Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/dcunited/status/808754395676610560

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Holy gently caress, Onalfo speaks pretty good Spanish. I shouldn't be surprised in this day and age, but it's heartening.
Didn't Onalfo play for a year or two in Mexico before he was one of the original MLS'ers?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Got a survey from MLS about Austin and the potential for a team. :rudebox:
Makes sense except for the fact that Austin has lost two lower-tier teams because they've had no suitable place to play and it's like pulling teeth to get the University of Texas to give up enough land to build a stadium.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fucitol posted:

gently caress expansion drafts
Expansion: fine
Expansion drafts: hilarious given the amount of released/free agents/foreigners that would be available to a new MLS organization.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

Johan Venegas is off to Minnesota, traded for a draft pick or a bag of balls or something. He's still a dumb player with no technique, but he runs a lot so I guess that's something.
Look at how long of a career Dominic Oduro has fashioned out of being a really fast guy with no technique.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

So what happens to those players now? Do they become free agents?
The move on to the Island of Misfit MLS Rejects

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/WilliamsBob75/status/809511241920221189

Jesus Christ

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

"governo" if you're so inclined.
I thought Governo was Andrea Pirlo role in midfield.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Since the lower-league thread is basically just three of us posting:

It looks like - as of tonight - the NASL is actually going to survive thanks in no small part to the USL's greed. Unbelievable.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Summarize? You can't leave it at that.
All via various journo Tweeters:

The Cosmos have apparently found a new owner, as have the Strikers, meaning the NASL stays at 8+ teams and gets waivers from the USSF now that the Cosmos owners who wanted to challenge MLS for D1 status are out.

The USL originally balked at the USSF's suggestion to waive most of the entry fees (2+ million???) for the existing NASL teams, then said they could spread them out over a few years, then said they only wanted the ones that are "financially viable" (because of no course no USL teams are on poor footing). So instead of breaking the NASL apart, it looks like the league is finally ditching that idiot Peterson, possibly making Peter Wilt commissioner, and soldiering on as the D2 league with the USSF's blessing.

Furthermore, indications are that the USL might sue both the NASL and the USSF if they're told they have to stay D3. Good luck with that.

A report I'd read stated that the USL was actually thinking about using a lawsuit threat as a bargaining chip in the event the NASL was granted a waiver: "If you don't give us D2 alone, we'll sue!" That just seems horribly ill-advised.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 5, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Also, the Tampa Bay Rowdies have signed a number of former Orlando City executives, so it looks like their MLS push is going full speed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

What the gently caress Patrick Mullins is really good.
Honestly that post-2000 list isn't far worse than the ratio you'd see of Wooden Award, Heisman Trophy, or Hobey Baker Award winners who go on to decent pro careers. Off of the top of my head, three of those players had their careers heavily impacted by injuries (O'Brian White, Marcus Storey, Alecko Eskandarian).

However that 90's Hermann Award list...oof.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 5, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

I dunno the 90's list has a few actually really good players like Claudio Reyna (Bundelsiga/EPL #10), Friedel (EPL GK), Lalas (Serie A and arrogant gently caress).
On the other hand, Johnny Torres, something called a Wojtek Krakowiak, Ali Curits, and a two-time winner who chose to become a doctor because MLS pay was so poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

True, I read the Fisher one and I'mma quote the wiki because its kind of sad, but funny. Also I am pretty sure Wojtek is a bear? and Curtis is at least a good GM?

Admittedly still true because alot of college players are poo poo and kinda dumb (personal experience with them), but considering Morris and others in Generation Adidas are rolling out of college and making (low) six figures I think its a good sign at how much the league has grown in actually making going pro somewhat viable. I mean the minimum MLS salary isn't going to break bank, but if you have a lovely communications degree from a state school thats better money than they probably would make.
Julian Valentin - former US U-20 regular - quit the sport in 2010 because he got a job making more money being the Digital Media head of the Colorado Rockies.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

True actually looking back at pretty much every athlete I knew at school alot of them are unemployed and all the rest work for Nike/Adidas/Under Armor (I went to school in Portland).

Also that was a few years ago if you make an MLS roster now the minimum now is 55K a year, I think back then it was like half that.
Yeah. It wasn't all that long ago that you could be a full-time player in MLS and make $30,000 a year, or perhaps even a bit less.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The USL president did an interview with Sport Illustrated tonight and it sure does look like they're thinking about suing the USSF if they don't get D2 status at the expense of the NASL:

quote:

“Based on decades of past practices from the Federation and the fact that we have the strongest application they’ve ever received, I can’t see a rational reason why they wouldn’t approve it,” he said. “Why they would turn down the strongest [D2] application would be very hard to understand. However, if they do that, if that happens, we will evaluate the situation at that time. Let me be clear. We will look at all available options to us at that point. We believe this is the strongest application they’ve ever had. If they reject this, we’ll look at all options available to us.”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

wicka posted:

The Chargers kicker was a goalkeeper in college and drafted 8th overall in the 2008 SuperDraft.
It's really hard to believe he's still only 25 or so.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Even more hilarious news about the Chargers to StubHub: Galaxy retains Primary Tenant status for the two years, meaning that the Chargers will literally have to schedule their preseason and regular season home games around the MLS schedule.

Dean Spanos is giving the NFL $650,000,000 to do this for two years before moving on.

GUYS! WE'VE MADE IT!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently something unbelievably fishy has happened RE: the Sacramento bid. It was scrubbed of all Sacramento Republic iconography and the current majority owner - Kevin Nagle - is not including any of founding partners (he bought the majority share a few months after the team played its first game) in the process.

Reading through the tea leaves plus a Deadspin article summing things up, it appears that he bought in once Sacramento looked like a good MLS market, used the other founders to help build up the team, managed to get the stadium deal with his name on it, and left them out in the cold when it came time to bid on a spot in MLS. Nagle also happens to be a large donor to Kevin Johnson's charter school.

whypick1 posted:

This all would've been easier had the USSF just killed NASL :colbert:
I've said this I don't know how many times, but you can blame this all on the USL. They had a deal in place with the USSF to take on all of the NASL teams sans Cosmos some time in December, and then they went back on it - league HQ tried to tell Sunil Gulati that no they get to pick and choose which teams to take in and which teams to kill, and oh by the way they all have to pay 2.5 million bucks up front to get in.

Oh and they also preemptively told the USSF that if they didn't get D2 sanctioning they'd sue. I'm sure that went over well.

If Papadakis or whatever his name is hadn't acted like an arrogant shitbird USL would have been left having all of the D2 teams to itself.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 1, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well I think you can cross Sacramento off the list:

https://twitter.com/SacRepublicFC/status/826836262724202497

That went from "stone cold lock" to "oh my god what a shitshow" in record time didn't it

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ShutteredIn posted:

Meg Whitman getting involved in anything is basically a death knell.
Actually if you'll believe Evan Ream it was Nagle himself, with the help of the Sacramento mayor to bring on York and Whitman, who scrubbed Republic from the MLS bid no more than 24 hours before they submitted it.

I believe we have a name for this: THE SACRAMENTO SCREWJOB

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Still more likely to get a team than Miami.
I think at this point Green Bay, Wisconsin is more likely to land an MLS team than Beckham Club Miami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Is anyone else watching NYRB vs. VAN?

:laffo: Klejstan

https://twitter.com/WhitecapsFC/status/834586389324894209
Does it count as a save if the player purposely hits it directly at you?

• Locked thread