Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
On one hand, Jeff Fisher has always beaten up the Seahawks. On the other hand, he's kept the Rams at the bottom of the west every year... No idea how I feel about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bahahaha

quote:

Rams named special teams coordinator John Fassel interim head coach.

The son of Jim, John has been the Rams' third-unit coordinator for the entirety of the Jeff Fisher era. He won't be a candidate for the permanent position, and isn't exactly distinguished as a special teamer. With the Seahawks, 49ers and Cardinals on tap, Fassel will need to beat San Francisco if he wants his Wikipedia to say he's won an NFL game.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FizFashizzle posted:

RIP Jeff Fisher

You went to the superbowl once, led a very good Titans team for a number of years, and were the worst to carry an nfl franchise out of salary cap hell.

But the game passed you by, and instead of going quietly into the night you coasted by on reputation for as long as you could.

Your accomplishments, however, will be forgotten. You'll be remembered as a talentless hack, a tremendous failure, a relic of an era past, a dirty piece of poo poo, and a walking joke.

congrats

When he left the Titans, more dumb football fans jerked off to the possibility of this potato-shaped fake tough guy troglodyte taking over their team than there are grains of sand on all of the beaches in the world. When the Rams "won" the bidding war for his services, a million idiots rejoiced that every idiot's stereotype of a good football coach was going to Make St Louis Great Again. Instead he made the team suck out loud in LA and got dunked on by everyone on the way out.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I mean, it figures, just when I started to really learn to enjoy Jeff Fisher.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

whypick1 posted:

Harbaugh?

Cowher

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/808409994827853824

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I mean, the Rams special teams has been the only unit consistently worth a poo poo during the Fisher era, so why not!

FO has them as the #2 ranked ST.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rotoworlds been on fire. Their blurb on Fisher's firing is a chaos dunk:

Rotoworld posted:

Farce over: Rams finally end Jeff Fisher era
Rams fired coach Jeff Fisher.
In a cruel, ironic twist for the NFL's pre-eminent loser, the firing comes three days before he was set to pass Dan Reeves for the most coaching losses in league history. Fisher is so inept he can't even claim the record that's been his destiny for over a decade. The firing is perhaps the most justified of the modern era. Fisher has had five years to turn around a laughingstock franchise, but instead made it an even bigger joke. Fisher's team had truly made zero progress on his first year in 2012. A wanton waster of draft picks and capital, Fisher is clueless on Sundays, fundamentally misunderstanding offense and overseeing a cavalcade of idiotic penalties. Fisher doesn't make adjustments, aside from usually dialing up more personal fouls in the second half. Try as he may, he never came close to "cleaning up" his chronic, myriad, inexcusable mistakes. No coach, in any sport anywhere in the world, makes more excuses. Fisher has almost certainly coached his final NFL game.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I mean, the Rams special teams has been the only unit consistently worth a poo poo during the Fisher era, so why not!

I wonder how much of that is their God-tier punter?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Huh, he had the talent to make Tayvon Austin a good return man, maybe he has what it takes to unbust Gurley and elevate Goff to "better than Case Keenum".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Here is my favorite Jeff Fisher moment. When Courtland Finnegan tricked a rookie into losing the game for them. :golfclap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grH4Dh82b8E

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Congrats Rams fans!

gently caress that dirty garbage coach.

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

When he left the Titans, more dumb football fans jerked off to the possibility of this potato-shaped fake tough guy troglodyte taking over their team than there are grains of sand on all of the beaches in the world. When the Rams "won" the bidding war for his services, a million idiots rejoiced that every idiot's stereotype of a good football coach was going to Make St Louis Great Again. Instead he made the team suck out loud in LA and got dunked on by everyone on the way out.

Did Jeff Fisher run over your dog?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If I were the Rams and wanted to punish Jeff Fisher I would have made him finish the season imho

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it's really impressive when you look at it.

The Rams have the worst offense in football, but have spent insane draft capitol on offensive players:

'16: 1-1 QB Jared Goff
'15: 1-10 RB Todd Gurley
2-57 T Rob Hvenstein
'14: 1-2 T Greg Robinson
'13: 1-8 WR Tavon Austin
'12: 2-33 WR Brian Quick
2-50 RB Isaih Pead

And that's with inheriting a team with 1st/2nd round picks at TE, QB, and 2 tackles over the previous three years.

They threw an insane amount at that offense and all of it was poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Also, I am going to take this opportunity to say: gently caress Jeff Fisher, that motherfucking cheating rear end in a top hat. And his sidekick Greggggggg Williams, too.

Nov 6, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Here is my favorite Jeff Fisher moment. When Courtland Finnegan tricked a rookie into losing the game for them. :golfclap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grH4Dh82b8E

Fisher's great moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C6HiSOlquc

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Rams have never won a Super Bowl without Jeff Fisher on the sidelines. They will regret this.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Doltos posted:

Bwahahaha I was just coming here to post it. It's amazing. This whole afternoon has been amazing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Also, I am going to take this opportunity to say: gently caress Jeff Fisher, that motherfucking cheating rear end in a top hat. And his sidekick Greggggggg Williams, too.

:same:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

DariusLikewise posted:

There's a rumour that John Harbaugh is leaving Michigan to coach the Rams next season.

This is what I said in the pre-season predictions thread; I'm not sure I count as a reliable source for NFL rumours.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wonder who will hire Gregg Williams as DC next year, assuming the new coach doesn't.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

It's very obvious a Rams fan rotoworld employee has been sitting on that blurb for months now.

You can tell it was crafted with love.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jiff Fisher's career record against the Seahawks (including his time with the Titans) is 6-9. He's been denied the chance to get to 7-9 against them!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hirings like Jeff Fisher make me so disappointed. There's so many legitimately great football minds out there that will never break into the NFL due to cronyism and owners' penchants to hire 'proven' talent.

Owner: "I have a billion dollar franchise, who should run it?"

Worthwhile Applicant: "Hello owner. I'm a former player in this college, I coached as a grad assistant for a few years, got my break as a defensive coordinator, moved up to head coach in my FCS school, I led my division in every statistic, I have all these cool new ideas for football plays that are reinforced with analytical data and logic, and I'm really eager to prove myself as a coach so I'll put all my effort into making my team succeed."

Owner: "Hmm..."

Jeff Fisher: "i coached in a super bowl once"

Owner: "HIRED!"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Doltos posted:

Hirings like Jeff Fisher make me so disappointed. There's so many legitimately great football minds out there that will never break into the NFL due to cronyism and owners' penchants to hire 'proven' talent.

Owner: "I have a billion dollar franchise, who should run it?"

Worthwhile Applicant: "Hello owner. I'm a former player in this college, I coached as a grad assistant for a few years, got my break as a defensive coordinator, moved up to head coach in my FCS school, I led my division in every statistic, I have all these cool new ideas for football plays that are reinforced with analytical data and logic, and I'm really eager to prove myself as a coach so I'll put all my effort into making my team succeed."

Owner: "Hmm..."

Jeff Fisher: "i coached in a super bowl once"

Owner: "HIRED!"

Chip Kelly busting in the NFL probably caused 1,000 college coaches to lose their shot at getting an NFL job for the next 10 years.

"Well, we tried it and it didn't work, so guess we need to hire Brian Schottenheimer or something!"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

“However, this is the right time to make a change as our performance has not lived up to my or our fans’ expectations. We all are focused on improving as an organization and building a team that makes Los Angeles proud. Our mission is to celebrate a Super Bowl title with our fans in Los Angeles. Today is the first step to bringing us closer to that goal.”

I was too busy laughing at the Super Bowl thing to notice that last line, isn't that what you usually say when you hire the new guy instead of in the release where you fire the old one?

It's obviously correct of course, the first step in attempting to get better would be getting rid of Fisher.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos you're basically describing trestman and whelp

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sean10mm posted:

Chip Kelly busting in the NFL probably caused 1,000 college coaches to lose their shot at getting an NFL job for the next 10 years.

"Well, we tried it and it didn't work, so guess we need to hire Brian Schottenheimer or something!"

We said the same thing about Saban and Weis and Schiano and Spurrier, etc. The problem then is even those guys come from premier FBS schools who made their name by trotting out a ton of great recruits. Chip Kelly is a bit more unique I suppose as he came up to Oregon through a bunch of lovely football schools. On the other hand his style of offense has existed as a part of the WCO for years now.

I think any coach has the ability to suck, I just wish more of them got the chance to bust instead of going to the Jeff Fishers of the world every year. Thankfully last year there was a lot of new faces introduced but most of them came up as coordinators from old faces.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I really want the Rams to continue being total garbage but it's just about the funniest thing ever that Jeff Fisher fell just short of the all-time losing record. He lost at losing.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

corn on the cop posted:

ive never been so disappointed in a firing

Not an empty quote.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

ur in my world now posted:

I really want the Rams to continue being total garbage but it's just about the funniest thing ever that Jeff Fisher fell just short of the all-time losing record. He lost at losing.
I'm disappointed he didn't get the record, but also laughing really hard that he didn't.

It's the most Jeff Fisher fate possible.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Jeff Fisher does not deserve to have any record. Even an inauspicious one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jeff Fisher could get a job as an assistant coach somewhere. Then the head coach might need to take a medical leave (ala the Vikings this year), and he gets to coach 1 game and lose to get the record there. Don't lose hope!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grittybeard posted:

The Rams play on Thursday and haven't even decided who the interim coach is.

Honestly, the Rams somehow managed to make the decision to fire Jeff Fisher at the wrong time. Plus they could have just Lane Kiffined him after the game in Seattle which would be great.

Well maybe his players wont be dirty motherfuckers that injure us any more. That'd be a nice tradeoff for not getting him the loss record.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
its also really funny when you remember how much better the Rams currently are than the Browns

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Who or what is he gonna blame this on

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I still have faith he can break the record

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The organization has gone Hollywood and wants a newer, flashier coach with gimmick schemes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's not much I believe in on this crazy rock we live on, but I believe Jeff Fisher can find a way to lose once more.

• Locked thread