Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Ocrassus posted:

I kinda sorta agree. I think my problem is with the 'we want jobs' thing. Short of luddism, it is not going to happen in the long term. The best case scenario is for worker cooperatives to own the means of production for most vital goods, with federal oversight to ensure that nobody is getting denied things by these councils because they don't subscribe to the correct religion or whatever (something that I could definitely see happening). This ensures power is divested to the people in a meaningful way. We really need to kick the whole 'dignity of work' thing out of our society, it has no place anymore.
Yeah I don't agree with this at all. Work gives people purpose, something to take pride in, solidarity with other workers, a sense of community.

This is my main gripe with the basic wage. It devalues work. I mean, modern work is without a doubt exploitive, dehumanizing, and alienating, but a perpetual class of basic wagers floating through society without a purpose other than consumption sounds pretty dystopian to me. And I don't buy the whole "time to make art" poo poo. People will sit on their fat asses and do nothing.

Workers cooperatives are neat-o and all but it's not going to solve the problem of modernism's slow march toward grinding every bit of humanity out of us.

Gio fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how you're so detached from poor people and how much they suffer just to make it from day to day that giving them 15$ an hour automatically means that they'll be lazy instead of oh, say, being able to afford the homes they're in, being able to feed their children, being able to afford the medicine or insurance they're being hosed by and not having to work three shifts a day just to make sure they can survive.

basic wage != living wage

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Or maybe I'm loving wrong. I meant to say "basic income".

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

edit != quote

Gio fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 12, 2016

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

a job is part of an identity but things like family and religion usually play a bigger part here in America
And family expectations in any culture are that you are able to provide for said family vis-a-vis work, whether it's subsisting off of some dirt plot or working min. wage at Walmart. Some jobs provide more dignity than others, both in dollars and cents and a sense of fulfillment and pride and purpose, but ultimately work is a fundamental source we derive these things from.

Everything goes hand-in-hand, there are no absolutes.

Gio fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 12, 2016

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

With regards to the topic and related to what I've been saying--

I wholeheartedly agree. People's sense of dillusionment is the feeling they have no control over their own destinies, over their own work, so I am all for any efforts to disperse power from the oligarchs. So yeah, people do want jobs--good ones that empower them, that give them a feeling of control over their own destinies.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Right, so how do you do this? Like, if those jobs literally don't exist or it's cheaper/more efficient to outsource or automate them then how do you create this sense of empowerment? If you're creating good jobs through subsidies or protectionism then you are for all intents and purposes pushing more power onto employers, who are now employing people only because they absolutely have to. You're just talking about a form of welfare where people are now reliant on government assistance for their continued employment status.

I honestly don't know. I know the problem but I can't pin a solution.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Before the invention of work for pay humans were crippled by a sense of disempowerment and since we invented it everyone's been really happy.
Ok, I'm talking about "work" as in "fulfilling a useful role in society," not specifically wage labor, in reference to basic income as a solution to decreased labor force participation and rising inequality caused by automation.

I never said working at Walmart was empowering, but for many I'm sure it's at least slightly better than being unemployed.

But whatever, keep putting words in my mouth.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Now ask yourself why
Because there are no positives to lovely wage labor, only perpetual misery under the thumb of capitalist overlords.

gently caress, thanks.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Wall-E, the new leftist utopia, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Also why do you think sitting around doing nothing is worse than working until you die?

Isn't the whole supposed goal of work that you do it for a while so you can later sit around and do nothing?

I think it's better just based on personal experience. I'm sure many agree and some disagree, the latter of whom would do nothing in the future automated volunteer utopia.

Main Paineframe posted:

The basic assumption inherent in your position is that working at Wal-Mart qualifies as "fulfilling a useful role in society", because you're assuming that any work that people get paid for is necessarily useful to society (and vice versa). What about volunteering at a homeless shelter? It's not a job, and people don't get paid for it - does that mean it's less useful to society than stocking the shelves at Wal-Mart?

Nope, not at all.

• Locked thread