Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if people din't have to spend a lot of their time and energy doing work for pay they'd find something else to occupy their time. sitting around doing nothing gets real boring real fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also it's silly to make the simultaneous arguments "people want to feel in control of their own destiny" and "without some task imposed upon them people would naturally sit around doing nothing"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gio posted:

Wall-E, the new leftist utopia, apparently.

why do you believe that people would sit around doing nothing forever unless a taskmaster gives them a pupose

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Call Me Charlie posted:

Only problem with this thought is that people actually had to work to take care of themselves before the concept of work for pay. Like as much fun as it is to imagine that everybody would transform into a self-driven artist in the post-work/basic income world, most of the people would be deeply unhappy unless they also had strong family/community ties to occupy their time.

it's not hard to find or build community ties. like few people are going to discover their passion as a stained glass window maker or whatever but plenty of people are going to end up volunteering their time just to find something to do. like litter would be a thing of the past, the elderly wouldn't die alone and bored in nursing homes, every little league team would have two coaches for every player, public libraries would drown in free labor etc.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jBrereton posted:

Have you ever worked in care?

It's loving soul destroying.

yeah, my first job was in the laundry of a hospice and i also assisted the CNAs with menial tasks for dinner. tell me all about my own life experiences, friend :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Call Me Charlie posted:

Great. Now would you assist CNAs if you didn't earn any money while doing it? Would you kiss the wife on the forehead, wave goodbye to your kids and care for (whatever group) for no other reason than to help them out? How long would you do that before you decide 'eh, gently caress it. i'd rather just drink a beer and watch some netflix'? What's the bare minimum you'd have to give back to society before you felt like you had given enough?

not every day, but working there plenty of volunteer groups, church groups, youth groups like boy scouts etc. came through to spend time with the residents, especially around the holidays. they'd probably do so even more if they didn't have to spend so much time just working to survive

i mean i get it, you're cynical and you have a dim view of humanity and you don't like that i disagree with you but you're going to have to try harder than that to demonstrate that given nothing better to do people would just spend 12 hours a day or whatever drinking alcohol and watching tv. generally people do that because they're tired from working and don't have the time to do anything more active. people's capacity for leisure isn't infinite

• Locked thread