Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Talmonis posted:

Wage slavery isn't a goal of centrists. Education of the populace leads to a better world for all of us, and is pretty universally revered among centrists I've met.

Were this actually true, they would cease to be centrists, what with that goal being all of a wet fart when you take into account the politics of centrists and how efficient they are at bringing this utopia about.

"Why yes, I do revere education, however not enough to actually support a position that brings it to the greatest amount of people. You could say my interest is strictly... academic :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The idea that Work is a Moral Good is a very Victorian idea, and was criticized by many people who saw the effects of this (unfettered capitalism, exploitation of labour, literal workhouses to survive etc.) quite a bit.

Here are two prominent critiques of this ideal:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/lafargue/1883/lazy/
http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html

Then the idea that Work is Moral gained a large resurgence because of two devastating wars that ravaged the world and Europe in particular and the necessary rebuilding of society after them were taken as an inherently good thing rather than it being for a specific, actual good i.e. we need poo poo to survive.

It's time to rethink this idea and throw it in the garbage of history.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

boner confessor posted:

why do you believe that people would sit around doing nothing forever unless a taskmaster gives them a pupose

Much like Rossum's Universal Robots, poors have no will of their own and need to be given a task by their owners or they will not do anything because how can they?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hegelian Dialectics postulates that the thesis and antithesis, when they come together, form synthesis and become stronger as a result.

What it doesn't propose is that you should skip that bit and just move into a milquetoast center position right from the get go because conflict and taking a position on anything is scary.

The former should be the goal of a functioning democracy, but Centrism is manifestly not that.

• Locked thread