Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

one of those new locations is directly across the street from another weed store and that seems kinda hosed up to me

yeah, the "starbucks" comparison is intentional. it only took two years of it being legal before a corporate chain rose up to snuff out all ma and pa weed stores with it's fancy website/app and cute baristas budtenders. plus the 50 dollar Lyft credit you get for shopping there thanks to its corporate sponsorship

that was Obama's America :patriot:

so yeah, maybe in Trump's America things will go so haywire that the feds starts doing busts of dispensaries again like the days of old. however, I remember the videos of Bush's men kicking down doors of sketchy looking MMJ shops in run down shopping malls with the bars on the windows. It'd be a much different optics to have social media flooded with vids of DEA guys helicoptering in, breaking into classy storefronts, and arresting a bunch of college kids working a counter to supplement their student loans while businessmen, grandmas, and a confused group of Japanese tourists look on

ultimately Trump is a money guy, and that green talks. I don't think that his appointing cranky racist old dude to AG is going to be the bullet that kills an extremely well-established and entrenched multi-million dollar business

Trumps Baby Hands has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

yeah, the "starbucks" comparison is intentional. it only took two years of it being legal before a corporate chain rose up to snuff out all ma and pa weed stores with it's fancy website/app and cute baristas budtenders. plus the 50 dollar Lyft credit you get for shopping there thanks to its corporate sponsorship

that was Obama's America :patriot:

so yeah, maybe in Trump's America things will go so haywire that the feds starts doing busts of dispensaries again like the days of old. however, I remember the videos of Bush's men kicking down doors of sketchy looking MMJ shops in run down shopping malls with the bars on the windows. It'd be a much different optics to have social media flooded with vids of DEA guys helicoptering in, breaking into classy storefronts, and arresting a bunch of college kids working a counter to supplement their student loans while businessmen, grandmas, and a confused group of Japanese tourists look on

ultimately Trump is a money guy, and that green talks. I don't think that his appointing cranky racist old dude to AG is going to be the bullet that kills an extremely well-established and entrenched multi-million dollar business

See, where you see a multi million dollar business Sessions sees a continuing criminal enterprise. They don't even need to raid the dispensaries, they just need to subpoena the state governments.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ace of Baes posted:

It's much easier to keep worms in a can if they're already in there.

Also support for legalization is way higher now than it was then, as much as people insist that this doesn't matter.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

You're putting a lot of faith in Trump not being sold on this as a way to punish states that didn't vote for him and are, arguably, ignoring his authority as President of the United States.

That being said, the GOP going all-in on marijuana legalization could be a brilliant strategic move to completely torpedo the DNC's chances. The libertarian wing of the GOP would be all over it, and as support for it is generally higher, it's possible they could get other wings on board. Of course, this requires the DNC to be a credible threat. And the DNC isn't going to be a credible threat - not in 2018, probably not in 2020, and therefore realistically not until 2024 at the earliest. And with another decade of gerrymandering, probably not even then, either.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
this loving image makes me so loving angry, and I'm not sure why

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rudatron posted:

this loving image makes me so loving angry, and I'm not sure why

It's the stupid mustache on the car.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I can't wait until Jeff Sessions turns out to be the biggest benefactor of the meth and heroin cartel

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

PromethiumX posted:

I think in time it will be revealed that Sessions actually possesses the dankest nugs ever known to mankind.

much in the same way that vehemently anti-gay senators are always the ones diddling little boys on their "vacations" to the Philippines.

Please. He's a cocaine man. Cocaine is the white people drug.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I can't wait until Jeff Sessions turns out to be the biggest benefactor of the meth and heroin cartel

this wouldnt be such a bad angle of attack really

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nobody will ever convince me that Dog Chapman wasn't the biggest ice dealer on the Big Island.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

super sweet best pal posted:

I think it'd be funny if Trump legalized it and pissed off/confused everyone.

Sadly, he can't and won't.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

They don't even need to raid the dispensaries, they just need to subpoena the state governments.

which results in a multi-year court battle with no real resolution

CA in particular is already pretty much saying gently caress you to the federal gov't I doubt they're just going to hand over medical data like that.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article120928688.html

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Dec 19, 2016

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Bushiz posted:

Jeff Sessions sending a bunch of FBI agents in full tactical gear to raid a bunch of small business owners because states rights don't matter seems like the sort of thing that's hard for the democrats to gently caress up, but then again, they are the democrats

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Agean90 posted:

if they do that they can kiss several swing states goodbye. Assuming the dems there are organized enough to take advantage of it.

They are not.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

GlyphGryph posted:

You seem to think state legislatures will fight for legal weed, but there are no state legislatures that actually support legal weed yet.

Whoa there.

How about that sweet sweet tax revenue?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Princess Di posted:

Whoa there.

How about that sweet sweet tax revenue?

Is sweet tax revenue really worth the price of sacrificing your ideals?

(Those ideals being putting your boot on the neck of blacks and hippies and other subversives)

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, first, politicians do actually have beliefs. They aren't perfectly emotional, self-interested robots. And yes, they loving hate weed, in large part. I live somewhere with overwhelming support, and I've spoken to three local politicians, and not only do they hate weed, they hate the people who smoke weed, they are full of vitriol and contempt, and they hate the people who voted for weed even though it makes up the majority of their supporters.

I don't claim to understand it, but yes, many of them outright loving hate weed legalization.

Even if they didn't, a lot of their wealthy donors and backers and behind the scenes organizers, people whose opinions they seem to care about a lot more than the average voter, hate it too. And a lot of them are simply afraid to take risks, they think marijuana opposition is safe because even though people support legalization they don't support it enough to vote for a Republican that also hates it... and they aren't wrong!

The evidence speaks for itself, look at all the states where the Legislatures are actively acting against or refuse to move on legalization measures because of internal political opposition despite the fact that the states themselves keep voting overwhelmingly to legalize.

Maybe you're lucky to live in a better state where you don't get to see the constant war between the electorate and the politicians over this issue, and just how willing politicians are to tell their supporters to gently caress off about it.

Also to your point, there's one private interest that continues to oppose the legalization of weed.

The private prison industry. Those corporate backers are not happy about pot legalization at all.

How else do you a throw an 18 year old black man with no priors; who is going to a local community college full time, and all the while working full time in a working class job to support his mom, and the rest of his family during his fight to reach middle class?

Find weed on him.

The prison system itself cultivates and encourages recidivism in its prisoners.

He becomes a repeat offender and a lifelong member of the slave underclass that is the prison population.

Also, these fucks have lobbyists.

#MAGA

:smugdon:

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

GlyphGryph posted:

Is sweet tax revenue really worth the price of sacrificing your ideals?

(Those ideals being putting your boot on the neck of blacks and hippies and other subversives)

Makes sense!

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

C. Everett Koop posted:

You know who likes to smoke weed? People.

You know who Jeff Sessions really doesn't like? Black people.

An atom of weed on the body of a minority will be cause for a lynching, provided the police leave enough of a body to string up.

FTFY.

I'm a bit finicky.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

If anyone doubts the ability of the democratic party to fabulously gently caress up and completely ignore a chance to win every part of the government, they are a fool.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Squalid posted:

I admit I'm always puzzled just how severe opposition to legalization has been in the legislature. I mean if this policy is so popular grass-roots campaigns are able to build themselves up and get people voting yes you'd think there would be some incentive for our representatives to put up their own initiatives to a vote but somehow that just isn't happening. How can there be such a disconnect between what people want and their elected government is willing to do? There's hardly even any organized opposition to speak of, almost no real money is being put up against legalization

That is where the money already is.

It's our corporate classes that our against it because it's an easy way to grow the underclasses and stymie economic growth among the poor.

No money is being put up against legalization in the open.

However, behind closed doors...

Well that's different.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock posted:

hey america a fascist is taking power

america: yawn who cares

hey they might ban weed again

america: oh my god it can't be true, this is devastating

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the thought of losing weed has made me suddenly extremely invested in law

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

GlyphGryph posted:

The democratic administration just pushed through rescheduling hemp oil to schedule 1 nationally, and a great many democrats are saying they would be willing to work with Trump on shared interests.

There is no way the Democrats are going to criticize Trump or Sessions if they kick the drug war into a higher gear

loving hemp oil?

Are you serious?

Hemp oil?

I used to use that for cosmetic purposes.

Can you even get high on that?

The gently caress?

:pusheen:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Princess Di posted:

I used to use that for cosmetic purposes.

Can you even get high on that?

I think it's specifically the medical variant, and no, you can not.

Also, it's not just the private prison lobbyists, and that whole thing is a bit of a red herring. Publicly owned prisons are where the real money is, and lmao if you don't think people are making a ton of cash off government prisons.

Also law enforcement continues to be the biggest proponent of spending more money on law enforcement, for obvious reasons, and justifying that requires really egregious laws!

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

GlyphGryph posted:

I think it's specifically the medical variant, and no, you can not.

Also, it's not just the private prison lobbyists, and that whole thing is a bit of a red herring. Publicly owned prisons are where the real money is, and lmao if you don't think people are making a ton of cash off government prisons.

Also law enforcement continues to be the biggest proponent of spending more money on law enforcement, for obvious reasons, and justifying that requires really egregious laws!

:agreed:

:same:

Thanks for pointing out that red herring for me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

There's hardly even any organized opposition to speak of, almost no real money is being put up against legalization

actually cigarette + alcohol companies lobby against it heavily (i'm sure you can imagine why :) ) as do religious groups (like the mormons)

also,

quote:

How can there be such a disconnect between what people want and their elected government is willing to do?

been a while since we've had a good watering of the tree of liberty or something idk

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I literally do not understand why the legislature/politicians are so against legalization but GlyphGryph's answer of "gently caress black people and the left wing" seems like a pretty good explanation so gently caress the Democrats.

I wish the DSA was an actual political party.

because pharma has a lot of money and they dont want competition

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Trump will legalize the sale of all drugs, but only through licensed vendors. Trump Cocaine coming soon to a city near you.

This would be proof that we were in the best of all timelines

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Trump is going to legalise weed and have a much more sensible/decriminalized drug policy just like I said he would, book it. He's shown through several quotes that he understands the illegality is the problem and it's a disease that needs to be cured. His own brother died of alcoholism, and he had a pretty heartfelt interaction with a NH dad whose son died from an OD.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

The Saurus posted:

Trump is going to legalise weed and have a much more sensible/decriminalized drug policy just like I said he would, book it. He's shown through several quotes that he understands the illegality is the problem and it's a disease that needs to be cured. His own brother died of alcoholism, and he had a pretty heartfelt interaction with a NH dad whose son died from an OD.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Trump probably hasn't smoked weed since the 70s, when he traded up to cocaine. Now that he's so, so old I bet he's eating the standard regimen of a fuckload of pills that an American 70+ year old receives. The man probably never hasn't done drugs.

However, his pre-alzheimers mush brain will listen to anyone else with a furrowed brow and a square jaw. So prepare to be curbstomped by Jeff Sessions the Turd.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

That's what I've been doing ever since Brexit and Trump won.

2016 has been a pretty fantastic year for me, all told

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Trump loves his base, which means he's going to legalize meth.

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
If he tries to crack down on weed Cascadia will rise and the Pacific Northwest will be finally free

:patriot:

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
If Cascadia broke free, it would only ever be as part of a nation with california or under the control of a stronger california.

Are WA and OR some of the few places you're allowed to like guns and weed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

The Saurus posted:

If Cascadia broke free, it would only ever be as part of a nation with california or under the control of a stronger california.

Are WA and OR some of the few places you're allowed to like guns and weed?

Yeah. Got to protect the grow opps somehow.

But your leaving out British Columbia, which has always been a part of Cascadia. Mind they aren't fond of guns either but maybe we can convert them. It should balance out California anyway.

• Locked thread