Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I made this gif for a friend, GIP should enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I actually think it will be. I think TFA was a good movie, but it had the unfortunate task of having to make people hyped about Star Wars again, so it was a far more conservative film in many regards. I think we're going to get a film that allows a lot more variety in themes and ideas and I think it's going to work out nicely primary because it's a war movie referencing WWII and Vietnam, though devoid of the lame rear end attempt of some of the writers to insert current politics into the movie. Also as a die hard Godzilla nerd I really feel Gareth Edwards made a good Godzilla film so I trust him with Star Wars...regardless of the reshoot rumors...also thank God Josh Trank spazed out and will never touch Star Wars.

I am so hyped about the return of Darth Vadar even if it is only 5-10 minutes. It was cool seeing JEJ back doing Darth Vader on Star Wars Rebel (it's not bad, but just apply the rule of Clone Wars, so of it's really good and some of it early on is poo poo...also Grand Moff Tarkin is in it so plus +1 anyway) , his voice is a bit different, but still very much Darth. It was really cool of him to come back for a kids cartoon show. But even ignoring Darth I think the movie has a lot going for it in terms of setting, locales, HK47 esque droids (Also for Sherlock Holmes fans go look up the v/a for HK), and more.

I 100% agree with this logic.

I think reactions to the rumored reshoots were over reactions by some. They are incredibly common so it's not a huge deal. The director getting fired, constant turnover in the writing staff or the director saying he's going to use the Alan Smithee pseudonym would be far greater indications of a poo poo movie.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Reviews of Rogue One are coming out today. Seems good so far, not ESB good but good.

Though I'll be quite honest. The film could be just 120 minutes of the Rebellion preflighting and revving up X-Wings and I'd still watch it happily in theaters a half a dozen times.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Movie was legit and awesome. Really not sure what loving movie the New Yorker guy watched but holy poo poo.

More please.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Genocide Tendency posted:

also an ending that will bring a tear to the eye of GIP.

I remember thinking the same thing at the end, :lol:

The Tarkin CGI was weird at first but it grew on me quickly. I was amazed at how well done it was.

Also seeing literally 90% of the Rebels getting waxed at the end of the movie was worth it because it showed Disney is willing to let this franchise be a little dark and acknowledge the War in the title.

Got drat, this movie was awesome.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Godholio posted:

It was good. I don't care if it's derivative of a beloved movie that came out 40 years ago and had to lean heavily to reestablish that these movies can be better than the garbage spewed in the late 90s/early 00s.

:same:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Bolow posted:

You see the back of Antilles's when one of the Senators calls out for him

Also loving EA hop to it and make a goddamn X-Wing Alliance game worth a poo poo for fucks sake.

Wrong Antilles. They're talking about the Captain Antilles who commands Tantive IV.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Also I'm super gay for X-Wings and those space battles.

This. Seriously, if that scramble of the X-Wing on Yavin doesn't get you rock hard, I don't know what will.

Waiting at a bar to go see it again in an hour.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I got chills a handful of times I'm such a child

"squadron up" :dong:

So no one else disliked the CGI faces? Don't get me wrong the tech is amazing but you can still easily tell and bleh.

Also that was Leia's dad right? I recognized the dude from episode 3 that adopts her

I thought even though I could tell it was CGI, it was still super well done and not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. Leia's was the only one that was a little cringey but I'd say it's only cause she was smiling even though a poo poo ton of people just got killed 20 feet away from her.

And yes, Jimmy Smits is leia's adopted dad, Bail Organa.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 17, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Also grats to the U-Wing for achieving :krad: space ship status.

Almost wanna buy the lego version. The door gunner and them dumping another squad into the battle was pretty loving awesome.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Saw it a second time, still just as awesome.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/rrrroux/status/810852734647881728

The only thing that annoys me more than "WHAT ARE FEMALE LEADS AND COLOREDS DOING IN MY STAR WARS?!?" shitheads is "Two same sex characters have good buddy chemistry together? GAY MARRIAGE CANNON CONFIRMED!"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

To be fair I assumed they were a couple.

Fair enough. I mean, if Disney or Edwards came right out and said they were, I'd be cool with the idea (not that I'm the arbiter of what's cool with SW). I just get annoyed when people shoehorn their ideas into the story for whatever reason.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Pesticide20 posted:

How mad were you when people shipped Poe and Finn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJLDZHE6bRE

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Me too.

I hope they never say anything about it. That's how you do diversity in media. The characters could incidentally be a couple without them saying anything about it.

Of course, someone will probably confirm it in order to fall over themselves to hit some diversity checkbox and it'll be in a BuzzFeed listicle on the best science fiction LGBT couples :cripes:

That's exactly how I feel about it, I just phrased it poorly.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Takai didn't like it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154

I didn't take any issue with it but I completely get what he's annoyed about.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 20, 2016

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Jarmak posted:

I disagree, doing the Vader scene as is with the heroes would be too much of a surprise carpet-pulling-out-from-under-you death to fit in the tone of Star Wars, which means they would have had to slow that sequence down and add drama to it.... which I think would have ruined a big part of what made that scene awesome.

Agreed. Aside from that one guy making GBS threads his pants at the door, the rest of the Rebels all start shooting at Vader even though they all know it's likely a moot point (and that it's merely a delaying action) just to ensure the plans get the extra few seconds they need to board Tantive IV. Having the heroes there would slow it down way too much to get that urgency across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Unless Vader just murdered them all the same. I mean White hats sure, but imagine if he just flipped Donnie Yen in the air and then sabered him.

I meant if they had been there, it still would have slown things down. I doubt you'd see the principal cast get wiped out within seconds without taking a few extra seconds to show "oh no! Chirrut's dead!"

With that scene, you know that Rebel is dead and things continue to move quickly. Otherwise if it was Chirrut or Jyn getting wasted you'd end up getting something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq-catM6hAg

Which would unnecessarily slow things down for that scene.

• Locked thread