployed and all the rest work for Nike/Adidas/Under Armor doing random poo poo (I went to school in Portland).

Also that was a few years ago if you make an MLS roster now the minimum now is 55K a year, I think back then it was like half that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

True actually looking back at pretty much every athlete I knew at school alot of them are unemployed and all the rest work for Nike/Adidas/Under Armor (I went to school in Portland).

Also that was a few years ago if you make an MLS roster now the minimum now is 55K a year, I think back then it was like half that.
Yeah. It wasn't all that long ago that you could be a full-time player in MLS and make $30,000 a year, or perhaps even a bit less.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jack2142 posted:

True actually looking back at pretty much every athlete I knew at school alot of them are unemployed and all the rest work for Nike/Adidas/Under Armor doing random poo poo (I went to school in Portland).

There's at least one current Timber that has a side gig at Nike doing product testing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

You're right, it's a lot like the Heisman in that regard. In most of those years there were players who went on to have much better pro careers than the guy who won the Hermann.

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah. It wasn't all that long ago that you could be a full-time player in MLS and make $30,000 a year, or perhaps even a bit less.

The Beckham Experiment is great for poo poo about this. Alan Gordon lived in a lovely apartment with two other guys and coached girl's soccer on the side.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Crazy Ted posted:

You also have to remember he was a lovely player. He wasn't going to make a roster anyway.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Arena's January camp call-ups. Posting this here because everyone is from an MLS club (except for DMB, who is currently with Unattached FC)

quote:

GOALKEEPERS: David Bingham (San Jose Earthquakes), Stefan Frei (Seattle Sounders FC), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)

DEFENDERS: DaMarcus Beasley (Unattached), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Greg Garza (Atlanta United FC), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Taylor Kemp (D.C. United), Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders FC), Keegan Rosenberry (Philadelphia Union), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Jermaine Jones (Unattached), Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Kekuta Manneh (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Dax McCarty (New York Red Bulls), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)

FORWARDS: Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Zusi as a defender makes some sense, I guess. Taylor Kemp a bit surprising, but cool.

Dempsey was under consideration but appears to not be quite there yet.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Real Name Grover posted:

Arena's January camp call-ups. Posting this here because everyone is from an MLS club (except for DMB, who is currently with Unattached FC)

Zusi as a defender makes some sense, I guess. Taylor Kemp a bit surprising, but cool.

Dempsey was under consideration but appears to not be quite there yet.

Is Frei even eligible to play for the US?

WangNV
Mar 22, 2001
I'm so lonely

tk posted:

Is Frei even eligible to play for the US?

Not yet. Neither is Kekuta "The Quail Hunter" Manneh. They can train, maybe play in the friendlies, I'm not sure.

Also, what's Dax doing until the 16th?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

quote:

The press release: Manneh (Vancouver Whitecaps FC) and Frei (Seattle Sounders FC) are both in the process of completing their eligibility requirements to represent the United States. While that process is ongoing, they are clear to participate in the training camp.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
^ What whypick1 posted. They can't play against Serbia/Jamaica, though.

E:

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/817072165715607552

Hell, if DMB can play left back...

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 5, 2017

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Well poo poo. Dempsey's not called in. That's not a good sign.

Also, I love me some Chad Marshall at the MLS level, but what's he doing in Camp Cupcake? Isn't he like 2 steps too slow?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah. Guess the pickings were slim, Besler is recovering from an ankle injury, FWIW.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Xylorjax posted:

Also, I love me some Chad Marshall at the MLS level, but what's he doing in Camp Cupcake? Isn't he like 2 steps too slow?

It's Camp Cupcake, this is when you call him in.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Xylorjax posted:

I'm pretty certain Dempsey is done, they might get him out for a retirement game sometime this season, but I think that's it.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

I still can't believe that the temporary USSF D2 was probably the most stable one that should have been kept long term.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Tigren posted:

It's Camp Cupcake, this is when you call him in.

I'm not looking forward to seeing him try to keep up with Jamaica.

foobardog posted:

I'm pretty certain Dempsey is done, they might get him out for a retirement game sometime this season, but I think that's it.

That's what I'm afraid of. We'll still be pretty good this year unless Lodeiro gets chopped down too often, especially if we fill Valdez's DP spot soon, but imagining that attack + one final year of Dempsey was making me drool.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

He's got a heart issue and on the wrong side of 35. No way he can get insured to play at this point.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

foobardog posted:

He'll probably announce his retirement when Lagerway comes to tell him that they signed two new DPs and need his DP slot.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The USL president did an interview with Sport Illustrated tonight and it sure does look like they're thinking about suing the USSF if they don't get D2 status at the expense of the NASL:

quote:

“Based on decades of past practices from the Federation and the fact that we have the strongest application they’ve ever received, I can’t see a rational reason why they wouldn’t approve it,” he said. “Why they would turn down the strongest [D2] application would be very hard to understand. However, if they do that, if that happens, we will evaluate the situation at that time. Let me be clear. We will look at all available options to us at that point. We believe this is the strongest application they’ve ever had. If they reject this, we’ll look at all options available to us.”

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
gently caress this poo poo, I hope USSF reclassifies it all and declares D2/D3 on down are open leagues. This cutthroat bullshit needs to end.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Big news, Philly signed Liverpool midfielder Georginio Wijnadum

's brother

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/FCDallas/status/817510811765796870

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Rapids TD Paul Bravo has been fired resigned from the club effective today. link

He's made some good moves and had two good seasons (2010, 2016) but two almost last place finishes, the Oscar Pareja coaching debacle and a flurry of bad signings over the years make me not too upset by this.

Best of luck to him in the future of course, no hard feelings here.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 7, 2017

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

You just know he's getting a job from us.

I'm already having a minor panic attack that we're not going to do anything right anymore.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Chicago Fire sign a 35-year-old Uruguayan goalkeeper I've never heard of. I desperately hope he's not the prospective starter.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hello Towel posted:

Chicago Fire sign a 35-year-old Uruguayan goalkeeper I've never heard of. I desperately hope he's not the prospective starter.

Nah I just checked my football manager 15 copy he is going to be the second best keeper in the league on skill points behind Rais M'Bolhi

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Hello Towel posted:

If I remember right he was alright in Liga MX, but that was a few years ago. I hope he's a back up since having a 35 year old goalie isn't the smartest thing.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

If I remember right he was alright in Liga MX, but that was a few years ago. I hope he's a back up since having a 35 year old goalie isn't the smartest thing.

He also once punched a police officer in the face, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeBUsLKh-o

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Hello Towel posted:

He also once punched a police officer in the face, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeBUsLKh-o

Doing that to a Chicago cop would also wouldn't be the smartest then to do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
The Rapids are reportedly about to sign Ghanaian MF Gilbert Koomson, from Songdal in Norway, for $600k.

link

Supposedly he had the most assists in the Norwegian league this last year. :shrug:

Edit - it's great to see the Rapids sign an assist man like that, but does anyone know enough to compare Norway to MLS?

Rapids also signed MF Ricardo Perez of Creighton and CB Kortne Ford of DU as homegrowns just before announcing Paul Bravo leaving.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 9, 2017

• Locked thread