Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Higsian posted:

You should keep reading past the hunter-gather point as I drop the point very quickly because I don't give a poo poo about it and only address it because the post I was replying to asks specifically what existed before work for pay.

Far left is a bullshit point. From the OP I made it very clear that left-right is a continuum and that leftism comes in many forms. The problem with the "left" in America is that a lot of it is not left at all. This is not a left factional argument like I'm some trot arguing against an anarcho-syndicalism. I very specifically avoided giving specific answers because that is a problem in the left. In fact it's probably a companion problem to centrism; the left is too busy arguing specifics within the struggle while the centre is busy missing the struggle entirely. The problem I'm addressing here is not that the left can't agree on specific answers, but that the centre cannot contain answers. When right-left is a question of people having control over their own lives what the gently caress would an actual middle position look like? How can we restrict power to the few while also giving power to everyone? It doesn't work and it's why the actual centre we have doesn't work along those lines. It believes that power should be in the hands of the elite, just like the right. The centre is essentially the right with a dash of sympathy. It's the mugger that gives your license back to you because they know it's a pain to replace it.

The solution is to focus on empowerment. To actually join the left in attacking and dismantling the barriers to power erected by the right. And abandoning the false choice offered by centrism. The left needs to come together and pull to the loving left, actually work together to empower people. We can quibble over specifics when we're no longer under the threat of losing it all to overly-entrenched power. Grab whatever part of the line is closest to you or prettiest to you and pull. I'm not going to give you specifics here because specifics are much less important than the essential argument and also because that's a massive quagmire as anyone who knows anything about leftist politics is well aware. I have specific ideas like anyone else who thinks enough about politics, I'm not just talking out my rear end about solutions that I don't even think exist, but I'm not arrogant enough to believe I have the answers so I don't want the central point of the OP to be derailed by people attacking any and all specifics I provide. Which they would. You know they would.

One problem - you don't understand what democracy is and seem stuck at a 4th grade level where you think it's individual freedom and empowerment and 'having a say' or whatever when really the best case scenario is that no one (including you) is happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Still not getting the thesis of the thread. Centrism is the only logical result of a functioning democracy.

The democrats don't somehow embody centrism and in-fact it's the bitter partisan rejection of centrist compromise that's characterized the last decade or two of disfunction thats lead us to where we are. The death of centrism is the problem.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Consistently "arriving" in the center requires a desire to do so. It's not automatically emergent from the rules of the system and requires a culture (and a voting public) that allows or encourages it.

The republican unwillingness to accept Obama's supreme court nominee is a perfect example of what it looks like when the governing "centrist" culture deteriorates. It takes more than the consitution and the laws to make the system work.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Rush Limbo posted:

Hegelian Dialectics postulates that the thesis and antithesis, when they come together, form synthesis and become stronger as a result.

What it doesn't propose is that you should skip that bit and just move into a milquetoast center position right from the get go because conflict and taking a position on anything is scary.

The former should be the goal of a functioning democracy, but Centrism is manifestly not that.

You don't skip to it but it needs to be recognized as a legitimate and desirable end.

The point is that the rules are written to encourage a healthy result but it turns out you can't write rules for everything. Power exists within the system to grind it to a halt and it's only discipline and culture that prevent this from getting used all the time.

That's eroding as voters encourage their representatives to put up walls that prevent compromise. This doesn't automatically make the country stronger.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It demonstrates the weakness of the system and invites correction.

Yes but a democratic system must represent what the people want to some extent. If they don't see the legitimacy of centrism as a desireable result the only way you can change the rules to encourage it is to weaken the democracy. And compromise is the only way democracy actually works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

were democracy actually predicated on everyone in the country without exception clapping their hands and believing in the transformative power of the truth being somewhere in the middle rather than unabashedly pushing to advance their causes by any legal means it'd boggle the imagination any democratic state coulda lasted this long, really. That's kind of an asinine way to run things, and certainly wasn't how people felt back when Congressmen were dueling each other and dishing out beatings on the house floor over causes they actually believed in and disagreed on.

it's almost like the democratic system has decayed in the US and what underpins the government now is some handshake agreements and social conventions shared by an insular, legally unfettered ruling class assumed to all pretty much already agree on everything they really value

First, it's interesting that your anecdotes date from the run-up to the civil war. Second it's very simple - government by the people requires a population that buys into the idea of compromise and is willing to accept 'centrism' as a result. Broad attacks against the idea of centrism are attacks against democracy.

Lastly the ruling class was soundly defeated in this election. Trump is populism and democratic success in a narrow sense.

• Locked thread