Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gamesguy posted:

China is also far more fragile environmentally than the US with far more people to feed with less arable land. In any sort of remotely realistic global warming scenario it's the poor countries like Bangladesh that get screwed. The US would come off relatively unscathed since we can afford to build massive seawalls and relocate agriculture to North Dakota.

But without the political will that wouldn't happen. The 29th Amendment corporate takeover was presumably the culmination of efforts, not a magic thing that appeared overnight, we've no idea how much the government was allowed to do even ignoring able to do.

Gamesguy posted:

We've never ever seen one of these mysterious shareholders. Laura's mother, despite being a CEO, was mentioned to have a pretty fragile position. The exec that got NDAed obviously didn't have any stock or his family would have been able to stay.

Today most stocks are owned by mutual funds, pension funds, and life insurance companies. If all you have is a few ultra rich owning everything there would logically be very little or no trading. Bill Gates doesn't waste his time trading his Microsoft shares for shares in Apple.

Yeah the workers we see, even the ones that live in luxury, are still workers and the company will want as much control over them as possible. The housing etc is not too different from the 'company store'.

A small number of ultra rich owning everything wouldn't stop trading, it's still a way to get something for nothing.

Gamesguy posted:

It's a massive security risk and demotivator to have your basic corporate grunts living in the same place as the refugee masses. It wouldn't cost much to setup a separate zone for them with cheap housing, corporations have built cheap worker housing since forever.

Setting up a separate zone would cost a ton and wouldn't have any security benefits, why build a second checkpoint instead of just using one? Having low level Spiga employees interacting with the underclass wouldn't be demotivating, it would be a fear-is-a-motivator reminder of how much better off the Spiga employees are/what the alternatives are, as well as being a constant advertisement for Spiga employment in the red zone. The shittier it is to not have a job the less jobs have to provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's because they don't want to build more sets.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
No really they could just use an empty college dorm and call that security barracks. The green zones are castles, why would you want your serf-beaters out living with the serfs?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gamesguy posted:

China is also far more fragile environmentally than the US with far more people to feed with less arable land. In any sort of remotely realistic global warming scenario it's the poor countries like Bangladesh that get screwed. The US would come off relatively unscathed since we can afford to build massive seawalls and relocate agriculture to North Dakota.

So far, the only things that have really been shown in the show that directly relate to the environment are some desertified sections of the country and floods. Both are those are pretty reasonable. I mean, Miami is basically a dead city walking at this point in even best case scenarios. A realistic worst case scenario is looking like (at least) a partial collapse of the west antarctic ice sheet within the next half century, and that puts large sections of both seaboards under water with or without sea walls. The only thing that really makes me roll my eyes are the completely wrecked cities. Poor and dilapidated I can buy, but the literally crumbling skyscrapers are a bit much.

As far as the China stuff goes, that seems to have more to do with the US just having a lovely response to things. I mean, It's a dystopian cyberpunk show. It's clearly not trying to portray an optimistic vision of the future, but there's nothing so far that's wildly objectionable.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I like all kinds of random Canadian cities getting name dropped. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Winnipeg, but it has the same flood risk as the rest of the Red River Valley, which is to say it better have some legit levees in this future and is going to be horizontally constrained with regards to expansion.

They have decent ones now, but expanding those are expensive and increased percipitation would not make the floods smaller. Then again, they are partially snowmelt driven floods, so they may see less intense floods?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think that Julian jumping to the conclusion that Aaron killed Roger would have made more sense if Roger was the frontrunner for the promotion. But instead Aaron seems to be way ahead of everyone else since he has given the company a few wins + inlaw connection.

CSI: Redzone was pretty funny. I thought that it would be part of his plan to frame someone else, but nope he just played himself.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think that Julian jumping to the conclusion that Aaron killed Roger would have made more sense if Roger was the frontrunner for the promotion. But instead Aaron seems to be way ahead of everyone else since he has given the company a few wins + inlaw connection.

CSI: Redzone was pretty funny. I thought that it would be part of his plan to frame someone else, but nope he just played himself.

Aaron/Ben has made such a clusterfuck of the whole thing it's almost comical.

Though I agree that Julian's jump is a bit too on the nose, remember how this whole thing started. Ben's boss goes completely off the reservation, makes moves that make no sense, and gets busted and interrogated/tortured. Julian knows he wasn't guilty, and his pool of suspects is incredibly small. Then one of those suspects dies, and Julian's team recovers a piece of tech that shows remarkable aptitude while at the same time Ben demonstrates remarkable aptitude with getting BrainScan5000 (tm) up and running.

If anything, if Julian continues suspecting Aaron it'll be for reasons unrelated to the promotion because as you said he has the promotion in the bag on his merits alone.

We're still missing what character Roger's last voicemail brings in. His father apparently hasn't heard it, so the next most likely recipient is his brother.

I feel his show leader status is going to take a backseat to Laura and Helo's soon-to-be budding relationship.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I find it a bit funny that with the mind reading helmet, Aaron could probably go to any other corporation and sell it to them in exchange for them to extract Elena or just buy out her contract while also setting them up for life. Bring Theo along too because why not.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
LOL Aaron being straight up supervillain this episode with those videos

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Interesting to see Helo rebuilding the nation state from the ground up.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Dewey's masterplan to beat a tech god who can losslessly cut and paste pieces of his brain: open up a console, type BYPASS SOFTWARE

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

seravid posted:

Dewey's masterplan to beat a tech god who can losslessly cut and paste pieces of his brain: open up a console, type BYPASS SOFTWARE

Hey, he has 4 kidneys, not 2 brains!

mossyfisk posted:

Interesting to see Helo rebuilding the nation state from the ground up.

I can see him teaming up with the Allstate Guy and Laura to save the world, and they all throw Aaron/Ben to the curb because he's such an rear end in a top hat.

poo poo, I'm pretty sure now if Aaron does get to see Elena, she'll reject him when she sees what a monster he's become.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

LOL Aaron being straight up supervillain this episode with those videos

I couldn't stop laughing when it happened the second-time.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

I couldn't stop laughing when it happened the second-time.

"Nah uh uh"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know if they did it on purpose but Aaron's plan was basically cribbed from the manga/anime series Death Note.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That was a pretty good season finale with enough set up for next season. Well except for Theo who is starting to become worthless to the plot.

It's too bad those drones only had the super overkill weapons payload instead of missiles to take out the troop carriers.

Dead attempted defector dad confirmed.

Aaron finally realized he can sell Everclear for a ticket out. Shame he gave it to dumbass Dewey Crowe who codes his hidden vault with familiar DNA and his own.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

So Ben noticed the lack of a ring and that Laura referred to her practice instead of her clinic?

Laura is metal, this can go so many ways.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

crazypeltast52 posted:

So Ben noticed the lack of a ring and that Laura referred to her practice instead of her clinic?

Laura is metal, this can go so many ways.

Plus his interrogator opened the same sealed bottle he was drinking from the previous night.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rodders has hit the skids.

3peat
May 6, 2010

The wife going full sharia law was hilarious

I guess the girlfriend is part of an anti-corporate resistance movement?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

3peat posted:

Clearly

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

3peat posted:

The wife going full sharia law was hilarious

She is a SJW, the w just doesn't stand for warrior.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Just watched the final. I really hope it gets renewed. There was just so many great scenes in the final and some nice setups for the next season. I look forward to hear more about the whores rebellion and what their plan exactly is.
This show was far better than I had expected initially.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rocksicles posted:

Rodders has hit the skids.

MacKay just can't catch a break. :(

I enjoyed this show more than I thought I was going to and it's basically the Syndicate TV series I never knew I needed in my life. I hope it gets picked up for a few more seasons. I'm glad to see Syfy having a renaissance.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, I hope it's renwewed too. Not a good sign that they burned off 2 eps in one night tho.

A great finale. I liked the show from the start but it was even better than I first thought. Was surprised that Theo sold out Ben so fast when he was begging him to go back to being Aaron to save his sister.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Honestly Theo has been nothing but a dick to Aaron and everyone else. He really is the worst.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Atreiden posted:

Honestly Theo has been nothing but a dick to Aaron and everyone else. He really is the worst.

Yeah I mean if some dude was trying to save my sister from corporate sex slavery I wouldn't really rag on him no matter what he does

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah I mean if some dude was trying to save my sister from corporate sex slavery I wouldn't really rag on him no matter what he does

He was put in an impossible situation, the alternative was the death of the only thing he had left in his life.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

In all fairness to Theo, he's taken a ridiculous amount of head trauma over the last few weeks.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah and by now, Theo is about as evil as Aaron. I mean Aaron did ruin three innocent children's lives, murdered a guy and caused the death of another, but at least he did it for a noble goal. Theo just murdered a guy for fame.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Atreiden posted:

Yeah and by now, Theo is about as evil as Aaron. I mean Aaron did ruin three innocent children's lives, murdered a guy and caused the death of another, but at least he did it for a noble goal. Theo just murdered a guy for fame.

Well he's only fighting so he can get to the green zone fights then somehow rescue his sister. But then he hosed that up too so :shrug:

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Astroman posted:

Yeah, I hope it's renwewed too. Not a good sign that they burned off 2 eps in one night tho.

A great finale. I liked the show from the start but it was even better than I first thought. Was surprised that Theo sold out Ben so fast when he was begging him to go back to being Aaron to save his sister.

I thought Theo was gonna rat on Reeds, not exactly a high level guy like Aaron, but still has to be worth something. As it is he basically assured his sister doesnt' get rescued.

Glad Aaron found some spine on the finale, and rescued his friend. He really was a good guy when he couldn't remember who he was.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Atreiden posted:

His invention also lead to the loss of a bunch of PMC guys and caused the death of a scientist with research that would have quite literally saved the world. But ya know, shareholder responsibility.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Finished the last two episodes about 20 minutes ago. Welcome home indeed.

Any word on season 2?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i dunno man, but the shows Twitter game is loving bleak.

Showrunner has like 129 followers. It rates well, for whatever that is worth

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

His invention also lead to the loss of a bunch of PMC guys and caused the death of a scientist with research that would have quite literally saved the world. But ya know, shareholder responsibility.

Yes but that wasn't Aaron's decision. I don't really hold him responsible for what Spiga chose to use an invention for, that he was only part of inventing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I was a little surprised they didn't have Laura do the "humane" thing of making sure she cut off the thief's off-hand. Impressed even.

Though I think plot bloat is a real concern at this point. Cutting the Reed thread doesn't help when tying the fight promoter directly to Aaron and introducing the seamstress (hem, hem) revolt. The "previously on" recaps are hilariously long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

More like In-cancel-lated.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Ah well.

Maybe we'll at least get a "what the hell was planned going forward" dump? Though I doubt it.

C'est La Vie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

muscles like this! posted:

More like In-cancel-lated.

Well, poo poo.

• Locked thread