Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I admit I'm always puzzled just how severe opposition to legalization has been in the legislature. I mean if this policy is so popular grass-roots campaigns are able to build themselves up and get people voting yes you'd think there would be some incentive for our representatives to put up their own initiatives to a vote but somehow that just isn't happening. How can there be such a disconnect between what people want and their elected government is willing to do? There's hardly even any organized opposition to speak of, almost no real money is being put up against legalization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

Politicians are old and there's a huge age divide with opinions on weed. Also the law enforcement and prison guard unions are pretty influential. Governor Dayton in MN just flat out said he'd defer to whatever law enforcement told him to do on the subject.

This seems plausible but I don't know how much law enforcement and prison guards are actually doing to fight legalization, certainly they're not putting money down. Dayton's response seems like the most typical; politicians want to keep the status quo, but above all else they REALLY don't want to have to take a firm position. Any excuse to pass the buck.

• Locked thread