Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Star Wars done right. Man, that Vader bit at the end was worth the price of admission. After making Anakin look like a chump for three movies straight, I'm real glad they showed why everyone's afraid of him by the main trilogy. They really made facing him look like a poo poo-your-pants moment.

And I didn't think Disney would have the balls to off the whole main cast. Good on em.

Also glad the Y-Wings finally got to be useful. And the cruiser cribbed from KOTOR!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Was all this planned and loosely what Lucas had in his mind when he wrote the original movies or did they just connect dots with random poo poo

If memory serves, in ep4 Leia acts all offended when she's captured and tells Vader (Tarkin?) that she's on a peaceful diplomatic mission. Since Rogue One ends with her narrow escape from a crippled rebel capital ship, I don't think anything in Rogue One was planned in advance. Probably just connecting the dots. I don't think there was even an implication that the rebels had a real fleet.

The Temple of the Whills gave me such a nerdboner. In the first drafts of A New Hope, back when it was just The Star Wars, the whole setup was that it was a story recorded in the Journal of the Whills, a record of the jedi. For decades, nobody knew wtf the Whills were, or why they would matter in Star Wars. Forty years later, they finally get an on-screen shoutout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Dead Reckoning posted:

Obi Wan telling Luke that Darth Vader killed his father, leaving out the part about having dismembered him.

"Here's your father's light saber. He killed two dozen children with it, and then I took it off his body when I left him to burn to death. He would have wanted you to have it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

That was what did it for me.

:yeah: The old steel pot helmets were a nice touch. Star Wars has a long history of re-purposing old guns and gear as props, good to see it continue.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's not controversial or a bad line. People are just saying that, in the other movies, Vader tends to drop pithy one liners while he chokes dudes out. Therefore, it isn't weird that he does it in Rogue One.

Thanks for making me an autist.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Genocide Tendency posted:

Maybe Im just missing something...

I just think its cool he is poo poo talking a motherfucker who he is choking out from the other side of the room.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Because they had to get the plans first.

I liked R1, but it's a valid criticism. She didn't need the plans to get Obi-Wan, she just needed to take a trip to Tatooine to go look for him. It was only circumstance that the plans ended up on her ship. The big rebel capital ship was preparing to flee the system right before Vader dropped in to say hi.

Also

Kuroyama posted:

The "choke on your aspirations" line was great because Vader emphasized "choke" in that way you do when you want people to know you're making a pun.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's rare that a joke gets funnier when it is re-told, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Potential BFF posted:

He's only on comms, but Wedge is flying around with Red Squadron and he's voiced by Denis Lawson in an uncredited cameo. OG Red and Gold leaders got the same CGI magic as Tarkin and Leia.

It isn't critical to the story or anything but Saw is in a few episodes of the Clone Wars where he is trained in terrorism 101 by Anakin to run an anti-confederacy insurgency.

The ship from the Rebels show is in the Scarif fleet and their droid is trundling around in the background on Yavin.

Gold and Red leaders weren't CGI but rather were unused footage from A New Hope, with new background effects. Happened by accident, the director stumbled on reels of cut film that had never been digitized. Pretty neat attention to detail.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-rogue-one-got-its-hands-on-unseen-star-wars-f-1790250545

• Locked thread