Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Godholio posted:

It was good. I don't care if it's derivative of a beloved movie that came out 40 years ago and had to lean heavily to reestablish that these movies can be better than the garbage spewed in the late 90s/early 00s.

also, :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Spoilers are go I suppose.

Holy poo poo what a movie. Had chills at the end.

Also I'm super gay for X-Wings and those space battles.

You should probably throw a spoiler warning in the thread title

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 17, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

:lol: I'd forgotten about that. The new material definitely gives certain lines in the original trilogy a new subtext. Leia telling Vader to his face that she's riding a consular ship on a diplomatic mission, with all the apparent sincerity of a suspect on COPS insisting that the fifty five pounds of weed in her trunk are for legal, personal consumption. No wonder he's pissed.

Obi Wan telling Luke that Darth Vader killed his father, leaving out the part about having dismembered him.

"Here's your father's light saber. He killed two dozen children with it, and then I took it off his body when I left him to burn to death. He would have wanted you to have it."

The second part at least was intended/ part of the original back story

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Goddammit Disney where's my 4k Blu-ray force awakens?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Fair enough. I mean, if Disney or Edwards came right out and said they were, I'd be cool with the idea (not that I'm the arbiter of what's cool with SW). I just get annoyed when people shoehorn their ideas into the story for whatever reason.

I didn't read the relationship that way but I can see it now that it's mentioned.

Having people be gay in movies and not having it be a plot point or some sort of big announcement is kind of a big deal and good thing.

edit: Still not sure they were actually supposed to be gay, just saying I can see the arguement people are making for it

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I hope they never say anything about it, because I hope Hollywood could portray two men with a decades-long friendship and complex emotional life without everyone jumping to the explanation "they must be Confirmed Bachelors, by which I mean they must be loving each other."

Honestly the "old sage/wizard and his erstwhile protector that share love-like bond" is kind of a fantasy trope and I thought that's what they were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TCD posted:

I think the show needed this. The end just didn't feel... I dunno, it felt off. Also I felt like Forest Whitaker's character, Jyn, and the Captain guy just taking their respective blasts seemed wrong to me for their characters. Sure, it's showing characters coming to peace with their death after passing on what they thought they had to pass on, but it would have been brutually awesome to see these characters, fighting, fighting, and fighting thinking that they finally made it only to get Vader'd and to remember why Vader was so feared vs him just slashing a bunch of red shirts.

Also K-2 was loving awesome.

I disagree, doing the Vader scene as is with the heroes would be too much of a surprise carpet-pulling-out-from-under-you death to fit in the tone of Star Wars, which means they would have had to slow that sequence down and add drama to it.... which I think would have ruined a big part of what made that scene awesome.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 21, 2016

• Locked thread