Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Femi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

trem_two posted:

Apparently Atlanta are trading Irwin to...TFC

There seems to be a lucrative market in flipping keepers for Garberbucks :shrug:

Don Garber, the worst thing to ever happen to American soccer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

All of this is Bad and Dumb and should be gotten rid of.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Conartist posted:

Got a tour of Orlando City's new downtown stadium while it's currently still under construction. Looking decent. Grass should be installed soon according to the tour guide. This picture is from the supporters section known as 'The Wall' which is terraced so standing room only.

Now only if the team was less trash. I believe in you Kreis.

This looks awesome. Is it opening next year?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

http://www.eurosport.com/football/premier-league/2016-2017/referee-clattenburg-would-consider-offer-from-china_sto5995709/story.shtml

MLS should start throwing money at referees instead of lovely 35-year-old former stars.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Why didn't they just call Minnesota the loving Loons.

Because MLS was once filled with awful nicknames, and when fans said "teams shouldn't have awful nicknames," lazy owners heard "teams shouldn't have nicknames at all."

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

All sports team nicknames are inherently bad and just get accepted over time, assuming they aren't really bad. With a few exceptions, all NFL team nicknames are random and uninspired, yet no one seems to care...after like 60 years of existence. I think if you rename RSL and the Red Bulls then the problem is pretty much solved. Also maybe make teams who randomly tacked "FC" and "SC" on to the end of their names decide if they actually want "Football Club" or "Soccer Club" or just drop that pretense entirely.

MLS has big problems with appearances and not being taken seriously, and bad team names are part of that, but by no means are they the biggest problem. The fan who might think a team name is bad but is able to look past it still sees a league with 13 drafts.

wicka fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 4, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

People go into frankly awe-inspiring detail understanding the NFL and NHL's salary cap contortions and running mock drafts/waiver wires/trade scenarios, after all (this is just what I'm familiar with, maybe the NBA or baseball are marvels of simplicity by comparison).

Yes, but they have no other choice. There is one football league. There is one hockey league. For soccer, there is a global market. I can watch more of the Premier League on television than I can MLS, and the rules are a hell of a lot easier to understand, and the level of play is a lot higher. It will take a lot of time and money for MLS to develop the talent needed to compete globally, and that's probably what it's going to take to get better TV exposure. But as far as the rules go, they can just change it. They could do it right loving now.

But I have to stress my first point: NOTHING other American leagues do have any relevance to what MLS should do because they have effectively no competition from other leagues playing the same sport. They can dictate whatever dumb rules they want and fans are forced to accept them because they have no alternatives. MLS does not have this luxury, not by a long shot.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

Most of this is true (the KHL may someday be competition for the NHL if Russia can avoid starting World War 3 in the next decade or so but that's another thread), but I think our fundamental disagreement is that I simply don't think the structure is what matters for potential fans compared to the other two advantages that the PL, for example, has. And yes, the rules are within MLS' control and could be changed, but there are reasons they exist besides Don Garber's personal grudge against you. Maybe some of those reasons are not as valid as they were, maybe some of those rules now hurt more than they help, maybe the whole thing is a dumb imperfect messy compromise (it's this one).

How many people tune in to hear about allocation money?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Xylorjax posted:

Zero. I think that's part of his point. But they tune in to watch the players paid for with that allocation money. And when they do they also see American players who aren't too hilariously overpaid because the money's gotta go somewhere and a higher salary cap w/o changing the other roster construction rules would result in that. And changing the roster construction rules would mean they wouldn't see many Americans at all, which would go against one of the stated goals of having an MLS in the first place. Which I think is the rest of the point.

How is that his point? No one is tuning in because they are interested in these Byzantine rules, but people are sure as poo poo turned off by it. You say they turn in to watch players bought by allocation money - but only because it exists. Just get rid of it and increase the cap slightly to compensate. IMO, abandon all these idiotic rules and set the cap closer to what clubs' real wages are.

MLS needs every advantage in the world if they want to grow and compete with the best in the world, the last thing they need is to hurt themselves, yet that's exactly what they're doing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

My point is, and has always been, that the second part of that sentence is not relevant (at least for people who are not obsessives like us) compared to the fact that the PL is easier to find on TV and the players are better. Americans watch sports with Byzantine player movement rules, and learn said Byzantine rules to the best of their ability or follow people that do for their dumb hot takes, all the fuckin' time, and I don't buy "they have no choice but to do that" - other sports exist! Other entertainment methods exist! Limiting your conception of "competition for the NFL" to "only other American Football leagues" is great for your argument but bears no relation to reality. NFL ratings dropped like 20% the first half of this season - what did they go watch?

Sucks that you "don't buy" that argument since it's unquestionably true. Not really going to go into this further, it's a fact that MLS has real competition in its space and the NFL doesn't, it's the height of childish delusion to suggest otherwise.

And my point is that the raw number of fans who are turned away by MLS's idiotic rules isn't important, but rather the fact that ANYONE is turned away, and that they are wholly unnecessary rules that can be scrapped if MLS would simply do it. Again, the other problems take time to solve. This one doesn't. Stop defending it.

Dallan Invictus posted:

As I have tried to explain in tedious detail but will now instead try and summarise, allocation money in its various flavours, and all the other complications to the roster construction rules, exist because MLS has various priorities that act at cross-purposes with each other, and is working with owners that aren't broadly willing to lose seven or eight figures a year indefinitely to bootstrap a soccer league and appreciate being protected from themselves, skeptical broadcasters, a viewing public that largely has other better options, and last-but-definitely-not-least, a veteran player pool (and, crucially for this, a voting majority in the players' union) that, if MLS didn't exist, would mostly now be small-town dentists or car salesmen like 90% of college athletic standouts, not making bank in the global market.

You haven't once tried explaining any of this in real detail, actually. Explain to me how allocation money is actually necessary. Explain to me how any of these rules, in practice, end up better than just like a $10m salary cap and nothing else, no loopholes.

Or...don't. Because it's asinine and impossible. All you have to say here is "I like watching MLS but it is inherently flawed" and we can stop wasting our time. There's no reason to fabricate justifications for what can't be justified simply because you otherwise like the league.

wicka fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 4, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I know this, and again, its a dumb idea and it doesn't work. The FMF has done tons of dumb poo poo in the interest of giving Mexican players a place to grow and develop and all it has done is stagnated and regressed the quality of players produced in Mexico. Meanwhile the existence of MLS has meant that loads of other CONCACAF teams have had their players exposed to greater competition than their domestic leagues offered and low and behold, the likes of Costa Rica, Honduras, ETC. have improved drastically over the years.

In the next two to three WCQ cycles Mexico is going to fail to qualify and a huge part of the failure of Mexican players to develop is the protectionist policies of the Liga MX. Why Canada and the United States want to double down on that sort of idiocy is beyond me.

If we're serious about producing talent then what we really need to be doing is blanketing this country with academies, not gifting roster spots to American players.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

I agree that covering the country in academies is probably going to do more in the long run, but even then, why would you play an academy product over an import if you weren't required to and weren't explicitly choosing to? Especially in a North American academy since they mostly, right now, produce really rough talents that need a lot of technical refinement and seasoning? US businesses hate having to train their employees everywhere else, I don't expect soccer to be any different left to its own devices.

Then they should produce better academies? Plenty of leagues worldwide manage this just fine, I'm confused as to why you raise it as an issue. It feels like most of your posts are rooted in wanting MLS to already be on the right track, rather than genuinely thinking they are.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I'm not reading through all of these paragraphs but I think both sides are overreacting. I think the MLS is on decent path for US talent development except for the loving rapid expansion. The Red Bulls had 12 foreign players on the roster last season, six of which would start under perfect conditions. It's not like the J-league where you can only have 2 internationals and one AFC player and that's that. Everyone knows the real issues here stem from youth soccer, coaching, and facilities not having too many nationals or too few nationals in the league.

It's just baffling to me that the MLS is clearly leaving money on the table in terms of fans who are being pushed away by obviously unnecessary and overly complex rules. It might not be tens of millions of people, but who cares? Every little bit counts. Virtually every other problem MLS has is due to lack of money, which in turn is due to lack of exposure. That's fine, it will come with time as long as they do things correctly. They are not doing things correctly. If these rules are to enforce parity, then why do real MLS payrolls vary between $3m and $20m? Why not abandon everything but the salary cap and set it at a more reasonable figure, like $10m? What are the caveats of this plan, beyond the fact that it doesn't fit into Garber's wet dream of operating like an NFL cargo cult?

Shrapnig posted:

NCAA Soccer will kill MLS if the league continues to think that they can find talent there.

If you're playing college soccer in American and are American you'll never be a high level professional in the United States.

gently caress me, even I can admit that college soccer is almost totally irrelevant. The SuperDraft, yet another superfluous MLS league function. Just let the four kids each year who are good enough sign wherever they want.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Honestly that post-2000 list isn't far worse than the ratio you'd see of Wooden Award, Heisman Trophy, or Hobey Baker Award winners who go on to decent pro careers. Off of the top of my head, three of those players had their careers heavily impacted by injuries (O'Brian White, Marcus Storey, Alecko Eskandarian).

However that 90's Hermann Award list...oof.

You're right, it's a lot like the Heisman in that regard. In most of those years there were players who went on to have much better pro careers than the guy who won the Hermann.

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah. It wasn't all that long ago that you could be a full-time player in MLS and make $30,000 a year, or perhaps even a bit less.

The Beckham Experiment is great for poo poo about this. Alan Gordon lived in a lovely apartment with two other guys and coached girl's soccer on the side.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

trem_two posted:

This is all necessary in order for the league to survive financially

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Riverhounds have signed a former "MLS League Pool goalkeeper." Can someone explain what those words in that order mean?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The Chargers kicker was a goalkeeper in college and drafted 8th overall in the 2008 SuperDraft.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

binge crotching posted:

Putting the replay up on the board for everyone to watch makes way too much sense. Although it's what they do in the NFL, so maybe Garber would actually like it.

Pretty sure they do this in the AFL, too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

All of the Honda manufacturing in the US is in Ohio, has been since the 1980s, and almost all of their US market cars are built in the States, so it makes sense. And they've been a longtime sponsor of MLS so it's a good fit.

Their new Acura plant (where is the NSX is built) is just northwest of Columbus. Civic final assembly is in Indiana, but I think you're otherwise right, all their other US plants are also in Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Retire Garber, hire Peter Wilt, never read a bad wicka post ever again.

• Locked thread