Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yeah, Bail Organa, that's him. Tarkin and Leia seemed a little weird, and it irked me a bit that Tarkin's face was way too expressive. If you go back to IV, his face hardly moves at all. It just felt, I dunno, overdone? What happens when you inevitably watch Rogue One and A New Hope back-to-back?

Still an awesome movie, can't wait to see it again. Two thumbs space boners up.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I assume A New Hope (omg think about that for a sec) picks up almost immediately after this movie ends.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Say what you want about Disney and the industrialization of movie franchises but they are drat good at what they do. They understand why people liked episodes IV and V (on rewatch I feel like Jedi should have warned us what was going to happen to the prequels) and build off that. The only time we saw a light saber in this movie poo poo was about to go down.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I assume A New Hope (omg think about that for a sec) picks up almost immediately after this movie ends.

It does...and it's so awesome.

Handsome Ralph posted:

This. Seriously, if that scramble of the X-Wing on Yavin doesn't get you rock hard, I don't know what will.
Vader with a lightsaber through a guys chest and the door? I mean personally I don't see why both can't give you a nice sustained one.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Leia's was the only one that was a little cringey but I'd say it's only cause she was smiling even though a poo poo ton of people just got killed 20 feet away from her.
They accidentally programmed in an eightball for her based on historical data.

For anyone interested on Tarkin and how it was done (well a little, Disney isn't going to be disucssing things till January)
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/rogue-one-peter-cushing-digital-resurrection-cgi-1201943759/

Say what you want about Disney and the industrialization of movie franchises but they are drat good at what they do. They understand why people liked episodes IV and V (on rewatch I feel like Jedi should have warned us what was going to happen to the prequels) and build off that. The only time we saw a light saber in this movie poo poo was about to go down.

They're going to milk it dry eventually...but up until that point, and this applies to Marvel too, I'm happy with it all.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

They tied it in just about perfectly imo. And the Vader scene and the absolute terror in those rebels faces god drat

Do you guys think there should have been more force/jedi poo poo or was it better negating all of that? Really showed the state of the galaxy etc. I know there's still Jedi throughout the galaxy (or I guess that's not Disney canon) and a little scene with a light saber or Jedi would have been cool

I was confused about that first battle when Cassian seemingly shot that rebel or whatever faction they were that was up top did I miss something? Whatcha guys think of Mr. Whitaker?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 17, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Man I am so fuckin sick of hearing about people's opinions on the CGI when there's so many other cool things to talk about. Like, it's interesting they did it, but the arguments on who looked right/wrong are as dumb as those "the dress is blue/the dress is black" social media meltdowns. Anyways. Baze Malbus machine gun is all I want for Christmas. Also that white shaggy wookie knockoff carrying a space minigun gently caress gently caress gently caress, why didn't they bring him to Scarif gently caress, also the general getting shot down :( I wish the TIE fighter on the comms tower scene from the previews had been brought back; I wish K2 magically survived and/or I hope he gets his own spinoff movie

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh ok then

Well it is cool tech but not all that new did everyone forget they did it in Tron?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I thought the CG faces were impressive, but it should've been used more sparingly. And agreed that Leia was way too happy...she smiled more in 5 seconds of this movie than she did in the first two combined.

Vader raging through the corridor was loving awesome (he pinned that dude to the ceiling and drat near sliced him in half!), and fits perfectly with his anger at the start of ANW.

I was content with the lack of force/light saber stuff. That's not what this movie was about, and I'm glad it wasn't shoehorned in to make the idiot fanbois blow their loads. We got a better movie for it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Instead they added dogfighting and space battles for nerds to blow their loads over :buddy:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Praise Jebus.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Instead they added dogfighting and space battles for nerds to blow their loads over :buddy:
:flashfap:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Unrelated:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Also grats to the U-Wing for achieving :krad: space ship status.

And lol Vader's Fortress of Solitude is on Mustafar.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 17, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Almost wanna buy the lego version. The door gunner and them dumping another squad into the battle was pretty loving awesome.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If there's one thing Gareth Edwards can do well, it's character driven plot with the eye candy dished out sparingly. Monsters and Godzilla get a lot of hate for not having CGI monsters all over the drat place but the dude knows how to use them as plot devices rather than a crutch *cough*Lucas*cough*. I was also a little sad that the TIE rising up menacingly got cut, because the scale of it just looked so good. Also, K2 is just a leaf on the wind now, much like that Imperial cargo pilot is enjoying Rubber Dinghy Rapids. The cast was incredible for this movie. I'm really looking forward to seeing Donald Glover as Lando now

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Someone pointed out that this movie was basically the plot of Halo: Reach.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And lol Vader's Fortress of Solitude is on Mustafar.

Weirdest thing is I always figured he would just be there himself or with droids. It's kind of weird to think of other people being there too, beyond building it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You know, I think there was a bunch of trailer stuff that wasn't in there, like Jyn's "I'm a rebel" line.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

Almost wanna buy the lego version. The door gunner and them dumping another squad into the battle was pretty loving awesome.
Oh, man, I wish I had the disposable income to just load up on Star Wars Legos and make some badass dioramas.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naked Bear posted:

You know, I think there was a bunch of trailer stuff that wasn't in there, like Jyn's "I'm a rebel" line.

I always feel like a lot of stuff is done for the trailer or is used with the idea that another take is going in. If only because of the long advertising campaign some stuff will be stale or annoying by release date.

Also my daughter got scared during the Vader rampage...she was scared of the guys shooting at Vader. I assured her he would be fine.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 17, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

A lot--more than usual

"What will you become"

Did Mon even say "we have a special mission for you?"

They never add an extended cut to the dvds do they

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Ah, I haven't noticed that with other movies lately. I think the last one I saw in a theater was actually Force Awakens.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Do you guys think there should have been more force/jedi poo poo or was it better negating all of that? Really showed the state of the galaxy etc. I know there's still Jedi throughout the galaxy (or I guess that's not Disney canon) and a little scene with a light saber or Jedi would have been cool

I think this movie had the perfect amount of Force related stuff in it, namely very little.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Did CGI Tarkin remind anyone else of the spy from Team Fortress?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Reminder that the Emperor's first name is Sheev.

Palpy :kimchi:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

Oh, man, I wish I had the disposable income to just load up on Star Wars Legos and make some badass dioramas.

Agreed. I let my nerd flag fly enough to buy an AT-AT and last year's Millenium Falcon release, though. Goddamn AT-AT is about an inch too tall to stand on the entertainment stand shelf I wanted to put it on.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sounds like a Bogan or Soccer hooligan.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Wait, what? Really?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

Wait, what? Really?

oh yes, and that poo poo's in the new media so it's canon :xd:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Saw it a second time, still just as awesome.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I don't care about this movie or Star Wars in general anymore. Boring and played out :sad:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Everyone's talking about how the X-Wing scenes made their weiners tingle but the scene where the AT-AT slowly appears out of the smoke made me :dong:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

I don't care about this movie or Star Wars in general anymore. Boring and played out :sad:
:getout:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

i always suspected you were an at the date sock puppet :haw:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 18, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
1v1me irl !!!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I hope we get Darth Icky in a future movie

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I hope we get Darth Icky in a future movie

Somewhere a former Lucasarts employee just felt a great triggering in the force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Star Wars done right. Man, that Vader bit at the end was worth the price of admission. After making Anakin look like a chump for three movies straight, I'm real glad they showed why everyone's afraid of him by the main trilogy. They really made facing him look like a poo poo-your-pants moment.

And I didn't think Disney would have the balls to off the whole main cast. Good on em.

Also glad the Y-Wings finally got to be useful. And the cruiser cribbed from KOTOR!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Was all this planned and loosely what Lucas had in his mind when he wrote the original movies or did they just connect dots with random poo poo

If memory serves, in ep4 Leia acts all offended when she's captured and tells Vader (Tarkin?) that she's on a peaceful diplomatic mission. Since Rogue One ends with her narrow escape from a crippled rebel capital ship, I don't think anything in Rogue One was planned in advance. Probably just connecting the dots. I don't think there was even an implication that the rebels had a real fleet.

The Temple of the Whills gave me such a nerdboner. In the first drafts of A New Hope, back when it was just The Star Wars, the whole setup was that it was a story recorded in the Journal of the Whills, a record of the jedi. For decades, nobody knew wtf the Whills were, or why they would matter in Star Wars. Forty years later, they finally get an on-screen shoutout.

• Locked thread