Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Given that Trump's whole schtick these days seems to be robbing the Democrats of voters they've taken for granted, I wouldn't honestly be too shocked to see the republicans legalize Marijuana while using Sessions as a signal to law enforcement that the drug war is still going to be as brutal and awful as ever even after they stop rounding up the weed smokers

If the GOP legalizes weed I'm done voting forever ftr, Obama and the dems had eight loving years. Fool me once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

LGD posted:

That would actually make a ton of sense, but would require the Republican party to be operating with some degree of intentionality and be making strategically savvy moves. People underestimated Trump a lot and I think if he actually had firm control of the party/cared about solidifying electoral support he might make that move, but nothing that has actually occurred since he won really gives the impression that he or anyone else is steering the ship in such a manner.

But that could change real fast- I don't think anyone knows how a Trump administration is going to run.

yeah honestly the thing that scares me the most about the next four to eight years is not knowing what the gently caress is going to happen. Trump is completely unpredictable, even the stuff that should be able to be measured out with numbers is completely wrong. We are living in a brave new world.

another thing to consider: while there is overwhelming support for marijuana reform, health-based approaches to drug law is still a concept in it's infancy to most americans and while smart money says weed is legal within the next 8-16 years regardless, who knows what the laws around opioids, etc are going to look like in that time? Right now the hope for people living with opiate addiction is riding pretty heavily on drug reform as a broad platform. How much are people going to care broad platform drug reform after weed is legal? It's gotta be occurring to some people in government at this point that they're nearing the point where they need to sever weed from the rest of drug politics if they want to keep anything close to the existing regime in place.

I think the the most likely order of things here is

1) Nothing is done at the federal level, other than maybe some language from Sessions. They will be few, if any federal busts and they will likely all revolve around the huge number of growers and dispensaries operating in Colorado and California running darknet operations. (you would not believe the amount of weed that comes out of humboldt county via USPS, lol)
2) Medical marijuana is completely legalized and marijuana is decriminalized at the federal level; existing offenders all stay in, mandatory minimums remain in the system, and no other drug laws change for the next eight years (except maybe harsher penalties)
3) Complete 180 and the federal government tries to put the genie back in the bottle. This is a total disaster that costs them the senate in 2018.
4) Complete 180 and the federal government tries to put the genie back in the bottle. This is a total disaster but lol nothing matters and the Republicans remain in power for at least 8 years.

but again Donald Trump is a chaos golem and there's no loving telling what's in store. For all we know we're going to all be talking about ending alcohol prohibition (again) in 2023.

There is a 0% chance that Colorado ever enforces again, though, no matter what happens, lol. They would be in for the fight of their lives on that, I'm sure the GOP are writing off CO as unwinnable at this point but getting into a battle with a state over an immensely popular law as the states rights party is not good optics for the GOP no matter where you are in the country.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Dec 16, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

I think home growing will still be fine, for the most part. The real risk is politicians seeing an opportunity to shift policy back a decade and turn popular sentiment against legalization. We haven't won the war for popular opinion, we've only made progress, and it could go back to where it was in eight years, easily.

the guy next to me at work literally believes that the children of homeless mothers should starve to death to punish their parents for their laziness and even he thinks marijuana should be legalized and that the medical states have proven it's harmless

i think your cynicism in the wake of Trump's election is now officially getting the better of you

we won the war for popular opinion on this issue years ago.

also all your guys' weird cynicism aside the state legislature in CO at least is incredibly on board with legal weed not for the least reason being that just about every project in CO now is getting some of that weed money. Politicians have a lot to gain from maintaining prohibition but once it's gone bringing it back is a tricky proposition without a lot of benefits. They were threatening to ignore federal rulings from the SC on their Marijuana law for christ's sake.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Dec 16, 2016

• Locked thread