Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Bad team names would be downright entertaining if the Soccer Don wasn't continuously making the dumbest decisions possible.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I, for one, think the biggest problem with MLS' appearance and being taken seriously is that most of the players are bad. (But since they actually want to develop and use North American players rather than become another Premier League, this is for now kind of unavoidable but will improve over time.)

American players would be far better served by being exposed to and forced to compete with excellent talent rather than being protected and coddled. Protectionist policies are a central tenant of the FMF and one of the largest contributors to why Mexican players have gotten worse and worse every year while the rest of CONCACAF continues to improve.

MLS would be far better served if its wage structures were such that a team could afford to buy a handful of strong players composing the core of a team rather than always splashing out on one or two big names some idiot in a marketing office thought would fill up seats.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's not about the current American players, most of them are a lost cause. It's about the generations rising and to come that need someplace where they can play professionally and competitively, with and against comparatively excellent talent, but where they can also actually get playing time to improve without being shoved to the bench in favour of a Euro/South American player who is already better for a team that needs to win. Canada is finally looking to start its own national domestic league (as opposed to a regional match-fixing front) in the near future and this is explicitly the rationale, and I don't blame the USSF for thinking similarly.

I know this, and again, its a dumb idea and it doesn't work. The FMF has done tons of dumb poo poo in the interest of giving Mexican players a place to grow and develop and all it has done is stagnated and regressed the quality of players produced in Mexico. Meanwhile the existence of MLS has meant that loads of other CONCACAF teams have had their players exposed to greater competition than their domestic leagues offered and low and behold, the likes of Costa Rica, Honduras, ETC. have improved drastically over the years.

In the next two to three WCQ cycles Mexico is going to fail to qualify and a huge part of the failure of Mexican players to develop is the protectionist policies of the Liga MX. Why Canada and the United States want to double down on that sort of idiocy is beyond me.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

wicka posted:

If we're serious about producing talent then what we really need to be doing is blanketing this country with academies, not gifting roster spots to American players.

For sure, but in the context of "roster rules" if you want your players to get better exposing them to competition is a far better idea than making it as easy as possible for them to play even if they are garbage.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

US/Canadian soccer execs are probably looking at the PL and its apparent effect on the English national team as their cautionary tale here, rather than Liga MX (espescially since "soccer" and "England" are basically synonymous among a certain vintage and shade of soccer fan in those countries).

Why? England is a tiny Island nation that produces an absurd amount of talent relative to its size and fills up some 9 levels worth of a footballing pyramid (the majority of that talent dwarfs what is available in mls), they are something to emulate not be scared of and the idea that the PL has somehow stifled the development of English players is laughable, Cahill, Sterling, Lallana, Henderson, Sturridge, competing in the Premier league against the best the world can offer has done loads to create exceptional players.

Protectionist Policy is how Pavel Pardo got over 100+ caps for Mexico. He is garbage, He was so loving garbage he couldn't score in MLS. This is the kind of player MLS will produce if they keep up with this stupidity. Say no to Pavel Pardos, demand better of your loving league and country for Christ's sake.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 4, 2017

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

I don't think League One dwarfs MLS talent, I think many MLS sides could do alright in the Championship I mean they wouldn't get close to winning however I think plenty would hold their own.

Yes but have you considered stuff like this:

MLS bad, lmao that Roy Miller still has a job in this league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

There is no way they can keep expanding what the gently caress are they thinking

• Locked thread