Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
...sorry I need a place for Star Wars chat that isn't CD.

Here's 40 minutes of trailers, tv spots, clips and more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKrh9wHe-Xo

Here is some music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QPnOHXnU0

Blowing poo poo up is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzX0jyZ2V84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocide Tendency posted:

Rogue One is going to be just as good as Force Awakens..

I hope...

:ohdear:

I actually think it will be. I think TFA was a good movie, but it had the unfortunate task of having to make people hyped about Star Wars again, so it was a far more conservative film in many regards. I think we're going to get a film that allows a lot more variety in themes and ideas and I think it's going to work out nicely primary because it's a war movie referencing WWII and Vietnam, though devoid of the lame rear end attempt of some of the writers to insert current politics into the movie. Also as a die hard Godzilla nerd I really feel Gareth Edwards made a good Godzilla film so I trust him with Star Wars...regardless of the reshoot rumors...also thank God Josh Trank spazed out and will never touch Star Wars.

I am so hyped about the return of Darth Vadar even if it is only 5-10 minutes. It was cool seeing JEJ back doing Darth Vader on Star Wars Rebel (it's not bad, but just apply the rule of Clone Wars, so of it's really good and some of it early on is poo poo...also Grand Moff Tarkin is in it so plus +1 anyway) , his voice is a bit different, but still very much Darth. It was really cool of him to come back for a kids cartoon show. But even ignoring Darth I think the movie has a lot going for it in terms of setting, locales, HK47 esque droids (Also for Sherlock Holmes fans go look up the v/a for HK), and more.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

Though I'll be quite honest. The film could be just 120 minutes of the Rebellion preflighting and revving up X-Wings and I'd still watch it happily in theaters a half a dozen times.

:same:

Also Darth Vader saying more than Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

I 100% agree with this logic.

I think reactions to the rumored reshoots were over reactions by some. They are incredibly common so it's not a huge deal. The director getting fired, constant turnover in the writing staff or the director saying he's going to use the Alan Smithee pseudonym would be far greater indications of a poo poo movie.

I'll put it this way, Josh Trank, set the golden standard for gently caress ups with the Fantastic Four, until you get close to him, you're doing pretty good.

Kind of surprised the soundtrack hasn't leaked out yet, or oddly enough Amazon can't even put up a digital pre-order yet.

Oh Alexander Freed is doing the novelization and Johnathon Davis is doing narration for the audio book.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 14, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booblord Zagats posted:

I seriously cannot seem to get hype about anything Disney is making anymore. I think I am marketed out or some poo poo, this movie looks decent but i just can't work up the energy to give a poo poo.

Vader and Tarkin.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Movie was awesome. I enjoyed it a ton, also CGI for deaging and resurrecting is pretty drat amazing now.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vader at the end.

:stare:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeris posted:

JEJ's voicing is definitely off. He phoned it in. The usual cheesy-slow cadence of his speech is gone...it's like he's doing a blind read, "gently caress you I'm JEJ pay me all the money for being this damned cyborg force demon again".

I don't think so, I think it's more his voice changing over the years. If you look up his work on the Star Wars Rebel series you'll see it's pretty similar. Though one interesting thing is one of the voice directors on the show said JEJ told them he wasn't sure how to do the voice since it had been so long. They said he got it perfect though...which isn't quite true. It's possible he can't quite or recall how to do it and no one wants to say it's not right. I'll try and post some rebel clips when I get in.

I'm also just loathe to criticize JEJ that much.

Tarkin was amazing and it was wonderful seeing Peter Cushing "back."

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flikken posted:

N4i can we do this thread without spoiler tags? Or have a thread where we can discuss this without spoilers?

As the guy who started it I figured once US opening day hits, spoilers are fair game, but I forgot to post that and have been tagging stuff myself. But I'm fine with no tagging.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I assume A New Hope (omg think about that for a sec) picks up almost immediately after this movie ends.

It does...and it's so awesome.

Handsome Ralph posted:

This. Seriously, if that scramble of the X-Wing on Yavin doesn't get you rock hard, I don't know what will.
Vader with a lightsaber through a guys chest and the door? I mean personally I don't see why both can't give you a nice sustained one.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Leia's was the only one that was a little cringey but I'd say it's only cause she was smiling even though a poo poo ton of people just got killed 20 feet away from her.
They accidentally programmed in an eightball for her based on historical data.

For anyone interested on Tarkin and how it was done (well a little, Disney isn't going to be disucssing things till January)
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/rogue-one-peter-cushing-digital-resurrection-cgi-1201943759/

Say what you want about Disney and the industrialization of movie franchises but they are drat good at what they do. They understand why people liked episodes IV and V (on rewatch I feel like Jedi should have warned us what was going to happen to the prequels) and build off that. The only time we saw a light saber in this movie poo poo was about to go down.

They're going to milk it dry eventually...but up until that point, and this applies to Marvel too, I'm happy with it all.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also grats to the U-Wing for achieving :krad: space ship status.

And lol Vader's Fortress of Solitude is on Mustafar.

Weirdest thing is I always figured he would just be there himself or with droids. It's kind of weird to think of other people being there too, beyond building it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naked Bear posted:

You know, I think there was a bunch of trailer stuff that wasn't in there, like Jyn's "I'm a rebel" line.

I always feel like a lot of stuff is done for the trailer or is used with the idea that another take is going in. If only because of the long advertising campaign some stuff will be stale or annoying by release date.

Also my daughter got scared during the Vader rampage...she was scared of the guys shooting at Vader. I assured her he would be fine.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 17, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reminder that the Emperor's first name is Sheev.

Palpy :kimchi:

Sounds like a Bogan or Soccer hooligan.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I hope we get Darth Icky in a future movie

Somewhere a former Lucasarts employee just felt a great triggering in the force.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pesticide20 posted:

Oh my god I want to see this

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/810474503490904064

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/810295448602836993

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 18, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManMythLegend posted:

Oh man. I like that.

Yeah and it actually makes you dislike Vader...because lets be honest...was anyone not enjoying him murdering the crap out of those guys?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Handsome Ralph posted:

Agreed. Aside from that one guy making GBS threads his pants at the door, the rest of the Rebels all start shooting at Vader even though they all know it's likely a moot point (and that it's merely a delaying action) just to ensure the plans get the extra few seconds they need to board Tantive IV. Having the heroes there would slow it down way too much to get that urgency across.

Unless Vader just murdered them all the same. I mean White hats sure, but imagine if he just flipped Donnie Yen in the air and then sabered him.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suicide Watch posted:

I don't know, but I think dying via grenade or in a hail of bullets is a very classical way to go in terms of old war movies, and no doubt these were one of the old influences of Star Wars

Though oddly enough did people feel like the Rebel uniforms on Scarif had an odd mix of US Army in WWII and also Vietnam?

Oh and the Visual Guide is a really cool book for 24 bucks. I got it for my daughter it's far larger then the TFA one was. I mean like three or four times as large and filled with like every type of miniuta you could think of (like the different helmets worn by the Rebel pilots). Only downside is that, for obvious reasons there is nothing on Tarkin or Leia. That's about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocide Tendency posted:

Maybe Im just missing something...

I just think its cool he is poo poo talking a motherfucker who he is choking out from the other side of the room.

:same:

• Locked thread