Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Main Paineframe posted:

In order to fire people who aren't politically reliable, he has to be able to reliably identify people who aren't politically reliable, and the lower you go the more difficult this gets, especially when you're seen as hostile towards the agency or undermining the agency. And arrests? It's not like Trump has a folder full of blackmail material on intelligence officials, and he can't very well order them to investigate themselves.

The problem with the "debilitating leaks" scenario is that it assumes there's anything they could leak that could damage his legitimacy any more than the stuff he already does openly with no attempt to hide it. Unless they catch him personally murdering someone on video, I don't think anything would really stick - and even then, he might get away with it depending on the skin color and socioeconomic status of the victim.

Donald Trump isn't going to destroy our democracy. He doesn't need to. He's not going to undermine the military or the intel agencies, because they're not a serious threat to him - they might push back against specific policies, but they won't take overt action against his entire presidency.

Yeah, this is about where I'm at. At most, I could see a series of Snowden-style whistle-blowers from individuals in the intelligence community that get promptly snatched and buried in the criminal justice system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
LOL if you think the 1% are going to be anywhere near any military pacification operation that happens in this scenario. The military would just be gunning down the urban poor and any other sad poo poo in the immediate area.

• Locked thread