Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Byzantium the league

quote:

In a truly MLS-level trade, the New York Red Bulls have actually done something this offseason, they just never announced it. This gets all sorts of complicated, so let us start from the beginning.

Back in February of 2016, DC United sent Connor Doyle to the Colorado Rapids in exchange for a third-round draft pick in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft. Then, a few days later, DC acquired Luciano Acosta on loan from Boca Juniors. Prior to that, the New York Red Bulls had held Acosta’s discovery rights after scouting the player around the same time they scouted Gonzalo Veron. The Red Bulls gave up those rights “after not making an offer to Boca Juniors (required by MLS if a second team is interested)” and “United obtained the right to engage in talks with Acosta in exchange for a 2017 conditional SuperDraft pick prior to pursuing the midfielder.”

This is where it gets interesting. The condition in the “conditional” draft pick, was whether or not Acosta played 75% or more of DC’s games. However, that was not announced at the time. The 22 year-old midfielder played in 31 of United’s 34 regular season games, roughly 91% of the season. As such New York received DC’s third-round pick, the one DC received from Colorado, instead of United’s fourth-round pick. New York could not receive DC United’s natural third-round pick, as that had already been traded to Seattle in exchange for David Estrada back in 2014.

But wait, there is more! New York does not have that third-round pick anymore. Instead, Orlando City does. Back when New York traded for Aurelien Collin in April, New York sent Orlando a conditional fourth-round draft pick. Apparently, that condition was whether or not DC United’s Luciano Acosta played at least 26 games for DC. As such Orlando City currently has Colorado’s 2017 third-round SuperDraft pick.

To summarize: Colorado sent DC a draft pick for Conor Doyle. DC used their own fourth-round draft pick to acquire Luciano Acosta’s discovery rights from the New York Red Bulls, conditionally. In the meantime, New York traded for Aurelien Collin, sending Orlando City DC United’s 2017 fourth-round draft pick, conditionally. When Acosta finished his season, that condition was fulfilled and New York was given the Colorado Rapid’s third-round pick, from DC United. In turn, they immediately sent to Orlando.

And of the four team’s involved in this process, no one announced anything about this pick being traded after the season ended, at all (though I cannot really blame Colorado).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Seltzer posted:

Byzantium the league

This is all necessary in order for the league to survive financially

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

TheBoyBlunder posted:

The Rapids are reportedly about to sign Ghanaian MF Gilbert Koomson, from Songdal in Norway, for $600k.

link

Supposedly he had the most assists in the Norwegian league this last year. :shrug:

Rapids also signed MF Ricardo Perez of Creighton and CB Kortne Ford of DU as homegrowns just before announcing Paul Bravo leaving.

Hmm, not the African midfielder I thought we were after, but ok. Also glad to see those homegrown signings, at worst they'll be cheaper than Le Toux and St. Ledger. Ford could actually be pretty good though, and we definitely need more CB depth along with someone to challenge Watts.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Seltzer posted:

Byzantium the league

When is the last time something interesting or worthwhile happened in a non-expansion draft? Are these picks even worth anything?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Gigi Galli posted:

When is the last time something interesting or worthwhile happened in a non-expansion draft? Are these picks even worth anything?

The first 5-10 picks or so in the "Superdraft" (mostly college players) end up at least useful at this level fairly often, but that 3rd round pick in question will be a complete longshot. Though I think Borchers for one was 3rd or 4th round.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Moktaro posted:

Hmm, not the African midfielder I thought we were after, but ok. Also glad to see those homegrown signings, at worst they'll be cheaper than Le Toux and St. Ledger. Ford could actually be pretty good though, and we definitely need more CB depth along with someone to challenge Watts.

There's rumors of another Ghanaian MF named Bismarck Adjei-Boateng, currently of the Manchester City system and on loan with Stromsgodset of Norway. This deal appears to be further off. link

I like the homegrown signings. Depth at CB and push Watts, and someone cheaper at least than LeToux? Sold.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gigi Galli posted:

The picks sort of work, just its kinda a crapshoot on who becomes good and who plays a few matches as a sub before disappearing into minor league soccer. Sometimes a lower level pick turns into a good player in the league, the most prominent example I can think is Wondolowski for as "lol" as he is for the National Team, he went from random lovely journeyman drafted like in the 4th round to great (for MLS) goal scorer in his later 20's.

Looking at what the Sounders did with our last few draft first round picks this was the most lol trade. We traded a pick for Stefan Frei and started this hilarious trade chain that also brought Pareja to Dallas. In the end the guy Columbus drafted ended up playing in the USL. One thing that is hilarious is looking back at the draft from a couple years ago to see what happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_MLS_SuperDraft#cite_note-13

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 9, 2017

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Gigi Galli posted:

Joao Plata worked out

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

You can look through these names and tell me if a 3rd round + draft pick is worth anything
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_MLS_SuperDraft#Round_3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_MLS_SuperDraft#Round_3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_MLS_SuperDraft#Round_3

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

3rd round picks are extremely valuable, case closed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyEsj_Fyqhk

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

trem_two posted:

This is all necessary in order for the league to survive financially

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Femi seems ok so far!

I (mostly) wasn't trying to be a dick with that post, I seriously just never hear anything about the drafts except for everyone saying how there are a ton of them. Thanks.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

Femi seems ok so far!

I (mostly) wasn't trying to be a dick with that post, I seriously just never hear anything about the drafts except for everyone saying how there are a ton of them. Thanks.

Ha, no I didn't take it that way at all. I honestly know nothing about how the MLS operates in general and trades specifically. I just assumed anything past the first 10 picks in an MLS draft would be a garbage fire and I actually just wiki'd that for myself to make sure.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Seltzer posted:

Ha, no I didn't take it that way at all. I honestly know nothing about how the MLS operates in general and trades specifically. I just assumed anything past the first 10 picks in an MLS draft would be a garbage fire and I actually just wiki'd that for myself to make sure.

You're totally right. A ton (most?) round 3 and 4 guys don't even make the opening day roster.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the SuperDraft will stay as it is as long as the NASL and the USL are still fighting each other. Until there is stability below MLS, there will be the need to draft college players.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Seltzer posted:

You can look through these names and tell me if a 3rd round + draft pick is worth anything
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_MLS_SuperDraft#Round_3

2016 draft posted:

53 LA Galaxy PASS

SUPER valuable.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Xylorjax posted:

SUPER valuable.

We haven't cared about draft picks since drafting AJ.

In other news, people are saying we are seriously in for Jonathan Dos Santos, which is awesome, and this guy:

who kinda looks like this guy:

Get on our level other non-handsome teams.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 9, 2017

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Get on our level other non-handsome teams.

Everyone knows you put all the traditionally handsome people on the evil team while the good team has your weird handsome guy who originally played another sport, a woman player in disguise, the weird foreigner, and the fat kid.

Seltzer posted:

Byzantium the league

Things like this make me wonder if the things we think are Calvinball are really above board, it's just an insane collection of trades and conditions.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

foobardog posted:

Everyone knows you put all the traditionally handsome people on the evil team while the good team has your weird handsome guy who originally played another sport, a woman player in disguise, the weird foreigner, and the fat kid.

Don't forget 1. child prodigy, 2. a literal dog, and/or 3. superhero with embarrassing powers.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

2017 is officially the season we challenge you to a ski-off or we bulldoze your community center. *flips collar*

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

2017 is officially the season we challenge you to a ski-off or we bulldoze your community center. *flips collar*

The rules are different on the mountain

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

SKC have signed some Ghanaian and some guy who isn't Gelson Fernandes but the names are similar whatever I don't even care anymore

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Nostradingus posted:

SKC have signed some Ghanaian and some guy who isn't Gelson Fernandes but the names are similar whatever I don't even care anymore

You better not sink our Bismarck deal or there will be hell to pay!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Riverhounds have signed a former "MLS League Pool goalkeeper." Can someone explain what those words in that order mean?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

wicka posted:

The Riverhounds have signed a former "MLS League Pool goalkeeper." Can someone explain what those words in that order mean?

He used to be an underwater goal keeper in the MLS communal swimming pool soccer league. Very exciting stuff.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

wicka posted:

If you suddenly find yourself down to having only 1 keeper on your roster you can sign those guys short-term. Otherwise they're not attached to any roster.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

wicka posted:

He played keeper in the MLS pool league

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

whypick1 posted:

If you suddenly find yourself down to having only 1 keeper on your roster you can sign those guys short-term. Otherwise they're not attached to any roster.

Maybe my Google-fu is weak today but I can't even find the last time a team had to sign someone from the League Pool.

e: best I can do is Chris Konopka in 2011: http://ussoccerplayers.com/2011/08/the-pool-keeper.html

ee: SKC signed Tim Melia from the pool in 2014 and kept him at the end of the season: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/05/06/out-pool-fire-goalkeeper-tim-melia-making-most-his-chance-sporting-kc

TheNakedJimbo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 10, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
John Spencer out as Rapids "assistant coach in charge of attack", Conor Casey in. link

Rumor has it he's going to SJ to work with/for Dom Kinnear. link

Good luck to Spenny but geez...that was dismal this year on the attack for the Rapids. Hopefully Casey has the personality to coach and can do better.

Padraig Smith has also essentially taken over as Rapids TD. No real surprises there.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 11, 2017

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

TheBoyBlunder posted:

John Spencer out as Rapids "assistant coach in charge of attack", Conor Casey in. link

Rumor has it he's going to SJ to work with/for Dom Kinnear. link

Good luck to Spenny but geez...that was a bit dismal this year on the attack for the Rapids. Hopefully Casey has the personality to coach and can do better.

Padraig Smith has also essentially taken over as Rapids TD. No real surprises there.

Good lord, John Spencer and Dom Kinnear back together again. SJ will be playing uninspired hoofball before you know it. Oh wait!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BTW, full schedule release is tomorrow.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Marco Ureña to SJ is a rumor now. He's cool and good imo.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Marco Ureña to SJ is a rumor now. He's cool and good imo.

Pretty dismal club career TBH. 6 goals over 70+ games. Another big fart for San Jose.

Maybe he thinks he's moving home?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

He usually played like 10 minutes in each of those 70, still bad but he has been unlucky getting starts at the club level. He's at 1 in 4 with the national team and is very hardworking. He scored in Brazil so that's probably why I rate him more than I should.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Pretty sure I'll miss more than half the home games again, sometimes I wonder why I pay for season tickets.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Games at the StubHub are probably going to be a shitshow for a while:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/819567744333058048
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/819568188564312064

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Wait, the Chargers are gonna play in a 27000 seat stadium? How does that make any drat sense at all?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Xylorjax posted:

Wait, the Chargers are gonna play in a 27000 seat stadium? How does that make any drat sense at all?

https://twitter.com/MattSebek/status/808064382416601089

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Get ready for a really annoying roommate, Galaxy!

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/819595796647530497

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule/2017/announcement?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

• Locked thread