Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've been thinking about Jungle Strike lately. What a badass game it was. It was so ahead of it's time. Really the whole strike series was cool, but Jungle strike was the one I had as a kid so it's the most memorable for me.

It was a goddamn early/mid gen Sega genesis game, but right out of the gate you are treated to a 3d model of an apache helicopter that shoots missiles straight into your face and flys through a Jungle, accompanied by a raging soundtrack. Hit start and there are pretty much full blown cutscenes and a super serious setup with terrorists blowing up an island. They even animated the reporters face which looks hilarious but I appreciate the effort. Then you actually start playing and it's basically a precursor to open world games, survival games and twin stick shooters. There are real missions. There's even destructible environments. Later on you get a hovercraft and iirc you can even get out and run around on foot.

Tbh I haven't played it in like 20 years so my memory is mostly running on nostalgia, but I remember the gameplay being really cool and frantic. Like, you were constantly fighting the clock and had to keep getting fuel and ammo while terrorists bombed things. The game didn't really wait around you. I remember it having a weirdly large amount of depth for the time.I was also terrible at it. I don't think I ever played the last level.

Check out this next level poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3FLmNIA1BE

Feel free to talk about Jungle Strike and other games that were way ahead of their time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's pretty much the same thing only JS was a little more ambitious. Desert Strike is probably more well known because it was the first one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mechanical Ape posted:

Was this the series that had Soviet Strike? I loved that game and still love it. They got live actors to do the intros and mini-briefings and they were actually pretty good. Not being able to save mid-mission is a pain, but you get a fair amount of flexibility in doing the objectives.

Hard as balls, though. I had to memorize pretty much the whole map and the hidden secrets to get enough ammo/fuel/lives to succeed. By the time you finish a mission, you are pretty much an expert in that mission.

Yeah soviet strike and nuclear strike were great too.

They came out in a time where games where catching up so they sort of had less of a wow factor but they were solid sequels.

I'm pretty sure you actually couldn't save in Jungle Strike though :lol: I have so many memories of starting the game over from the beginning. Although it's entirely possible I was just too stupid to figure out how to save.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually never got around to playing Future Cop.

That did remind me that there was a pretty sweet battletech Strike knockoff for Genesis though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Renegade ops gave me the same feels to some degree. I normally hate twin stick shooters but I loved it. It's not totally the same as Strike but it didn't feel as mindless as most twin stick games and I found myself enjoying it for a lot of the same reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_h4KUSdO0

Edit: Beaten while I was finding a Youtube video. :v: Play Renegade Ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Man the Strike series takes me back. I never played Urban Strike though and only ever managed to finish Soviet Strike somehow, which I'm led to believe is the hardest in the series so I dunno how that was the one game I did manage to beat.

How did Urban Strike turn out anyhow? It's the one game nobody ever talks about. Everyone talks about Desert Strike for starting the series, Jungle Strike for being an excellent sequel, Soviet Strike for bringing the series to 3D and Nuclear Strike for being the last in the series but I haven't heard anything about Urban Strike.

Urban Strike seems to be the least well received in the series. I actually remember thinking it wasn't very good as a kid but I couldn't even tell you why anymore.

• Locked thread