Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Reading over the last page it seems like you guys still think it is the late 90s? Weed legalization has a higher approval rating than any individual politician in office right now even when you get to the state by state levels afaik.

Yinlock posted:

rolled out from where, the gop who want everything to be the same as a hundred years ago?

I mean this is just an excuse to round up more prison slaves so white people should be fine anyway and thus won't care

Rolled out from the state legislatures who have been passing legalization bills. It's already more than half the states that have some kind of medical weed at least isn't it?

e: 28 states have passed some form of marijuana legalization. 10 more and that's 3/4ths. This is a nonstarter for the federal gov't I think.

Roylicious has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Bushiz posted:

Weed's not romantic tho. You can't have some big story about how great recreational weed. There's no crying 80 year old gay couples getting married with weed legalization, it's just a 20 something dude in a bowtie that starts every sentence with "actually, studies show" and the GOP benefits of keeping it as illegal as possible are numerous, since white america doesn't give a poo poo about black people in prison.

Have you seen the videos of seizing children and Parkinsons riddled grandpas walking around with no symptoms after eating a magic brownie? It's why weed is legal in 2/3rds of the country.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

zen death robot posted:

Sessions is an rear end in a top hat and Trump is an authoritarian so say goodbye to your weed

if they do that they can kiss several swing states goodbye. Assuming the dems there are organized enough to take advantage of it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bushiz posted:

Weed's not romantic tho. You can't have some big story about how great recreational weed. There's no crying 80 year old gay couples getting married with weed legalization, it's just a 20 something dude in a bowtie that starts every sentence with "actually, studies show" and the GOP benefits of keeping it as illegal as possible are numerous, since white america doesn't give a poo poo about black people in prison.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Have you seen the videos of seizing children and Parkinsons riddled grandpas walking around with no symptoms after eating a magic brownie? It's why weed is legal in 2/3rds of the country.

extremely this. i was a mmj hater until i saw some fruity smelling high potency topicals completely replace opiates to deal with the plate in my wife's foot. Stuff works.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Agean90 posted:

Assuming the dems there are organized

lol

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

zen death robot posted:

Sessions is an rear end in a top hat and Trump is an authoritarian so say goodbye to your weed

Okay, but what could they actually do? At most they can order the DEA to pursue heavy enforcement but without local PD cooperation that's going to be very ineffectual.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hey we all lold at the thought of trump winning, an look where we are now. Who knows what can happen in 2 years!!

yeah I don't believe what i just typed either

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Roylicious posted:

Rolled out from the state legislatures who have been passing legalization bills. It's already more than half the states that have some kind of medical weed at least isn't it?

What legislatures have written and passed legalization bills without having their hands forced on the issue?

None, from what I can recall. Not one.

Agean90 posted:

if they do that they can kiss several swing states goodbye. Assuming the dems there are organized enough to take advantage of it.

So what you're saying is, they'll get away with it too?

Roylicious posted:

Okay, but what could they actually do? At most they can order the DEA to pursue heavy enforcement but without local PD cooperation that's going to be very ineffectual.

They can shut down the legal market and drive the whole thing back underground. Which brings back all the crime issues and social unrest and side effects, except this time it gets blamed on weed being legal.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

GlyphGryph posted:

They can shut down the legal market and drive the whole thing back underground. Which brings back all the crime issues and social unrest and side effects, except this time it gets blamed on weed being legal.

yeah, kind of like how the dems blamed crime in the ghetto on the availability of public housing

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

GlyphGryph posted:

What legislatures have written and passed legalization bills without having their hands forced on the issue?

None, from what I can recall. Not one.

Idk what point you're trying to make here.

GlyphGryph posted:

It's interesting that somehow they wield the executive authority to totally shut it down whereas a decade or so ago when the DEA was raiding medical clinics all the time there were still tons of medical patients getting weed from clinics.

Like I said, they could tell the DEA to exclusively focus on getting legal weed clinics shut down and even if they take that insane step they still couldn't do what you're saying. Definitely not without local PD cooperation which I don't think will be forthcoming.

Roylicious has issued a correction as of 19:44 on Dec 16, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Roylicious posted:

Idk what point you're trying to make here.

You seem to think state legislatures will fight for legal weed, but there are no state legislatures that actually support legal weed yet.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

GlyphGryph posted:

You seem to think state legislatures will fight for legal weed, but there are no state legislatures that actually support legal weed yet.

You seem to think that once the laws are now on the books it'll be a simple matter to roll them all back on Trump and Pence's say so. There's a few states where that exact thing is prohibited in the state constitution.

Also, clearly weed legalization is popular among the voters. What state politician is going to risk pissing off his base and ending their career in order to appease the federal government?

CA, for example, as much as it is a dumb state isn't going to just lie over on this.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Roylicious posted:

Also, clearly weed legalization is popular among the voters. What state politician is going to risk pissing off his base and ending their career in order to appease the federal government?

Many of them are going to roll over because it gives them an excuse to get the outcome they want and blame Trump instead of themselves.

Weed is still illegal, all they need to do is give the go ahead for the Feds to enforce it. The state laws literally don't matter if that happens.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

GlyphGryph posted:

Many of them are going to roll over because it gives them an excuse to get the outcome they want and blame Trump instead of themselves.

Weed is still illegal, all they need to do is give the go ahead for the Feds to enforce it. The state laws literally don't matter if that happens.

Well I think that you think people hate weed like it is still 1999 :shrug:

Idk how many state politicians are going to want to attack weed legalization, destroy jobs, and decrease state revenues in order to appease Trump just because secretly deep down they just hate weed and are looking for an excuse to gut legalization.

Especially given that, like I said, support for legal weed in the states in question is more approved of than any individual politician afaik. It would mean an incredibly good chance of losing their seat in the next election and that's the #1 thing they are trying to avoid.

GlyphGryph posted:

And that's not strictly true depending on the jurisdiction. Many sheriff departments aren't beholden whatsoever to the federal gov't and only enforce state laws.

Realistically here is what would happen if the federal gov't pursues heavy anti-weed enforcement: they'll get sued by a state and then an injunction will be put on further DEA action against state-legal stuff until it makes its way through the courts. Worst case the SCOTUS declares all the state laws in question null and void but that isn't going to be something that happens very quickly.

e: also you're describing a situation that has already happened and all it did was make the dispensaries play whack-a-mole with the Feds. Certainly didn't stop the burgeoning market and I think this time around there will be less cooperation from local PD which would make enforcement basically impossible.

Roylicious has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Dec 16, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Roylicious posted:

It would mean an incredibly good chance of losing their seat in the next election and that's the #1 thing they are trying to avoid.

You are making some fundamentally flawed assumptions here, and reality disagrees with you quite strongly.

Roylicious posted:

I don't, I didn't say I did, but you seem to believe politicians support weed the same way the public does and it couldn't be further from the truth.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roylicious posted:

There cannot be local PD cooperation in legal-weed states. If you want to enforce a federal law, you have to send federal agents. Denver PD and CO State Patrol will tell them to kick rocks.

This is one big why Trump can't nutcrack us on this. Where is the money going to come from for these thousands of agents to go bust rich white guys with goatees that own grows/shops?

Also, home growing is very popular and the thought of Trump sending federal agents bashing down every single individual door (remember you can rec grow in CO and other states just by being a resident, they don't "have a list" of these people) to try to pull some scraggly plants out is hilarious on many levels and will never happen.

Jonny 290 has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Dec 16, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think home growing will still be fine, for the most part. The real risk is politicians seeing an opportunity to shift policy back a decade and turn popular sentiment against legalization. We haven't won the war for popular opinion, we've only made progress, and it could go back to where it was in eight years, easily.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

GlyphGryph posted:

You are making some fundamentally flawed assumptions here, and reality disagrees with you quite strongly.

I don't, I didn't say I did, but you seem to believe politicians support weed the same way the public does and it couldn't be further from the truth.

You seem to believe that if a politician goes against something that passed with overwhelming popular support they wouldn't be at risk to lose their seat in the next election.

Which, to me, seems to be the flawed assumption. But if I were a politician I'd probably tell Trump and Pence to pound sand rather than pursue their policies for no gain to myself. What would my motivation even be as that hypothetical politician? Grr weed is bad? Who cares if it is bad or good, tax money is up and the voter base is appeased.

Maybe I'm just naive though I could be wrong.

quote:

The real risk is politicians seeing an opportunity to shift policy back a decade and turn popular sentiment against legalization.

But why? They just hate weed? Politicians do things they think would be beneficial to themselves and their career. This seems like a giant unpopular fight for no purpose.

Roylicious has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Dec 16, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Roylicious posted:

But why? They just hate weed? Politicians do things they think would be beneficial to themselves and their career. This seems like a giant unpopular fight for no purpose.

Well, first, politicians do actually have beliefs. They aren't perfectly emotional, self-interested robots. And yes, they loving hate weed, in large part. I live somewhere with overwhelming support, and I've spoken to three local politicians, and not only do they hate weed, they hate the people who smoke weed, they are full of vitriol and contempt, and they hate the people who voted for weed even though it makes up the majority of their supporters.

I don't claim to understand it, but yes, many of them outright loving hate weed legalization.

Even if they didn't, a lot of their wealthy donors and backers and behind the scenes organizers, people whose opinions they seem to care about a lot more than the average voter, hate it too. And a lot of them are simply afraid to take risks, they think marijuana opposition is safe because even though people support legalization they don't support it enough to vote for a Republican that also hates it... and they aren't wrong!

The evidence speaks for itself, look at all the states where the Legislatures are actively acting against or refuse to move on legalization measures because of internal political opposition despite the fact that the states themselves keep voting overwhelmingly to legalize.

Maybe you're lucky to live in a better state where you don't get to see the constant war between the electorate and the politicians over this issue, and just how willing politicians are to tell their supporters to gently caress off about it.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Hmm well you could be right of course who knows what the future holds. I don't think it'll be as easy as that though.

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, first, politicians do actually have beliefs. They aren't perfectly emotional, self-interested robots.

Maybe I'm too jaded :D

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Roylicious posted:

Goons have a certain knee-jerk pessimism, 10 years ago on this forum at least half of the posters were adamant that weed would never be legal in the US.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Roylicious posted:

Maybe I'm too jaded :D

The problem is that the few things they tend to have strong beliefs over tend to be really bad because it's usually based around "gently caress these people I don't like"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Legal weed isn't getting rolled back in the states. There's absolutely no reason for Sessions to start this incredibly messy fight when there's a bunch of clear agenda items that they campaigned on. However it's definitely not getting rescheduled, the "law and order" plank means that the states that do enforce it will continue to do so aggressively, and minimum sentencing will definitely still be a thing. So, as with many things, white people will be minimally affected by it, minorities will continue to get screwed

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Dmitri-9 posted:

Sounds cool we can keep medicinal weed (with appropriate testing to make sure it only stays being used for 'approved' conditions). Then we can sap it dry over the next four years and say "oh there's still ways to get it" and continue to shovel black people into prison.

I mean like medicinal weed is super great but so is abortion and look at how legal that is.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

I think home growing will still be fine, for the most part. The real risk is politicians seeing an opportunity to shift policy back a decade and turn popular sentiment against legalization. We haven't won the war for popular opinion, we've only made progress, and it could go back to where it was in eight years, easily.

the guy next to me at work literally believes that the children of homeless mothers should starve to death to punish their parents for their laziness and even he thinks marijuana should be legalized and that the medical states have proven it's harmless

i think your cynicism in the wake of Trump's election is now officially getting the better of you

we won the war for popular opinion on this issue years ago.

also all your guys' weird cynicism aside the state legislature in CO at least is incredibly on board with legal weed not for the least reason being that just about every project in CO now is getting some of that weed money. Politicians have a lot to gain from maintaining prohibition but once it's gone bringing it back is a tricky proposition without a lot of benefits. They were threatening to ignore federal rulings from the SC on their Marijuana law for christ's sake.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Dec 16, 2016

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The time has come for a gun that shoots weed

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Mirthless posted:

the guy next to me at work literally believes that the children of homeless mothers should starve to death to punish their parents for their laziness and even he thinks marijuana should be legalized and that the medical states have proven it's harmless

i think your cynicism in the wake of Trump's election is now officially getting the better of you

we won the war for popular opinion on this issue years ago.

You act as if those things have anything to do with each other or I should somehow make some sort of connection between them?

It's no cynicism to recognize opinions can change over time.

quote:

also all your guys' weird cynicism aside the state legislature in CO at least is incredibly on board with legal weed not for the least reason being that just about every project in CO now is getting some of that weed money. Politicians have a lot to gain from maintaining prohibition but once it's gone bringing it back is a tricky proposition without a lot of benefits. They were threatening to ignore federal rulings from the SC on their Marijuana law for christ's sake.
We are so drat lucky to have had CO do this poo poo right.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zorodius posted:

I've heard of high power rifles but this is ridiculous!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Zorodius posted:

Smoke 'em

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

zen death robot posted:

Yeah they're gonna raid the gently caress out of the state licensed stores

stand outside an uncle ikes in seattle and watch as people constantly filter in and out from 8:00am to 11:45pm, seven days a week, buying tons and tons of taxed-to-hell overpriced weed. they've already opened two more locations and are on the way to becoming a franchise. at this point it would be like raiding a starbucks

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agean90 posted:

it would be the most american thing if the downfall of republicans comes from weed

i'm pretty sure nobody will care though

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i bet wa or and co will be left alone but a couple dispensaries in CA will start to get raided again to make an example of them

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

GlyphGryph posted:

actually, illinois' medical marijuana program was enacted by the state legislature

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

That Robot posted:

actually, illinois' medical marijuana program was enacted by the state legislature

And not under duress? (I know there's been a handful that rushed through legalization to get ahead of a ballot measure that looked like it would pass and implement something more restricted while keeping it off the ballot)

That would be pretty cool, at least.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

I feel like it'll be way easier and more enjoyable for Sessions to focus on his true calling, which is being a massive racist.

You know who likes to smoke weed? Black people.

You know who Jeff Sessions really doesn't like? Black people.

An atom of weed on the body of a minority will be cause for a lynching, provided the police leave enough of a body to string up.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hey america a fascist is taking power

america: yawn who cares

hey they might ban weed again

america: oh my god it can't be true, this is devastating

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

idk whatll happen with weed but lmao at people yammering on about the "optics" of the gop fighting against States Rights and shutting down the weed stores. absolutely nothing matters to GOP voters other than aggressively attacking minorities and making liberals sad. Milo just needs to post a youtube video about how smoking weed illegally is cool and only cucks + sjws want to legalize weed and boom, any republican pothead resistance is gone and nobody has a problem with any of it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yinlock posted:

hey america a fascist is taking power

america: yawn who cares

hey they might ban weed again

america: oh my god it can't be true, this is devastating

this but genuinely happening, because that's what's loving happening

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

slouch posted:

idk whatll happen with weed but lmao at people yammering on about the "optics" of the gop fighting against States Rights and shutting down the weed stores. absolutely nothing matters to GOP voters other than aggressively attacking minorities and making liberals sad. Milo just needs to post a youtube video about how smoking weed illegally is cool and only cucks + sjws want to legalize weed and boom, any republican pothead resistance is gone and nobody has a problem with any of it.

It would lose them Colorado, legalization is super popular here because;

In February 2015, the state of Colorado reported that tax collection figures for 2014, the first year of legal commercial sales, reached a total of $44 million from recreational marijuana with a further $32 million collected from fees on the industry and pre-existing taxes on medical marijuana.[57] These sales and excise tax figures do not include the corporate and personal income taxes generated by businesses and employees working in the state's marijuana industry.[58] The state Department of Revenue reported that official sales of recreational and medical marijuana from dispensaries reached over $996 million in 2015; a $297 million increase from the $699 million sold in 2014. The 2015 sales alone generated $135 million of tax revenue, $35 million of which are being used for the Education Center construction projects.

Colorado is also unique because it's not a 50/50 swing state, it's 1/3rd dem, 1/3rd gop, 1/3rd indepdent, and a lot of the republicans and independents tend to skew libertarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

zen death robot posted:

Sessions thought the KKK was alright until he found out they smoked pot.

There's no reason to think this guy isn't gonna swing the hammer hard on this stuff.

exactly, here's the thing: the trump administration picking a fight with legal weed would be one of the worst decisions they could make, right?

therefore they are going to do it

edit: if you are counting on jeff sessions not to be an idiot then i have this deed to a tower at 57th and 5th in NYC to sell you...

• Locked thread