Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Maybe it's just me but Vader's voice just seemed off for some reason, felt they could have definitely done better. There's not a lot of him--but I will say if you wanted to see some Vader you'll be pleasantly surprised :stare:

JEJ's voicing is definitely off. He phoned it in. The usual cheesy-slow cadence of his speech is gone...it's like he's doing a blind read, "gently caress you I'm JEJ pay me all the money for being this damned cyborg force demon again".

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Fuuuuuck I was planning on seeing it with my parents on Xmas but I might sneak off and have my own private viewing? Is it a movie you can watch twice and enjoy?

Yeah I am going to see it...several times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeris posted:

JEJ's voicing is definitely off. He phoned it in. The usual cheesy-slow cadence of his speech is gone...it's like he's doing a blind read, "gently caress you I'm JEJ pay me all the money for being this damned cyborg force demon again".

I don't think so, I think it's more his voice changing over the years. If you look up his work on the Star Wars Rebel series you'll see it's pretty similar. Though one interesting thing is one of the voice directors on the show said JEJ told them he wasn't sure how to do the voice since it had been so long. They said he got it perfect though...which isn't quite true. It's possible he can't quite or recall how to do it and no one wants to say it's not right. I'll try and post some rebel clips when I get in.

I'm also just loathe to criticize JEJ that much.

Tarkin was amazing and it was wonderful seeing Peter Cushing "back."

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Is it a movie you can watch twice and enjoy?

Yes.

It's really a good movie. Iron Not So Giant, the coolest droid in the history of Star Wars, makes it worth the price of admission and the two main characters living out the GIP dream is why you pay for a second viewing.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 16, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

RIP k :( truly too good for this world

Probably the darkest of all the Star Wars movies so far, besides the younglings bit. I loving loved Ip Man's accomplice, that dude loving ruled. Not sure why no one else uses his gun. As I mentioned in the dad thread Ip Man's implementation to garner a Chinese fan base was great. It was just the right amount of cheese without being forced and lame. They did him and his salty buddy right

What was that bit the troopers were talking about on the beach before they get waxed? I feel I missed a joke/Easter egg

But god drat that first x-wing scene with their headlights on and poo poo zooming through :cabot:

I guess it's a common movie thing but it seems the trailer had a lot of poo poo/quotes not in the movie

Was all this planned and loosely what Lucas had in his mind when he wrote the original movies or did they just connect dots with random poo poo

i'm glad they just straight up let everyone get smoked and didn't leave a possibility for them reappearing and some poo poo. Showing the great sacrifice these brave souls made for the rebellion etc etc. the ending was great and especially poignant ~~man gets killed by his own creation~~

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 17, 2016

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
K2 is clearly the best droid ever. RIP man :(

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Vader at the end.

:stare:

:same: :kiss:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Man I need to see this. I thought TFA was OK, better than ep I-III though I am skeptical i'll ever agree that a new star wars can top 4-6, this movie sounds like it's at least in the running

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya same sentiments. TFA was at least a relief from how poo poo 1-3 were but still could have been better

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Many Bothans died to bring you this film.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

wonder if we'll see a movie about that

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Zeris posted:

He's loving 85. It was good to see Vader actually being a badass.

This movie was great. It was much grittier than I expected, without going over-the-top just because.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I feel like the biggest difference in JEJ's voice acting is that he sounded angry in Rogue One as opposed to the original trilogy where Vader sounded a lot calmer and more cold.

My biggest problem with Vader in this movie however is the fact that they let his cape's clasp chain go under his helmet the whole time. :argh:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

That last sequence with Vader is so goddamn good

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
They really missed out on Erso's backstory, what happened between climbing into that rock and riding the prison van
Hopefully someone in the franchise will have Lucas' OCD and get that cleared up. Aside from that I enjoyed it, ending was sweet and the characters were fun. I believe critics tend to remember the collective series in their memory and forget just how fragmented each episode in the original trilogy really was. That allowed for imagination to fill in the gaps and made people love the series so much, but if they're gonna give someone the Anakin treatment it shouldn't have huge gaps.

Now I'm watching the trailers to see what I missed out on

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 17, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I don't really have anything to add to what everyone already said. The tech they used to digitally resurrect Peter Cushing and de-age Carrie Fisher is some next-level uncanny valley poo poo, but it's loving incredible. I had to check and remind myself that he wasn't a real person. They did a great job of sketching out all the characters and giving them charm. Chirrut & Baze's bromance is a nice touch, excellent chemistry, and I felt legit bad as the crew made their final stands. I'm glad they had the guts to let the movie go out on such a dark note.

Speaking of which, this has been a good few years for movies, but Darth Vader stepping up to remind the galaxy why everyone is afraid of him may be the illest poo poo I've seen on screen in the last 12 months. Also his apparent newfound love of puns.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Am I the only one who thought The Force Awakens was good?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
TFA was surprisingly good but not good

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I thought it was good. A little derivative, yeah, but I liked it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

I thought it was good. A little derivative, yeah, but I liked it.

:same:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Genocide Tendency posted:

Am I the only one who thought The Force Awakens was good?

It was good. I don't care if it's derivative of a beloved movie that came out 40 years ago and had to lean heavily to reestablish that these movies can be better than the garbage spewed in the late 90s/early 00s.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Nobody else in GiP seems to care that the dude from Four Lions got to go on the Rubber Dinghy Rapids.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
TFA was really good IMHO, though it also had going for it, that you sat with your rear end clenched shut with terror that it would be as bad as episode 1 and then it wasn't. That said, I feel that anyone who isn't a dumb sperg who thinks they're going to feel exactly like E4-6 did when they were a kid, are going to be really happy with Rogue One( and TFA, for that matter).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

It was good. I don't care if it's derivative of a beloved movie that came out 40 years ago and had to lean heavily to reestablish that these movies can be better than the garbage spewed in the late 90s/early 00s.

:same:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

RIP k :( truly too good for this world

Probably the darkest of all the Star Wars movies so far, besides the younglings bit. I loving loved Ip Man's accomplice, that dude loving ruled. Not sure why no one else uses his gun. As I mentioned in the dad thread Ip Man's implementation to garner a Chinese fan base was great. It was just the right amount of cheese without being forced and lame. They did him and his salty buddy right

What was that bit the troopers were talking about on the beach before they get waxed? I feel I missed a joke/Easter egg

But god drat that first x-wing scene with their headlights on and poo poo zooming through :cabot:

I guess it's a common movie thing but it seems the trailer had a lot of poo poo/quotes not in the movie

Was all this planned and loosely what Lucas had in his mind when he wrote the original movies or did they just connect dots with random poo poo

i'm glad they just straight up let everyone get smoked and didn't leave a possibility for them reappearing and some poo poo. Showing the great sacrifice these brave souls made for the rebellion etc etc. the ending was great and especially poignant ~~man gets killed by his own creation~~

I wookiepedia'd it, the T-15 is a type of blaster rifle. Of course soldiers are gonna bitch about their weapons being obselete.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There's so many callbacks it's glorious. I think that quip about the T-15s is calling back to the scene in ANH where Obi-Wan has to shut down the shield generators and he distracts them with the force

That last scene with Vader made up for "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Gold/Red leaders from the death star run making a return. No wedge Antilles/Biggs/Piggy Porkins though :(

Disney really is the grand-master of the uncanny valley. They've made pretty impressive progress since Jeff Bridges in TRON.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

There's so many callbacks it's glorious. I think that quip about the T-15s is calling back to the scene in ANH where Obi-Wan has to shut down the shield generators and he distracts them with the force

Gold/Red leaders from the death star run making a return. No wedge Antilles/Biggs/Piggy Porkins though :(

Disney really is the grand-master of the uncanny valley. They've made pretty impressive progress since Jeff Bridges in TRON.

Biggs is in there

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
How did the size of the Scarif attack fleet compare to the fleet at the Battle of Endor? Seems odd how they seemed roughly the same size but one was soundly defeated when the other seriously damaged their capabilities. Both were surprise attacks too. Was it me or did the entire mission seem very costly just to lead up to something the Empire knew was going to happen (an attack on the death star)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Suicide Watch posted:

How did the size of the Scarif attack fleet compare to the fleet at the Battle of Endor? Seems odd how they seemed roughly the same size but one was soundly defeated when the other seriously damaged their capabilities. Both were surprise attacks too. Was it me or did the entire mission seem very costly just to lead up to something the Empire knew was going to happen (an attack on the death star)

nerd time, the endor fleet had several mon cal cruisers that were rough equivalents of Star Destroyers while the scarif fleet looked to have a bunch corvettes a couple of frigates and one ship that was larger but not star destroyer sized, they were punching way above their weight in scariff which is why when Vader showed up he cut through them like a scythe

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

N4i can we do this thread without spoiler tags? Or have a thread where we can discuss this without spoilers?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

You see the back of Antilles's when one of the Senators calls out for him

Also loving EA hop to it and make a goddamn X-Wing Alliance game worth a poo poo for fucks sake.

Bolow fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 17, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And there was a fat X-Wing pilot who got roasted, so there's your Porkins nod.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

And there was a fat X-Wing pilot who got roasted, so there's your Porkins nod.

Did you catch who's call sign that was?

Luke's

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Bolow posted:

You see the back of Antilles's when one of the Senators calls out for him

Also loving EA hop to it and make a goddamn X-Wing Alliance game worth a poo poo for fucks sake.

Wrong Antilles. They're talking about the Captain Antilles who commands Tantive IV.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flikken posted:

Did you catch who's call sign that was?

Luke's

I did not, I was too busy laughing.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flikken posted:

N4i can we do this thread without spoiler tags? Or have a thread where we can discuss this without spoilers?

As the guy who started it I figured once US opening day hits, spoilers are fair game, but I forgot to post that and have been tagging stuff myself. But I'm fine with no tagging.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Flikken posted:

Ya spoiler it in dad thread but we should be open here eh

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Godholio posted:

also, :same:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Spoilers are go I suppose.

Holy poo poo what a movie. Had chills at the end.

Also I'm super gay for X-Wings and those space battles.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

You should probably throw a spoiler warning in the thread title

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 17, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I got chills a handful of times I'm such a child

"squadron up" :dong:

So no one else disliked the CGI faces? Don't get me wrong the tech is amazing but you can still easily tell and bleh.

Also that was Leia's dad right? I recognized the dude from episode 3 that adopts her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

This. Seriously, if that scramble of the X-Wing on Yavin doesn't get you rock hard, I don't know what will.

Waiting at a bar to go see it again in an hour.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I got chills a handful of times I'm such a child

"squadron up" :dong:

So no one else disliked the CGI faces? Don't get me wrong the tech is amazing but you can still easily tell and bleh.

Also that was Leia's dad right? I recognized the dude from episode 3 that adopts her

I thought even though I could tell it was CGI, it was still super well done and not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. Leia's was the only one that was a little cringey but I'd say it's only cause she was smiling even though a poo poo ton of people just got killed 20 feet away from her.

And yes, Jimmy Smits is leia's adopted dad, Bail Organa.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 17, 2016

• Locked thread