Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

foobardog posted:

I weep for there are no more worlds left to conquer.

CONCAF and Club World Cup

Fucitol posted:

Also can someone tell what this poo poo means or am I safe to assume it's dumb mls garage:

https://twitter.com/GothamistDan/status/807811502161936384

Its Audi Sponsorship garbage, although Frei is a golden god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The guys left unprotected is kinda surprising there are plenty of decent players, much better than last time in 2014. Like no guys who will set the league on fire, but dudes better than loving Mehdi Ballouchy and Wingert.

foobardog posted:

I actually really am sad to see Mears and Gomez unprotected, but that's just because I like the cut of their jibs.

Mears and Gomez are really bad however and should be gone.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 12, 2016

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Was Taters posted:

Did it help?

Seattle also sent no one anywhere in the expansion draft, from what I heard.

Its because our roster is full of bad old overpaid guys and useless "rookies" who were carried by our cool and good players who were all actually protected.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

Well well. Happy trails, Dylan Remick. You were...not the most inspiring player in the depths of the early season swoon, but you had promise. Here's hoping for a bright future.

Time to look into Brian Meredith.

E. Oh right, he was our third string GK from a bit ago. Thought he sounded familiar.

I will be happy Miller is going to probably play every S2 game instead of sitting on the bench behind Frei.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think Shipp is a logical pickup Garth said he doesn't want the team beholden to one player, and while Shipp is nowhere near as good as Lodeiro having a cheap #10 to back him up is better than throwing up our hands and letting Brad Evans pretend to be Ozil.

Also apparently there might be another signing tomorrow according to Pentz. I wouldn't be shocked if it was Rose maybe coming back from Coventry or hopefully a loving right back.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

Can Shipp play winger? Don't see him getting much time at the #10, Lodeiro has proved to be really fit there. Of course, there's always suspensions, and maybe cold weather games...

I think thats where he mostly played on the wing in Chicago, on the flip side I think Lodeiro has played better when starting out wide so honestly I wouldn't be opposed to Shipp being in the middle and letting Lodeiro cut inside from the left.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

For shame being a Sounders fan and not showing Dempsey's 30 second goal

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/fastest-world-cup-goal-ever

The fact that Portland signed said keeper makes it more hilarious.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

wicka posted:

Then they should produce better academies? Plenty of leagues worldwide manage this just fine, I'm confused as to why you raise it as an issue. It feels like most of your posts are rooted in wanting MLS to already be on the right track, rather than genuinely thinking they are.

Teams definitely have invested in the academies, I know RSL's owner has spent millions on setting up academy programs probably because he realizes it is loving hard to convince people to move to loving Utah and they have had some successful looking players a Mexican guy from their academy I think just signed and is starting for Fiorentina, I mean not the best Italian team, but a pretty good one. Yedlin went through the Sounders academy (briefly) and seems to be doing pretty well for Newcastle. Dallas has churned out something like twenty homegrowns and they are a big reason why their team is doing alright. Likewise having the USL affiliation means some guys who are 18/19/20 and maybe aren't ready yet to crack an MLS roster means they have a place they can play and train with professionals instead of playing lovely NCAA soccer or sitting on the MLS reserves for years till they get cut or they fuckoff to Azerbaijan or some poo poo and everyone forgets they exist. Some teams have done jack poo poo with their academies and developing players *cough* Portland *cough* however those are the exceptions and Atlanta dropped a few million into setting up their academy before their team started playing.

Personally I think the league is on the right track and while the salary rules are goofy and should be reformed, the teams and players definitely seem to be trending upwards from where they were just a few years ago. I think the big thing holding the league back is the people joining now want to splash the cash, but there are still entire teams owned by lovely capital investment teams who are just treading water while their investment appreciates (Chicago, Rev's, DC United).

One thing I would like to see is for transfer fee's not to count against the salary cap on player contracts, that way we could maybe actually bring in players not on Free Transfers.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It's a tiny island with 1/6th of our population with a density of 1100/sq mi compared to our 90/sq mi. We have 5 major professional sports and they have 1. They have talent because it's literally all they do. In the age old, tired argument, what would we have in this country is our best athletes played soccer? We'd dominate them like most other sports on the planet.

Sort of the league would probably be better if guys who went on to be lovely (in a specific way to that sport) NFL/NBA guys actually played soccer instead.

Dallan Invictus posted:

They don't think they can consistently find talent there, as evidenced by the fact that outside the like five of them that end up in GA the rest of a given year's draft class is at best an outside shot and GMs, knowing this, value draft picks in trades approximately as highly as a bag of balls.

Someday it will die. In the meantime you occasionally get a Cyle Larin and the league still wants to give bad teams/expansion teams a leg up for next year, so here we are. Decent academies don't yet exist all over the country and, while they don't, there's no reason to COMPLETELY ignore the NCAA. Just do it all via a conference call and stop trying to hype it, I agree with you that far. It's never going to be an event like the NFL draft but frankly I don't understand why the NFL draft is an event so, yaknow, here we are.

The argument is that, despite all this (though I'd say that only the top 2 or 3 levels of the English pyramid would utterly dwarf MLS talent), the fact that England constantly fails internationally is down to failing at the step of turning all that talent into Actually Good Senior Players (as compared to, say, Germany or Spain who are the usual comparisons).

There are probably other reasons (more good coaches, more focus on technique as opposed to merely hard work, and less tradition-bound administration), but I'm a firm believer in Playing Your Kids when possible so I guess I have my biases here.

I don't think League One dwarfs MLS talent, I think many MLS sides could do alright in the Championship I mean they wouldn't get close to winning however I think plenty would hold their own.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 5, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yes but have you considered stuff like this:

MLS bad, lmao that Roy Miller still has a job in this league.

The Portland Timbers are in the poo poo team pile that would get relegated so this is a par for the course signing for them.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yes but have you considered stuff like this:

MLS bad, lmao that Roy Miller still has a job in this league.

The truly insane thing is Roy Miller has 59 caps with the 17th ranked National Team.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 5, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

Honestly that post-2000 list isn't far worse than the ratio you'd see of Wooden Award, Heisman Trophy, or Hobey Baker Award winners who go on to decent pro careers. Off of the top of my head, three of those players had their careers heavily impacted by injuries (O'Brian White, Marcus Storey, Alecko Eskandarian).

However that 90's Hermann Award list...oof.

I dunno the 90's list has a few actually really good players like Claudio Reyna (Bundelsiga/EPL #10), Friedel (EPL GK), Lalas (Serie A and arrogant gently caress) Since 2010 though only Stolz was a massive bust, Wenger isn't the best player (and should have been converted to fullback) however he has had an okay pro career, Nagbe, Morris, Mullins are all good though.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

On the other hand, Johnny Torres, something called a Wojtek Krakowiak, Ali Curits, and a two-time winner who chose to become a doctor because MLS pay was so poo poo.

True, I read the Fisher one and I'mma quote the wiki because its kind of sad, but funny. Also I am pretty sure Wojtek is a bear? and Curtis is at least a good GM?

Fisher posted:

“Soccer's a little different in that if you come out of college and want to play, maybe you'll make $30,000 a year. If you're lucky and play well for five or six years, you maybe get up to high five figures in salary. If you go to medical school and come out of your residency, you start making six figures after two years of private practice.”

Admittedly still true because alot of college players are poo poo and kinda dumb (personal experience with them), but considering Morris and others in Generation Adidas are rolling out of college and making (low) six figures I think its a good sign at how much the league has grown in actually making going pro somewhat viable. I mean the minimum MLS salary isn't going to break bank, but if you have a lovely communications degree from a state school thats better money than they probably would make.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 5, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

Julian Valentin - former US U-20 regular - quit the sport in 2010 because he got a job making more money being the Digital Media head of the Colorado Rockies.

True actually looking back at pretty much every athlete I knew at school alot of them are unemployed and all the rest work for Nike/Adidas/Under Armor doing random poo poo (I went to school in Portland).

Also that was a few years ago if you make an MLS roster now the minimum now is 55K a year, I think back then it was like half that.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hello Towel posted:

Chicago Fire sign a 35-year-old Uruguayan goalkeeper I've never heard of. I desperately hope he's not the prospective starter.

Nah I just checked my football manager 15 copy he is going to be the second best keeper in the league on skill points behind Rais M'Bolhi

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gigi Galli posted:

When is the last time something interesting or worthwhile happened in a non-expansion draft? Are these picks even worth anything?

The picks sort of work, just its kinda a crapshoot on who becomes good and who plays a few matches as a sub before disappearing into minor league soccer. Sometimes a lower level pick turns into a good player in the league, the most prominent example I can think is Wondolowski for as "lol" as he is for the National Team, he went from random lovely journeyman drafted like in the 4th round to great (for MLS) goal scorer in his later 20's.

Looking at what the Sounders did with our last few draft first round picks this was the most lol trade. We traded a pick for Stefan Frei and started this hilarious trade chain that also brought Pareja to Dallas. In the end the guy Columbus drafted ended up playing in the USL. One thing that is hilarious is looking back at the draft from a couple years ago to see what happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_MLS_SuperDraft#cite_note-13

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 9, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

We signed Dominic Oduro.... Man City Flop Oduro not Pizza Oduro

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

He continues the fine Rapids tradition of paying giant, slow, old, American strikers i guess.

Connor Casey demanded it in his Assistant Coach contract.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Boy do we have that last one in spades. :bang:

Gabby Torres Designated Player

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We officially signed Jermaine Jones and we're linked with this 23yo Portuguese CDM. The kid looks pretty good and his hair game is on point. We have been seriously been lacking the Sideshow Bob/Valderrama style in this league for too long.

While I doubt Jones plays more than half your seasons games, if you manage to pick up Johnny Two Saints to play on the wing in addition to Portugal dude at DM, the Galaxy would be scary again.

Is Zardes going to be a forward though or a winger?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

This is good because the CCL was retarded

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

all-Rush mixtape posted:

It would not surprise me if Atlanta makes the playoffs in their first year. They've just made so many correct moves with regards to how to build infrastructure, it's astounding.

In contrast Minnesota looks like they are going to be battling with Vancouver & San Jose for last place in the West.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Someones desperate, loving NYCFC and Revolution passed on him last year after trials.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

whypick1 posted:

Man City B getting poo poo on in their own stadium by the not-actually New York team in their own stadium deserves its own page.

(How the gently caress did the rest of the East let them get to #2?)

((Yes, I know Seattle lost to them, shut up))

To be fair thats before we started trying in 2016.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So far this off season we have managed to turn rights for Mears, Blanco, Almiron and some lovely draft pick into 250K of GAM which we will probably end up using to bribe Houston or some poo poo so we can sign Montero.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

We did the right thing in modern America and threw out the trash foreigners stealing American jobs and gave them to good hardworking Americans.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think it should be in this thread, last year paying attention went into the toilet because going to armchair quarterback is too much effort.

Plus the person who called the mods down doesn't really post in this thread anyway and just did it out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think Mix wants to force a trade to Colorado, Washington or Oregon.

• Locked thread