Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

jerking off to the idea of citizens of the bad state/with the bad politics being massacred for it by the awesome technological powerrrrrrr of the US military is a D&D tradition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

I think it's cool there are a bunch of people here who would murder Californians if given the opportunity because their state is rich and successful and disagrees with them politically.

There's hardly a better reason to commit murder.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
What's that? You pay enough taxes to keep public services funded and have a rich inclusive society while I live in a poo poo heap of my own making? You sir, are a monster deserving death.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

DeusExMachinima posted:

loving seriously. Do any of you have any idea how much "flyover country" that composes most of the military would love to dunk all over those snooty know-it-all deep blue staters? Oh my god the Marine Corps is coming to San Francisco to stop us from leaving! Someone call out the 1st Poetry Slam Division! Get the Mobile App Command on the horn!

Hey guys we've been spending the last ~15 years walking into IEDs made by retarded goat fuckers and getting our dicks blown off lets try our hand at urban warfare in an industrial metropolis

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

drilldo squirt posted:

What's that? You pay enough taxes to keep public services funded and have a rich inclusive society while I live in a poo poo heap of my own making? You sir, are a monster deserving death.

Not sure that's the reason for the wealth disparity between the coasts and the rest of the US tbh.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

drilldo squirt posted:

I think it's cool there are a bunch of people here who would murder Californians if given the opportunity because their state is rich and successful and disagrees with them politically.

San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York City are essentially tumors. They exist through the concentration of wealth brought about by being favored by the 1% and by the subsequent flow of rent toward them.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
LOL if you think the 1% are going to be anywhere near any military pacification operation that happens in this scenario. The military would just be gunning down the urban poor and any other sad poo poo in the immediate area.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

SickZip posted:

San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York City are essentially tumors. They exist through the concentration of wealth brought about by being favored by the 1% and by the subsequent flow of rent toward them.

Maybe we run things better with public investment.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
No, I'm pretty sure people live in New York and Chicago and similar because of the astonishingly low cost of living and great climate, particularly in the winter. :v:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm from Indianapolis, and I say kill 'em all!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm glad you brought this up , the short version is that I've lost hope that everybody can have it their way.

The problem is, and also the reason it's hard to take a live-and-let-live position on this is that your Californian cancer has spread via the Supreme Court and social media to all 50 states. The Tenth Amendment is effectively not a thing anymore. Different states having different policies is no longer acceptable.

From that perspective the Trump Administration is a loving godsend. At the bare minimum I get to watch Riot police crack some Bash the fash types skulls over the internet, and I get to dream about the possibility of all-out Civil War. As horrible as that is, it's better than what I expected for america.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 14, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'm glad you brought this up , the short version is that I've lost hope that everybody can have it their way.

The problem is, and also the reason it's hard to take a live-and-let-live position on this is that your Californian cancer has spread via the Supreme Court and social media to all 50 states. The Tenth Amendment is effectively not a thing anymore. Different states having different policies is no longer acceptable.

From that perspective the Trump Administration is a loving godsend. At the bare minimum I get to watch Riot police crack some Bash the fash types skulls over the internet, and I get to dream about the possibility of all-out Civil War.

Hell, if civil unrest doesn't give you global warming will. Enjoy that drought and sea level rise!

I think enjoying the state suppressing people's rights is incredibly un-American and a betrayal of everything the founding fathers stood for.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
If you don't like protests and minority rights move to China or Russia. They got you covered.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

drilldo squirt posted:

I think enjoying the state suppressing people's rights is incredibly un-American and a betrayal of everything the founding fathers stood for.

No, it's sadly exactly in line with what they stood for. Don't ancestor worship, you'll always be disappointed when you realize how awful everyone is.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I was going to say, I can't think of a founding father that became president who didn't lead an army to crush revolts and/or occupy territory.

Adams Maybe?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

rkajdi posted:

No, it's sadly exactly in line with what they stood for. Don't ancestor worship, you'll always be disappointed when you realize how awful everyone is.

I'm talking about today's America, Jesus, you people are pedantic.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
But yeah anyway mat, the idea you get off on your daddy figure punishing your political opponents explains very succinctly why you suck. But can you explain why you and yours like to post incredibly offensive things out of nowhere? Are you scared of continuing debate or are you just trying to feel like a big man?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

drilldo squirt posted:

I know we all just pretend slavery wasn't a thing for the purpose of conversations like this, but even ignoring that particular omission, do you know anything about the conditions that lead to the drafting of the current American constitution?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

drilldo squirt posted:

Are you scared of continuing debate or are you just trying to feel like a big man?

Again, thanks for asking Drilldo, you are good at this :) Continuing debate is hard with the one-two punch of "gently caress off BernieBro/Racist/Sexist" and [User was Probated for this post]. I dont mind the scorn one bit, i love tal[i]king to people that oppose me.

Just on a national level we dont have a unified culture holding us together and giving direction to public policy. Just look at how only mere minutes ago in this very thread you suggested i would be more at home in another country and that the america we all were talking about wasnt the america you had in mind.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Answer to OP's question: Doesn't matter, because it won't. The same mechanisms people used to laugh at those opposing the government before Trump got elected are in play after Trump got elected.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

From that perspective the Trump Administration is a loving godsend. At the bare minimum I get to watch Riot police crack some Bash the fash types skulls over the internet, and I get to dream about the possibility of all-out Civil War. As horrible as that is, it's better than what I expected for america.

Polite note to American readers of this thread: Read what I just quoted. Understand that the person who typed out the above believes sincerely in what they said. They want a bloody purge of America that targets everyone who disagrees with them. They aren't complaining about their rights being endangered, the very existence of people who disagree with them is inexcusable to them. To them, everyone but people like they are soft and weak and need to be beaten into submission for that sin. They want a police state. They want violence in the streets, directed at those who cannot defend themselves. They want to see your friends and families gunned down, and they'll laugh if they get their wish. And understand that what you're about to get is a government that empowers these people.

Oh, they may talk about rights and somesuch, but their dreams are a fantasy of an iron fist coming down on those they hate, and nothing else matters. If you are thinking of them as allies in a struggle against the rich and powerful, don't. They'll never see you as an ally, just a tool to be used and discarded.

As for Trump, he's a bog standard petty dictator who was just given the reigns of your country. He'll break things you want broken, and you'll be happy. Then he'll start breaking things you care about, and it'll be too late to complain. Maybe you'll bend the knee regardless and accept anything that happens, anything whatsoever, as long as you are safe. That can work, for a while, especially if you're part of the elite. :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Morbus posted:

Hey guys we've been spending the last ~15 years walking into IEDs made by retarded goat fuckers and getting our dicks blown off lets try our hand at urban warfare in an industrial metropolis

What I posted was in response to the idea that California would roll up and claim Pendleton. :lol: And TBH I trust goat fuckers to be way more hardcore than kids who had to take the rest of the school week off after Trump won or Silicon Valley dudes who can't shut the gently caress up about the singularity.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Again, thanks for asking Drilldo, you are good at this :) Continuing debate is hard with the one-two punch of "gently caress off BernieBro/Racist/Sexist" and [User was Probated for this post]. I dont mind the scorn one bit, i love tal[i]king to people that oppose me.

Just on a national level we dont have a unified culture holding us together and giving direction to public policy. Just look at how only mere minutes ago in this very thread you suggested i would be more at home in another country and that the america we all were talking about wasnt the america you had in mind.

You know what I meant, respond to that please. Though I'm not surprised you are trying this nonsense.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I was going to say, I can't think of a founding father that became president who didn't lead an army to crush revolts and/or occupy territory.

Adams Maybe?

Jefferson was a pussy and never led an army in the field I don't think. Beat he did was retreat from the British as governor of Virginia.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shelling San Francisco is the only reasoning I would support for reactivating a couple of the Iowas.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gail Wynand posted:

I know, it's a crazy idea, Clancy bullshit, not going to happen, etc.

But let's all indulge our inner Clancy for a minute. How would it work, just from a mechanical perspective? The country is too decentralized to allow a sufficiently small group of plotters to seize all the centers of power.

In my opinion an attempted coup would result in a 1991 Soviet Union style scenario that would lead to the breakup of the United States. Which is why you see Obama et al going to lengths to respect the process, they're not stupid.

Getting back to the original question the real answer is it would be just along the lines of the Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories. And about as likely.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Morbus posted:

Behold, your battle hardened army. Basically the same as hardcore Mujahadeen, these folks. #calexit is as good as done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ex2rVOUWs&t=45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWFetkAqFNs&t=282s

(I've skipped to the good parts)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 15, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Behold, your battle hardened army. Basically the same as hardcore Mujahadeen, these folks. #calexit is as good as done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ex2rVOUWs&t=45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWFetkAqFNs&t=282s

(I've skipped to the good parts)
Lmbo at mat trying to change the subject because he a weak minded little baby man.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Like let's get real real for a second. Think about the sort of person who'd be most enthusiastic about joining your revolution. You wouldn't even have to go fight them. Let them get guns and sit back as they purge each other because one faction favored paying out cash reparations to blacks tomorrow and the other side sees cash payments as evidence of capitalist collusion. The average Joe would beg you to roll tanks in to end it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
While fractious, Bay Area folks tend to bond together pretty quickly.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

DeusExMachinima posted:

Like let's get real real for a second. Think about the sort of person who'd be most enthusiastic about joining your revolution. You wouldn't even have to go fight them. Let them get guns and sit back as they purge each other because one faction favored paying out cash reparations to blacks tomorrow and the other side sees cash payments as evidence of capitalist collusion. The average Joe would beg you to roll tanks in to end it.

Your disparaging of your opponents instead of there ideals is a sign of a weak mind.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

*their

It all comes down to whether you can be as hard as the Muj, have the local community's support, and not violently implode on yourselves. I don't see it.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 15, 2016

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I know you guys are having fun fantasizing about how ~Tuff country folk~ would totally show those liberals, but you realize that in any scenario where it becomes a realistic possibility, you're going to be facing ordinary people, not Silicon Valley Developer bros. A hypothetical CA secessionist army would probably be made up primarily of young latinos, not Bay Area stereotypes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DeusExMachinima posted:

*their

It all comes down to whether you can be as hard as the Muj, have the local community's support, and not violently implode on yourselves. I don't see it.

Not really. It comes down to if you have Raytheon in your backyard and give a poo poo about bombing hillbillies. I don't see hesitating being a problem for folks on that one. Christ, I bet half the military would pay *us* for the privilege. The problem with dumb fucks talking about their militia and their gun collection and how they'd do in a fight is it's all dick waving overcompensation bullshit. That's not how real wars are fought today. Soldiers exist to hold ground and advance where civilian life is a concern. Otherwise you just loving level everything and call it a day. If there was a "Civil War" today, it'd be a bunch of hicks having their water supplies dusted and their diabetes medication no longer shipped out and they'd be dead inside a week because they'd have stress eaten their 6 month supply of dehydrated ration packs and that'd be that.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Random entertaining thought: If New York Seceded, would Trump then cease to be an American citizen?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

themrguy posted:

I know you guys are having fun fantasizing about how ~Tuff country folk~ would totally show those liberals, but you realize that in any scenario where it becomes a realistic possibility, you're going to be facing ordinary people, not Silicon Valley Developer bros. A hypothetical CA secessionist army would probably be made up primarily of young latinos, not Bay Area stereotypes.

This whole idea is the dumbest poo poo imaginable but the people saying this poo poo in particular are also hilariously pathetic.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Mulva posted:

Not really. It comes down to if you have Raytheon in your backyard and give a poo poo about bombing hillbillies. I don't see hesitating being a problem for folks on that one. Christ, I bet half the military would pay *us* for the privilege. The problem with dumb fucks talking about their militia and their gun collection and how they'd do in a fight is it's all dick waving overcompensation bullshit. That's not how real wars are fought today. Soldiers exist to hold ground and advance where civilian life is a concern. Otherwise you just loving level everything and call it a day. If there was a "Civil War" today, it'd be a bunch of hicks having their water supplies dusted and their diabetes medication no longer shipped out and they'd be dead inside a week because they'd have stress eaten their 6 month supply of dehydrated ration packs and that'd be that.

I didn't say anything about militias, I'm sure it'd all be the army doing the wrecking. But I guess this "no YOU'LL get bombed" is the liberal version of believing the true patriots in the military will rise up to destroy the FEMA camps when the time comes.

themrguy posted:

Most Californians hate Trump but also understand what a world of poo poo a civil war would be. And even if they won, the navy would just blockade the ports and the army would probably say gently caress it and hold and/or Highway of Death-ify the southern border crossings no matter what to completely cut the state off until it played ball. The glorious revolution would be disproportionately represented by the sort of person unable to see that's how things would play out, not salt-of-the-earth working dudes, and that's the kind of person who'll also purge you because you said you liked Trotsky more than Lenin.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

This is dumb. You can only carpet bomb with the support of the rest of the country. If you massacre civilians in california, the outrage mobilizes rebel elements in the other states. Putting down a civil war would have to be done on the ground with soldiers, and done quickly before the rest of the county lose stomach for it.

Also mid east goat herders aren't born any tougher then anybody else. The have become hardened thru decades of war, and american civilians would undergo a similar process as a war dragged on.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I didn't say anything about militias, I'm sure it'd all be the army doing the wrecking. But I guess this "no YOU'LL get bombed" is the liberal version of believing the true patriots in the military will rise up to destroy the FEMA camps when the time comes.

You did talk about the opposition being made up of people that want......what was it? Ah, "cash reparations to blacks tomorrow and the other side sees cash payments as evidence of capitalist collusion". The cousin loving redneck is their hypothetical cousin who makes up like 80% of California by landmass if not by population. Which is basically every state. Whole lot of red, pockets of deep blue.

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

This is dumb. You can only carpet bomb with the support of the rest of the country.

You absolutely can randomly bomb folks without the support of the entire country, as is evidenced by everyone we've ever bombed.

quote:

Putting down a civil war would have to be done on the ground with soldiers, and done quickly before the rest of the county lose stomach for it.

No, you can just destroy everything they need to survive and play them up as wackos and losers and wait for them to die. All you need to do is control the media message. The counter-point to both sides having to agree to stop a civil war is that both sides have to agree there is one in the first place. If you are small and ineffectual, you are just random losers. Maybe cultists at best. They might just call you a violent SovCit flash mob if you are really incompetent at it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Helsing posted:

The most sinister thing that the Republicans have probably entered office planning to do is to appoint justices, change finance laws, and enable voter suppression measures that will help their party hold onto power for longer without expanding beyond its shrinking base of white support. Again, chances are this is less of a master-plan and more a series of improvised or reactive responses to a deteriorating situation. This might become even more urgent if their policy agenda blows up in their face, as it's likely to do. The result wouldn't be a coup or takeover, it'd just be a severe weakening of already existing institutions and maybe the creation of some new anti-democratic institutions.

This kind of death by a thousand cuts scenario seems far more likely than a violent seizure of power.

Check out what the NC GOP did all day today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gail Wynand posted:

The CIA is not what it used to be in terms of subtle covert action but it is waaaay more than it used to be in terms of actual kinetic warfare.

Anyway, here's another point. If people in the CIA and military really believe that Putin has installed Trump in power aren't they honor bound to try to coup him?
Or they could just start leaking like a sieve about how they have direct evidence of Putin running the smear campaign/email leaks against Hilary and trust Congress to do their job (lol they'll have to blackmail a significant number of them first).

• Locked thread