Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
:siren:Latest video(s):siren: Last Round/Polsy

What?
Enter The Gungeon is a roguelike that came out around April 2016 and it's a lot of fun. There's about 200 guns and 200 items, and most of them are puns on guns. It's an odd mix of bullet hell and dungeon crawler that offers a lot of replay value. I'm 150 hours in and I'm still not over it. There's some free DLC coming out SOON(tm) called the Supply Drop update but they've been saying "fall" since the end of fall soooo. At some point I'll be seeing new things too! and it's pretty cool.

Why?
The game is a bit difficult and I've seen rumblings here and there on folks looking for something that may be more informational, or help them with their Gungeon aspirations. My goal with this will be hopefully to help people get good! To that end, commentary is going to be largely informative stream of consciousness over the course of a fresh playthrough. That being said, if there's something going on that you're not sure about or need explained or want to figure out how/why I'm doing something, ask away! It will be addressed!

How?
I've usually got a pretty good update schedule but a full run will usually take around an hour, so each video will likely be about that long. It's a bit more time intensive as far as audio editing and I've got more social obligations than usual so I'M GONNA BE BUSY. I'd expect at least two videos a week, ideally. I'll be going through all of the characters and getting to secret stuff as it arises. And it will! After I do the four basic characters I might start a vote to show which character people want to see run next? Also I really have no idea of when I'll call this LP "finished" so we'll just be playing that by ear.

Videos!
A Brief Tutorial/Polsy
The First Run/Polsy
The Marine/Polsy
The Convict/Polsy
The Pilot/Polsy
The Hunter's Past/Polsy
The Convict's Past/Polsy
The Marine's Past/Polsy
One Floor Deeper/Polsy
A Very Active (Item) Run/Polsy
The Spicy Run/Polsy
Cut Short/Polsy
Curse This!/Polsy
Two Secrets of the Gungeon/Polsy
A Bullet and a Junk Walk Into A Bar.../Polsy
Rusty/Polsy
The Robot Mk3/Polsy
Totally Rad Run/Polsy
Shortcuts/Polsy
Jammed/Polsy
More Shortcuts!/Polsy
Mighty Casey Has Struck Out/Polsy
Gunnel Vision/Polsy
Gun Game/Polsy
Hardcore Mod/Polsy
Challenge Mode/Polsy
Klobberin' Time/Polsy
Boss Rush/Polsy
Last Round/Polsy

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Item profiles never wound up happening, go check the wiki.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 22, 2017

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Aw yes, ground floor on a Scruffy LP of one of my favorite games I'm bad at. Looking forward to this.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I've always wanted to try and play through this game. But I'm far too much of a scrub to even get past the first couple floors.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Goddammit. I'd just written off this game due to the Steam and Roguelikes threads saying it's not very good,when Scruffy decides to LP it. Guess I'll use the refund money to buy it again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bit of a disclaimer to anyone who likes roguelites/likes
This game has very few ways to game the system. Its fickle, swingy and hides the things that makes things easier behind skill checks (see: the health ups)

Its fun though, but it could be so much more

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
I was just thinking about getting this game. It'll be nice to have a chance to see what it's about!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like all the casings and debris that fly around during gunfights. I didn't notice, but are they persistent or do they disappear after a while?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

How long until the Guns'braster class is unlocked?

(I love LPs of games like this, so chill to just watch things play out.)

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
This is a real fine game. Haven't played it in a long while due to waiting for the Supply Drop update.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I am utter garbage at this game and I don't think watching this LP will make me any better.

I'm still going to watch it, I just don't think it'll make me any better.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hah, I knew those nerds complaining about how hard this game was were wrong. I mean, I just watched you one shot it so it can't be that hard!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
This looks both fun and frustrating at the same time.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Like many shmups and such, this game will likely kick my rear end.

Doesn't mean it isn't going to be fun, though! I look forward to learning the ins and outs of the game, dscruffy. Maybe I'll actually be able to beat it someday.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The ammo mechanic is pretty interesting. Makes for some nice weapon variety during runs, it looks like.

Also I'm kind of surprised that you can clear the game on a fresh save file. Well, I suppose it's not an actual clear. Looking forward to seeing what and how you can buy things in the hub.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
This game is so fun, wish the multiplayer was online though.

Also you not checking for mimics is stressing me out :v:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Looking forward to this. I was never able to make much progress in it.

"Kill the page. You've already damned the thread."

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
The dog barks at mimics!

Scruffy got two really good drops that run. The Megahand is a room clearer par excellence, combining high burst, high damage, and high accuracy as well as a ludicrous ammo count if you're only using charged shots like you should. It's also decently common. It, and its bigger sister, are good signs for any run. Notice how many enemies got blammed out of existence before they could be shown off because it's real real good at removing the most dangerous guy in the room before they can act.

The other was the speed up shoes. There are a couple passives that will grant speed, but they're much rarer than in a game like Binding of Isaac. Simply being able to get away and outpace a danger zone is a far bigger defensive boost than anything the red guon stone did.

The Composite Gun is a nice, very high DPS weapon with no frills, but it suffers from a common affliction of nearly all the high DPS guns. Super low ammo count.

Very well played, though. Flawlessing Ammoconda and Dragun both is top class, especially with the dearth of ammo drops that run. I do disagree about brown chests in the case that you know it's not a gun. Even low level passives are often worth a key.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
I've been waiting for someone to do this.

I've been playing this game for months and I'm still stuck on two bosses. :negative:

Also you should have called the thread Gungeon Masters Handbook just saying.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I'm glad you're showing this off. It's always seemed like it'd be right up my alley (being both into the genre in general and in the particular demographic that I get all the references), but the general Internet reaction has made me hold off. Seeing it in action suggests to me that the main complaint--ammo drops are vanishingly rare--may be true, but a playthrough is short enough that guns are more or less disposable.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I wanted to try this but it looks to be more difficult than Isaac and holy poo poo I'm bad at Isaac

So videos it is!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Thiss looks good, why have I not heard of it before.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There's a lot of love clearly put into this game despite it looking harder than Isaac which I'm pretty bad at without any kind of cheese.

Now if only there was something like this LP for Nuclear Throne...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Huh, never looked too closely at this, since it came out amidst a swathe of bullet-hell roguelikes, but this I may have to investigate further. Kinda reminds me of Nuclear Throne, except less punishingly difficult.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ooh, this game. I have a love-hate relationship with it. It's tough but fair MOST TIMES, but then there are just some parts of the game, some parts that are just... well, maybe I've never seen the strategy for beating them, but they just seem undoable.

I also am putting this together one side until the DLC. I thought it was supposed to be in the fall of '16, but I guess it was delayed?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I enjoyed this game, but ultimately felt it didn't have staying power because of all the repetition of early stages. Definitely happy to watch someone else play it though!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think you noticed it (which I don't blame you since not many people would), but the Composite Gun looks to be the plastic pistol used by John Malkovich in In The Line of Fire.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I was not ready for the amount of gun puns in this game.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Jade Star posted:

I was not ready for the amount of gun puns in this game.

I get the feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

There's a lot of love clearly put into this game despite it looking harder than Isaac which I'm pretty bad at without any kind of cheese.

Now if only there was something like this LP for Nuclear Throne...

I don't know if they're deliberately educational, but Smite has played a ton of Nuclear Throne on his channel. I picked up a few things from watching how he played.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I can definitely see how not having a lot of ammo drops could hurt you but I feel like a big part of the gun is using the guns you have, not the ones you want. There's some really lousy guns in the game but most anything is better than your starting pistol, and some weapons are actually really good for room clearing even if they are low quality or otherwise terrible. There's a few exceptions I'm sure we'll get to that are just absolutely lousy up and down. Like the pea shooter. Other guns can be situationally useful depending on whether they have active synergies or what passive you may have, the next run has a pair of rifles that do LOTS OF DAMAGE with a certain passive item. I'll even defend the T-shirt cannon, if you are in a room with bottomless pits the T-shirt cannon provides a lot of knockback. Sending ground enemies into the deeps is an easy guaranteed kill.

Speaking of the next run, I recorded it last night and I'm working on editing now. Might be some background notification noises and a rough cut due to a phone call but SOON.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think you noticed it (which I don't blame you since not many people would), but the Composite Gun looks to be the plastic pistol used by John Malkovich in In The Line of Fire.

I didn't recognize it but I can guarantee you that is the inspiration for that gun. There's quite a few guns that will have references to movies or other things and I hope to point them out when I see them. And yes, the gun puns are only just beginning.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 19, 2016

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

vdate posted:

I get the feeling we ain't seen nothin' yet.

Yeah, they kinda shot themselves in the foot there. There are a lot gun puns in this game. Almost everything in the game is gun or bullet shaped too.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

No Gravitas posted:

Yeah, they kinda shot themselves in the foot there. There are a lot gun puns in this game. Almost everything in the game is gun or bullet shaped too.

Was that pun intentional or an accidental discharge?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

White Coke posted:

Oh come on, you went in there half-cocked. You don't want to be a flash in the pan, do you?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

White Coke posted:

Samovar posted:

Oh come on, you went in there half-cocked. You don't want to be a flash in the pan, do you?

Oh, I already like where this is going! Now we are cooking off with guns!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I am primed for a slew of bad gpuns

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, we all know they'll be of a poor caliber.

In all seriousness, with the first video, I'll bring up my major gripes with this game:

1) Bosses are damage sponges.

Bosses are supposed to be tough. Well and good. But I think that the bastards in this game could have maybe 4/5 or 3/4 health, especially at the deeper dungeons, because you inevitably have gone through so much ammo (which you can't properly manage, because RNG dictates when you get drops). As it stands, you can be left with nowt but bad language against the big bads, and that simply isn't fun, just a slog.

2) Some bosses are unfair.

You encountered two of the least 'fair' bosses in this game (there's one more, but you didn't see them), specifically the Ammoconda and the High Priest. Why are they unfair? They have attacks that are not telegraphed; the former has lines of bullets that resemble the old snake game. These snakes can turn at 90 degree angles without warning, so a dodge that should take the player to safety can lead to damage. The second has single summoned bullets that come out of nowhere and follow a sine pattern. There's no indication where and when they come, you always need to look out, and they can be summoned on top of you. Considering that you need to take NO damage to get the master rounds, these moves are just unfair. Or so I feel.

As to the fire hand, I think you can fire it quicker by tapping the fire button. That might make it slightly better.

Also, I'd disagree with the brown chest/key decision on one condition. If the second chest has a gun, it can be worth it to crack the brown chest, the items are still usually good, certainly much better than the guns.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
Thank you for showing this, I did't really know what that game was about.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I love me some roguelites. Is this better or worse than Crypt of the Necrodancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

The Door Frame posted:

I love me some roguelites. Is this better or worse than Crypt of the Necrodancer?

I've never played Gungeon, and I'm terrible at Necrodancer, but I don't think that's a fair question. That's like asking if madden 20xx is a better sports game than fifa 20xx. They're both sports games, but that's where the similarities stop. Necrodancer is all about rhythm. It's on a grid and all you do is move up down left or right. There's a couple items for gear or bombs etc and that's about it. Just from the first video Gungeon looks more like a Binding of Issac style. You freely move in any direction, you aim 360 degrees with the mouse, you've got a major inventory investment in a plethora of guns and (i presume) passive items and bonuses. So they're both rouge-ish, but how they go about it is wildly different from each other.

• Locked thread