Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
https://twitter.com/thejackwang/status/808742683288039424

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shangri-Law School posted:

I've got it, Carroll to the Rams, Harbaugh to the Seahawks, Jeff Fisher to Michigan.

Hmm... what's Harbaugh's philosophy on offensive lines?

edit: since Carroll is under contract till 2019, the Rams would have to give up a bunch of draft picks, to which they have no good ones because of that dumb trade to get Jared Goff lol

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 13, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

shyduck posted:

A big reason Chip Kelly went 10-6 that first year was he had good players that weren't burnt out yet by his system. He then got rid of all the good players and the defense got burnt out from being on the field for all of time

Edit: I agree that he's not 1-15 bad but I think his Mr. Innovator days are over

But...he went 10-6 again his second year so that kinda negates your argument that they got burnt out. Now his personnel decisions were certainly questionable and I think were a big factor in the dropoff between years 2 and 3. I will also give you that he was very poor at making adjustments on offense to give his defense a break.

I just don't think either of those are reasons to think that Chip Kelly doesn't deserve more years with the 49ers and in the NFL. I have the feeling he learned a lot from his time spent with the Eagles and just has nothing to show for it because the 49ers are a talentless mess at nearly every position.

Edit: Was the roster the year before Kelly took over for the Eagles much different? Because it really doesn't matter if he inherited a talented roster if they couldn't perform well under their previous coach. That's actually a point in his favor, getting talented players to play to their potential.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 13, 2016

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It is the most loving LA thing in the world that the first two coaches their sports writers start talking to are the top 5 in the sport, college or pro.

Like it's not the NBA no one gives a poo poo what city they're in.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Jeff Fisher is going to go the Del Rio route and end up as a DC somewhere before being given another inevitable head coaching job. He's only 58 years old so you know he's going to be given another shot.

Rams job is going to go to Kyle Shanahan, Jim Bob Cooter, or David Shaw. Gruden or Harbaugh could also possibly fit since they'd have complete free reign but I just don't see how Gruden gives up his cushy as gently caress announcing job to coach again. Harbaugh might tho, I'm not sure how much that guy is in love with recruiting hours.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hey, if the Rams want a Seahawks-inspired heach coach, but can't get Pete Carroll, I know the perfect candidate!

Tom Cable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

seiferguy posted:

Hey, if the Rams want a Seahawks-inspired heach coach, but can't get Pete Carroll, I know the perfect candidate!

Tom Cable.
They can have Gus Bradley and they will be happy with it.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

seiferguy posted:

Tom Cable.

I hear Gus Bradley may be available soon!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Doltos posted:

Jeff Fisher is going to go the Del Rio route and end up as a DC somewhere before being given another inevitable head coaching job. He's only 58 years old so you know he's going to be given another shot.

Rams job is going to go to Kyle Shanahan, Jim Bob Cooter, or David Shaw. Gruden or Harbaugh could also possibly fit since they'd have complete free reign but I just don't see how Gruden gives up his cushy as gently caress announcing job to coach again. Harbaugh might tho, I'm not sure how much that guy is in love with recruiting hours.

Fisher has been a head coach for 22 years.

Are you sure he can go back to being second fiddle?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

if he doesnt become a DC he'll go to the booth for a while and make everyone forget about how poo poo a coach he was at the end, just like jon gruden.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

if he doesnt become a DC he'll go to the booth for a while and make everyone forget about how poo poo a coach he was at the end, just like jon gruden.

Jeff Fisher has zero personality and personally ruined the last season of Hard Knocks

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

Harbaugh might tho, I'm not sure how much that guy is in love with recruiting hours.

Harbaugh has had sleepovers with recruits, which seems...I don't know, icky? Questionable? But whatever, it makes me think he likes that part of the job.

Harbaugh will probably coach in the NFL again since he's a pile of competitive spite shaped in the form of a man, but I figure he wants to accomplish some poo poo at Michigan first.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

MrSargent posted:

But...he went 10-6 again his second year so that kinda negates your argument that they got burnt out. Now his personnel decisions were certainly questionable and I think were a big factor in the dropoff between years 2 and 3. I will also give you that he was very poor at making adjustments on offense to give his defense a break.

I just don't think either of those are reasons to think that Chip Kelly doesn't deserve more years with the 49ers and in the NFL. I have the feeling he learned a lot from his time spent with the Eagles and just has nothing to show for it because the 49ers are a talentless mess at nearly every position.

Edit: Was the roster the year before Kelly took over for the Eagles much different? Because it really doesn't matter if he inherited a talented roster if they couldn't perform well under their previous coach. That's actually a point in his favor, getting talented players to play to their potential.

Andy Reid's last year in Philly was a pretty big aberration in his time there. It was a really talented team that couldn't stay healthy at any position on the offensive side of the ball. The problem is that as a franchise they had become pretty stagnant since their Super Bowl appearance. They brought in Chip to take over a talented team and give the a boost to go to the next level. In stead Chip alienated all the talent on the roster, and left a lovely team in his wake.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

whypick1 posted:

If it was Bill Gates, yes. Allen's net worth isn't anything to sneeze at though.

http://www.chatsports.com/nfl/a/How-Much-Is-Each-NFL-Owner-Worth-19465

I would assume He is worth a lot more now that Vulcan has made a ton of money in real estate

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What do the Rams even have to offer him that the Seahawks don't have?

This didn't get nearly enough love (or any at all)

:golfclap:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Doltos posted:

That would be amazing. He's younger than Aaron Rodgers. Not saying he'd be bad, but it's so early.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Shangri-Law School posted:

That would be amazing. He's younger than Aaron Rodgers. Not saying he'd be bad, but it's so early.

also jim bob cooter is actually bad and terrible and nobody should even think about taking him from the lions imo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FizFashizzle posted:

:laffo: no loving way. Everyone loves Gruden. Fisher created a rift between the Rams and Eric Dickerson. The man has a toxic personality and won't contribute a thing in the booth.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Adun posted:

Jeff Fisher has zero personality and personally ruined the last season of Hard Knocks

I mean somehow no personality got this guy on the right a job

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What do the Rams even have to offer him that the Seahawks don't have?

A better quarterback.

Also Jeff Fisher has the talent for 7-11. That's what he should do next. Manage a 7-11. Finally reach a goal he could not as a coach.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Athanatos posted:

I mean somehow no personality got this guy on the right a job

Swapping tirico for this dingus is just inexcusable

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Chichevache posted:

:laffo: no loving way. Everyone loves Gruden. Fisher created a rift between the Rams and Eric Dickerson. The man has a toxic personality and won't contribute a thing in the booth.

You're right, he'll replace Skip Bayless and fight with Stephen A every morning

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chichevache posted:

Personality is super important.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

kiimo posted:

Personality is super important.

You got me :negative:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
FOX employed Brian loving Billick for multiple years so I can totally see them bringing in Fisher.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Doltos posted:

David Shaw is not leaving Stanford, c'mon

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Benny the Snake posted:

I thought he's considered persona non grata after he left USC deep in sanctions

Pete Carroll is one of the most beloved coaches in la sports history.

He's not going to the Rams though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chichevache posted:

He already did it in his gap year after Tennessee and was fine.

Unless I'm imagining that....

Also since he was on the competition committee with Rich McKay I imagine he'll be working with the Falcons in some capacity.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chichevache posted:

What happened between Fisher and Dickerson?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

whiteyfats posted:

What happened between Fisher and Dickerson?
Dickerson has been very critical of the Rams this season, so much so that Fisher called him on the phone to tell him to stop attending Rams games.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

Dickerson has been very critical of the Rams this season, so much so that Fisher called him on the phone to tell him to stop attending Rams games.

He also said it was the players who didn't want him around, not Fischer

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

shiksa posted:

Swapping tirico for this dingus is just inexcusable

I don't know how all this works, but ESPN should have opened the vault for Ian Eagle.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fsif posted:

I don't know how all this works, but ESPN should have opened the vault for Ian Eagle.
These TV stations cant tell the difference between a good announcer and their assholes so I am not surprised. They spend millions (billions?) on these NFL TV contracts and we have some of the shittiest talking heads to ever grace our TV screens week after week and year after year.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just need a play by play guy, Gruden and Randy Moss in the booth.

Moss entire job would be hatin' on wideouts and cornerbacks, in that hosed up accent.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The Jags need Jeff Fisher and Jeff Fisher needs the Jags.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cash Monet posted:

The Jags need Jeff Fisher and Jeff Fisher needs the Jags.
Dont you put that evil on us.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fisher in the booth would be an interesting experiment considering he doesn't know which players belongs to which team.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Dickerson also IIRC asked Fisher for sideline passes and Fisher in return asked that he be banned from the stadium or something like that.

gently caress Jeff Fisher for turning Todd Gurley into poo poo and completely loving up Jared Goff's development.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 14, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

It is the most loving LA thing in the world that the first two coaches their sports writers start talking to are the top 5 in the sport, college or pro.

Like it's not the NBA no one gives a poo poo what city they're in.

This is a little misguided.

There is one team in Los Angeles attempting to represent 19 million people and they're currently trying to do everything in their power to establish a foothold in a community that had gotten comfortable not needing NFL football. You owe it to the city to start at the top. Sorry about Michigan or Seattle fans bristling about this and yeah neither coach is most likely coming. But if you are in a place this big those 9 million people in the entire state of Michigan (many of whom despise UM) aren't going to stop you from trying to entice their coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Just give the job to Coughlin and be done with it

The guy obviously still wants to coach, and while I doubt it'd lead to much early success, it would at the bare minimum be somewhat amusing while allowing old men reporters to praise the rams for landing such a respectable and somewhat big fish

• Locked thread