Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
Basically the only surprise from FC Dallas' expansion draft list is that they left Chris Seitz unprotected. Considering he's been our #1 for all of last season and most of the season before that, his loss would probably be a big deal - Jesse Gonzalez shipped five goals to Houston (!) in his first match last season and never really looked comfortable in any match he played after that, which is odd considering how strong he played in the 2015 playoffs.

At any rate, the only team in the market for a keeper is probably Minnesota, since Atlanta already (probably) has Brad Guzan. And if Minnesota is in the market for a keeper, they're almost certainly going for Clint Irwin over Chris Seitz. It's not a slam dunk, as Irwin has been somewhat less than his best since coming back from injury, but I feel pretty good about Seitz staying with Dallas and either continuing to be the #1 (Gonzalez is, after all, only 21 years old) or else backing up and mentoring Gonzalez.

There's some tiny chance Zach Loyd gets taken, but he missed pretty much the whole season with concussion problems. He may end up being the second coming of George John, if he gets taken in the draft only to never play a single minute for the team that drafted him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Azerban posted:

this is the worst league

You've got it all wrong. The punishment for failing in the final step of their Cup quest is that they are cursed to wander the continent, haunting desperate wastelands such as Minneapolis and Kansas City. They will eventually be allowed to return home, but only after their pilgrimage has sufficiently atoned for their shame.

That's what I choose to believe, anyway.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

whypick1 posted:

If you suddenly find yourself down to having only 1 keeper on your roster you can sign those guys short-term. Otherwise they're not attached to any roster.

Maybe my Google-fu is weak today but I can't even find the last time a team had to sign someone from the League Pool.

e: best I can do is Chris Konopka in 2011: http://ussoccerplayers.com/2011/08/the-pool-keeper.html

ee: SKC signed Tim Melia from the pool in 2014 and kept him at the end of the season: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/05/06/out-pool-fire-goalkeeper-tim-melia-making-most-his-chance-sporting-kc

TheNakedJimbo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 10, 2017

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

Xylorjax posted:

Wait, the Chargers are gonna play in a 27000 seat stadium? How does that make any drat sense at all?

I was under the impression that NFL teams got a comparatively small portion of their revenue from ticket sales, compared with the amount they get from merchandise, cable TV contracts, and so on. I can't find really great data, but it looks like the Chargers earned about 16% of their 344 million dollar revenue from ticket sales in 2015. Moving into a stadium half that capacity would result in an 8% drop in revenue, which is certainly significant, but is also manageable for a period of two years while a new stadium is built.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

I really don't know what to make of FCD signing Cristian Colman. On the one hand, FCD needs a big 15- to 20-goal #9, and Colman only had 11 goals in 31 appearances with a Paraguayan club. On the other hand, he was also being pursued by Lanus, Club Leon, Sao Paolo, and Gremio, so they must all have seen something.

I get that he's only 22 and will be competing with Maxi Urruti for first-team minutes, and that players can take a while to adapt to a new league, but for a $2m fee and $1m salary, I feel like anything less than double-digit goals would be a letdown.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

Don't care, got rid of Barnes.

The reaction here in Orlando has been "Don't care, got rid of Brek." He's on more money than Barnes, has been broken most of the last two seasons, and hasn't done much even when healthy. He's not quite good enough to be a left winger and not quite defensive enough to be a left back. He's a solution in search of a problem.

I was a huge Brek homer during the years he played (and I lived) in Dallas, but then he went to England and was crap and never recovered, and I eventually got tired of trying to defend him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

My understanding was that Brek was on 450k and Barnes was on 750k,

For some reason I thought Barnes was on 350, but I checked last year's salaries and you're correct, so I retract that line. 750 makes it slightly less beneficial for Orlando, but perhaps not too badly; there has been talk that Larin might play better with a partner rather than as a lone striker, and I believe the team played a 4-3-1-2 in their final preseason game. If Barnes can be that second striker, if he can provide goals and assists and take some of the heat so it's harder to mark Larin completely out of a game, then it'll still end up being worth it.

• Locked thread