Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Terrible quality but hey more Vader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muK2vq6UzYU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I cannot wait until march or april when this movie hits Amazon to rent so I can finally watch it

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Arc Light posted:

If memory serves, in ep4 Leia acts all offended when she's captured and tells Vader (Tarkin?) that she's on a peaceful diplomatic mission. Since Rogue One ends with her narrow escape from a crippled rebel capital ship, I don't think anything in Rogue One was planned in advance.
:lol: I'd forgotten about that. The new material definitely gives certain lines in the original trilogy a new subtext. Leia telling Vader to his face that she's riding a consular ship on a diplomatic mission, with all the apparent sincerity of a suspect on COPS insisting that the fifty five pounds of weed in her trunk are for legal, personal consumption. No wonder he's pissed.

Obi Wan telling Luke that Darth Vader killed his father, leaving out the part about having dismembered him.

"Here's your father's light saber. He killed two dozen children with it, and then I took it off his body when I left him to burn to death. He would have wanted you to have it."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 18, 2016

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I cannot wait until march or april when this movie hits Amazon to rent so I can finally watch it
The Force Awakens came out on April 1, so I'd expect this to be on a pretty similar release schedule.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is it me, or did including Donnie Yen and Jiang Wei really pay off? Hong Kong force moves, yes please :awesome:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: I'd forgotten about that. The new material definitely gives certain lines in the original trilogy a new subtext. Leia telling Vader to his face that she's riding a consular ship on a diplomatic mission, with all the apparent sincerity of a suspect on COPS insisting that the fifty five pounds of weed in her trunk are for legal, personal consumption. No wonder he's pissed.

Obi Wan telling Luke that Darth Vader killed his father, leaving out the part about having dismembered him.

"Here's your father's light saber. He killed two dozen children with it, and then I took it off his body when I left him to burn to death. He would have wanted you to have it."

The second part at least was intended/ part of the original back story

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

This is a movie worth seeing in IMAX.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

PTSD Obi Wan :stare:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
So the trailers all show Jyn, Cassian and the squad running across the beach, likely toward some rescue. Imagine if they made it back to the fleet and the Vader hall scene was with Rogue One and not random Rebel troopers

If that was the original ending I could see why they would say it's too dark and order the reshoot

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Suicide Watch posted:

So the trailers all show Jyn, Cassian and the squad running across the beach, likely toward some rescue. Imagine if they made it back to the fleet and the Vader hall scene was with Rogue One and not random Rebel troopers

If that was the original ending I could see why they would say it's too dark and order the reshoot

Yeah I think that might have been a little too much of a gut punch.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Suicide Watch posted:

Oh my god I want to see this

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pesticide20 posted:

Oh my god I want to see this

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Too dark for a storyline that has exterminated throngs of children and entire worlds?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/810474503490904064

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/810295448602836993

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 18, 2016

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Suicide Watch posted:

Oh man. I like that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManMythLegend posted:

Oh man. I like that.

Yeah and it actually makes you dislike Vader...because lets be honest...was anyone not enjoying him murdering the crap out of those guys?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah and it actually makes you dislike Vader...because lets be honest...was anyone not enjoying him murdering the crap out of those guys?

Can't lie, the guy pounding on the door yelling "Someone help us!" made me chuckle. No dude, no one is going to help you. No one can.

Movie owned, gonna pour one out for K2 next time I have something to pour out. Loved all the dogfights and the CAS operations carried out by fighters. Would definitely watch again, if just to marvel at the huge loving explosions.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Posted in dad thread but prob makes more sense here

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: SteelBook [Blu-ray/DVD] $10 free shipping @ best buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/star-wa...a0a507cb53c0INT

-edit per slickdeals forum post it includes digital as well

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 19, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well, that'll be impossible to beat.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Goddammit Disney where's my 4k Blu-ray force awakens?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Godholio posted:

Well, that'll be impossible to beat.

buying 4 for easy gifts

-edit nvm limit is 3

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 19, 2016

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Suicide Watch posted:

Having them escape the GIP dream only to be cut down by a cold and emotionless Vader is about the only way R1 could have ended better.

Survived being hunted by the empire as a child, rescued by rebel forces at 16 from a concentration camp and chased Death Star plans across the galaxy, escape nuclear armageddon TWICE...

Zeeeerrrrrrrrrt.

The only thing about the CGI faces that really bothered me is for some reason Leia's face looked oddly thin. Like they forgot to hold down the shift key when resizing it to fit. But it wasn't bad enough to go on an autistic nerd fit over.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/rrrroux/status/810852734647881728

The only thing that annoys me more than "WHAT ARE FEMALE LEADS AND COLOREDS DOING IN MY STAR WARS?!?" shitheads is "Two same sex characters have good buddy chemistry together? GAY MARRIAGE CANNON CONFIRMED!"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

To be fair I assumed they were a couple.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

To be fair I assumed they were a couple.

Fair enough. I mean, if Disney or Edwards came right out and said they were, I'd be cool with the idea (not that I'm the arbiter of what's cool with SW). I just get annoyed when people shoehorn their ideas into the story for whatever reason.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fair enough. I mean, if Disney or Edwards came right out and said they were, I'd be cool with the idea (not that I'm the arbiter of what's cool with SW). I just get annoyed when people shoehorn their ideas into the story for whatever reason.

How mad were you when people shipped Poe and Finn?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Pesticide20 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJLDZHE6bRE

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

I didn't read the relationship that way but I can see it now that it's mentioned.

Having people be gay in movies and not having it be a plot point or some sort of big announcement is kind of a big deal and good thing.

edit: Still not sure they were actually supposed to be gay, just saying I can see the arguement people are making for it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pesticide20 posted:

I rage anytime someone uses the word "ship" to mean anything besides a large boat or mailing something.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Godholio posted:

I rage anytime someone uses the word "ship" to mean anything besides a large boat or mailing something.

Me too.

I hope they never say anything about it. That's how you do diversity in media. The characters could incidentally be a couple without them saying anything about it.

Of course, someone will probably confirm it in order to fall over themselves to hit some diversity checkbox and it'll be in a BuzzFeed listicle on the best science fiction LGBT couples :cripes:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I hope they never say anything about it, because I hope Hollywood could portray two men with a decades-long friendship and complex emotional life without everyone jumping to the explanation "they must be Confirmed Bachelors, by which I mean they must be loving each other."

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Me too.

I hope they never say anything about it. That's how you do diversity in media. The characters could incidentally be a couple without them saying anything about it.

Of course, someone will probably confirm it in order to fall over themselves to hit some diversity checkbox and it'll be in a BuzzFeed listicle on the best science fiction LGBT couples :cripes:

That's exactly how I feel about it, I just phrased it poorly.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I hope they never say anything about it, because I hope Hollywood could portray two men with a decades-long friendship and complex emotional life without everyone jumping to the explanation "they must be Confirmed Bachelors, by which I mean they must be loving each other."

Honestly the "old sage/wizard and his erstwhile protector that share love-like bond" is kind of a fantasy trope and I thought that's what they were going for.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

That sounds kinda metal

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I just thought they were good bros. Who really gives a poo poo? Let's just let characters be characters instead of trying to define them as "this" or "that" or "some other thing." :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Naked Bear posted:

I just thought they were good bros. Who really gives a poo poo? Let's just let characters be characters instead of trying to define them as "this" or "that" or "some other thing." :shrug:

yeah this

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Naked Bear posted:

I like that media can be a little vague and let people add in things personally that make them enjoy the story more. It's a sign of good craftsmanship by the writer and director when that can happen naturally. I just hate the self-congratulatory loving buzzfeeds about those personal story additions. Just let people enjoy art, gently caress

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Or do what the last Star Trek did to show how progressive you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

There was nothing wrong with that either.

• Locked thread