Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Let's talk about horror comedies. I'll start with two of my favourites

Cabin in the Woods I really like because it makes fun of every horror movie trope imaginable, and even in the little references (like the momentary shots of the other facilities doing stuff around the world) it manages to cleverly reference other horror movies as well. But it's not just a reference-fest, I think it accurately sends up a lot of the dumber things about horror movies (like people having sex in the woods or constantly splitting up) through its premise, while also managing to tell a fun story and work in a lot of really cool set pieces and spectacles that are only possible because of its unique premise (the two I'm thinking of in particular here are the elevator scene and the cubes scene). All in all, probably my favourite movie in the genre and one that I like to rewatch and try and catch more fun references each time.

Tucker and Dale Versus Evil is I think a lot more comedic and less focused on satirizing horror movies as it is on just mining laughs out of its premise (inverting the roles so that the intimidating rednecks are actually just really nice, misunderstood guys and the innocent college students are the insane bloodthirsty monsters), but I think it has a good heart underneath the concept and that's helped by good performances from Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine. Plus I just remember a lot of it being really refreshingly funny. Maybe I'll rewatch it later today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jespass
Oct 17, 2012
Although it's not actually in the movie. I think this scene instantly made Alien my favourite horror comedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5jYeIMBKk

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Manos: The Hands of Fate is the greatest horror comedy.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Bob James posted:

Manos: The Hands of Fate is the greatest horror comedy.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Bob James posted:

Manos: The Hands of Fate is the greatest goon-restored horror comedy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The best horror comedy is Return of the Living Dead. It is also the best horror movie. You could argue its the best movie, period.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basebf555 posted:

The best horror comedy is Return of the Living Dead. It is also the best horror movie. You could argue its the best movie, period.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I dont think any horror comedy has ever reached the perfect balance that Evil Dead 2 did, no matter how much I love some other entries in the genre

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Basebf555 posted:

First sentence maybe, next two sentences no.

Shaun of the Dead, Gremlins 1 & 2, The Howling, Dead Alive, Beetlejuice, Young Frankenstein, Re-Animator, Society, Tremors, Drag Me To Hell, etc. etc.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Just watched What We Do In the Shadows, it was pretty funny.

"Are you... pre-deceased??"

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRDJN23YZmw

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

vyelkin posted:

Let's talk about horror comedies. I'll start with two of my favourites

Cabin in the Woods I really like because it makes fun of every horror movie trope imaginable, and even in the little references (like the momentary shots of the other facilities doing stuff around the world) it manages to cleverly reference other horror movies as well. But it's not just a reference-fest, I think it accurately sends up a lot of the dumber things about horror movies (like people having sex in the woods or constantly splitting up) through its premise, while also managing to tell a fun story and work in a lot of really cool set pieces and spectacles that are only possible because of its unique premise (the two I'm thinking of in particular here are the elevator scene and the cubes scene). All in all, probably my favourite movie in the genre and one that I like to rewatch and try and catch more fun references each time.

Tucker and Dale Versus Evil is I think a lot more comedic and less focused on satirizing horror movies as it is on just mining laughs out of its premise (inverting the roles so that the intimidating rednecks are actually just really nice, misunderstood guys and the innocent college students are the insane bloodthirsty monsters), but I think it has a good heart underneath the concept and that's helped by good performances from Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine. Plus I just remember a lot of it being really refreshingly funny. Maybe I'll rewatch it later today!

I hate those. I think horror comedies should be horror AND comedy, not comedy about horror.

Cabin in the woods is a movie you couldn't pay me to rewatch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tucker and Dale is a much more effective comedy than Cabin in the Woods is though, so at least it succeeds on that level. I could probably rewatch Tucker and Dale because the gags might still be funny, there aren't really any good jokes in Cabin in the Woods. The only one I can think of is motorcycle jump into the forcefield but that's not going to be nearly as funny if you know its coming.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Peter Jackson's Braindead and the other horror movies he made before LotR. They're all amazing midnight movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bad Taste is barely a movie lol.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Bad Taste is barely a movie lol.

It sure is something

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cabin in the woods should have some spin offs from the different locations. I want to see the Japan location do it's thing and how the kids go from being tormented by a ghost to beating a ghost with the power of love

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

does Idle Hands count? i liked it a long time ago, but if i dunno if i would if i saw it again. nonetheless, the lead singer of The Offspring gets killed by the evil hand in it so that's something to like

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

does Idle Hands count? i liked it a long time ago, but if i dunno if i would if i saw it again. nonetheless, the lead singer of The Offspring gets killed by the evil hand in it so that's something to like

It's definitely a horror comedy if that's what you're asking. Specifically a stoner horror comedy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Basebf555 posted:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Trash Humpers is a pretty solid horror comedy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

also Antichrist if you take Von Trier's word for it.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

also Antichrist if you take Von Trier's word for it.

idk if id take the word of a dane

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Is Shaun of the Dead too obvious to discuss? It's a perfect execution of both horror and comedy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FedEx Mercury posted:

Is Shaun of the Dead too obvious to discuss? It's a perfect execution of both horror and comedy.

I like it, but definitely not the perfect mix. Too much comedy and not quite enough horror.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I like Cabin in the Woods quite a bit, and also What We Do In The Shadows but that's not really horror so much as it's a fake documentary about vampires.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Society is a pretty cool mix of black humor and body horror, I like it a lot.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Tolkien minority posted:

I dont think any horror comedy has ever reached the perfect balance that Evil Dead 2 did, no matter how much I love some other entries in the genre

this, and american werewolf in london, are the best horror comedies i've seen. cabin in the woods is insane trash.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
most horror movies are pretty funny without being obvious about tho, so i dont think thereÄs much of a need for horror comedies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Having recently re-watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2, it's become one of my favorite horror comedies. A dude gets a chainsaw in the rear end and then sits under a table sorta lamenting about it.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

Having recently re-watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2, it's become one of my favorite horror comedies. A dude gets a chainsaw in the rear end and then sits under a table sorta lamenting about it.

This movie is super good. The soundtrack is also super good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil dead 2 is pitch perfect OP

edit: beaten

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Jason X was funny as gently caress but I'm not sure if that counts

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wont watch a Joss Whedon movie OP. gently caress you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Leprechaun series is pretty epic just don't watch the reboot with Hornswoggle

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I heard the sequel to the Kane horror movie was actually pretty good.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Plutonis posted:

The Leprechaun series is pretty epic just don't watch the reboot with Hornswoggle

Leprechaun in Space was amazing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Evil dead 2 is pitch perfect OP

edit: beaten

I like Army of Darkness more but I admit that in it the comedy/fantasy way outweights the horror

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Leprechaun in Space was amazing.
all i know about the Leprechaun series is this scene from Leprechaun in the Hood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhz2fVM1rMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

all i know about the Leprechaun series is this scene from Leprechaun in the Hood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhz2fVM1rMA

Lol

• Locked thread