Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Just the Marine from my playthroughs. Haven't unlocked any additional characters (assuming there is any, but games like this always do), but so far, he's the only one to show any changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Just the Marine from my playthroughs. Haven't unlocked any additional characters (assuming there is any, but games like this always do), but so far, he's the only one to show any changes.

I will be shocked and amazed if this game does not have extra characters and secret levels.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
"I never saw The High Dragun until my 10th(???) run."

Eat my entire rear end, mister. :colbert:

I gave up on this game after playing for a month straight and getting to floor 3 like maybe twice. This game is incredibly hard. Gatling Gull and Ammoconda almost always ended my run full stop if I got unlucky and faced them as a floor boss.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

If you're playing through, here's a spoiler about unlocking things that I strongly recommend you look at to avoid frustration. In some rooms, very rarely, there will be a bulletkin wearing a red cape that doesn't attack you. Kill everything in the room except him and wait for a few seconds, and he'll leave. Doing that enough times unlocks a new character.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
One fun thing about the Hexagun that wasn't mentioned in the video, if you read the description its literally a sniper rifle that uses magic wands as ammo, draining them in a single shot. Which is why it can instantly kill things by turning them into chickens.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Vorpal Cat posted:

One fun thing about the Hexagun that wasn't mentioned in the video, if you read the description its literally a sniper rifle that uses magic wands as ammo, draining them in a single shot. Which is why it can instantly kill things by turning them into chickens.

Actually, the chicken thing doesn't kill the enemies (or rather, doesn't damage them) and that's why it can be such a great weapon.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Not only does the Hexagun get a damage bonus for being a rifle, but muscle relaxant actually gives it an extra +50% damage bonus on top of that.

Just want to chime in and say this is one of my favorite games for the year. Very much Dark Souls in that dying, learning enemy patterns and getting a feel for the items gives you a gradual learning experience until you can start taking down the main bosses consistently. Not only do you get a bonus heart when you defeat bosses without taking damage, clearing rooms without taking damage also gives you more money and raises the chance for an item drop slightly, so it typically rewards you for playing better.

Will you be showing off any of the Ammonomicon entries in full Scruffy?

Oh, and the soundtrack to this game is also one of the best of the year on top of it all.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It feels to me that the biggest balance issue for this game is lack of health drops. That it only drops health after a boss if you don't get hit punishes the type of player who needs the health drops the most. There's a reason that Binding of Isaac gives you a health up drop after nearly every boss fight: because most players need it to keep up with the curve. You should probably get an extra item or gun for going without being hit, akin to unlocking the devil room.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

JT Jag posted:

It feels to me that the biggest balance issue for this game is lack of health drops. That it only drops health after a boss if you don't get hit punishes the type of player who needs the health drops the most. There's a reason that Binding of Isaac gives you a health up drop after nearly every boss fight: because most players need it to keep up with the curve. You should probably get an extra item or gun for going without being hit, akin to unlocking the devil room.

As an addendum to that, have health pop in during boss encounters at some level of frequency when the player is not at max health. (Probably set health to spawn below 50% of maximum, and then no more than a full heart's worth.)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
To make matters worse, this is a game where you unlock weapons and powerups by being good at it. Consider the poor soul who struggles and dies a few dozen times before he can complete it once - he can't get the store that unlocks new guns and powerups and couldn't pay for them even if he got lucky. "Git Gud" is all very well, but your game has to be fun while you're Gitting otherwise you're just grinding your face against a brick wall.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I would've had it so that if you take damage during the boss, you get a health up, while if you get through unscathed, you get a cool weapon. It means those who need the help get it, while those who don't get to brag about it with their gun that shoots doves that explode into sharks.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
This game looks so fun to play but it has so many baffling and frustrating and nonsensical design choices that it's keeping me the hell away.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I bought the game because it looked super fun, and it turns out that the game is super fun. On the other hand I've only gotten to the second level so far because it's kicking my rear end, but still.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I would've had it so that if you take damage during the boss, you get a health up, while if you get through unscathed, you get a cool weapon. It means those who need the help get it, while those who don't get to brag about it with their gun that shoots doves that explode into sharks.

Since there is a gun based off a boss that exists in the game (and its real good) i would like it as a guaranteed drop for mo hitting that one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

One idea: if you take damage, you get a pedestal with a heath up on it. If you go unscathed, two pedestals pop up: one with a health up, one with a chest. The quality of the chest depends on what floor you're on. Floor one would be at minimum a blue chest with a chance of being better than that, and once you get to floor 4 it'd be at minimum a green chest with a chance of being better. If you pick the chest, the health disappears, and vice versa.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
That would be good, but also good would be getting guaranteed money drops from enemies. I hate that money can fall down pits and disappear, and the shop feels actively unhelpful sometimes due to the randomized nature of my income.

One of the best things about Necrodancer is that the shop always has at least 50g in it to bomb out, so even if it's the first room you find, it can still help you. That one detail helped me learn the game than more anything else, and the shop being so bad in this game is really disheartening. Also, a shooting range in the character select area with unlimited ammo would be nice, so I can test out a gun I picked up on any of my runs

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Loxbourne posted:

To make matters worse, this is a game where you unlock weapons and powerups by being good at it. Consider the poor soul who struggles and dies a few dozen times before he can complete it once - he can't get the store that unlocks new guns and powerups and couldn't pay for them even if he got lucky. "Git Gud" is all very well, but your game has to be fun while you're Gitting otherwise you're just grinding your face against a brick wall.

To be fair the store unlocks from an npc you rescue on floor 2, and since you only get hegemony credits from boss kills it would even make sense to have it unlocked till after you beat floor 1. The real silly design decision is being able to force shops to have keys. It doesn't actually make the game mechanicly harder or give the player any interesting disisions to make it just adds an extra barrier of knowledge for new players, aka the nethack school of game design.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

That would be good, but also good would be getting guaranteed money drops from enemies. I hate that money can fall down pits and disappear, and the shop feels actively unhelpful sometimes due to the randomized nature of my income.

If the money falls down the pit you just get it instantly as opposed to it having to float to you. It'll pop up over your duder's head.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Vorpal Cat posted:

To be fair the store unlocks from an npc you rescue on floor 2, and since you only get hegemony credits from boss kills it would even make sense to have it unlocked till after you beat floor 1. The real silly design decision is being able to force shops to have keys. It doesn't actually make the game mechanicly harder or give the player any interesting disisions to make it just adds an extra barrier of knowledge for new players, aka the nethack school of game design.
It's probably a bug, honestly, since it wasn't in the original release and was added to make things easier. (There is also a spoilery reason why it can be very frustrating not to have two keys on the first floor, and you only start with one.) The devs probably intended to guarantee a key if no key had dropped yet on the floor, but didn't realise that the difference between a key dropping and a key being picked up would shape optimal play.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the delay on new episodes. I've been going through the holidays and business and other issues and the absolute loving worst ~relationship drama~. This LP isn't on hiatus but I've got to get myself in the right mindset and I'm not there.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
No worries, dude.
Real life takes priority, so you do you. We'll still be here when you get back.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

dscruffy1 posted:

Sorry for the delay on new episodes. I've been going through the holidays and business and other issues and the absolute loving worst ~relationship drama~. This LP isn't on hiatus but I've got to get myself in the right mindset and I'm not there.

Do RL stuff first, videogame videos for the internet is not that important :v:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

dscruffy1 posted:

We'll still be here when you're ready to go on. Take care of yourself first.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What everyone has said. Homefront first, internet is secondary to all.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005
I've been having a lot of trouble since I have to use a controller. I'm left-handed, so mouse + wasd doesn't usually work for me, but on the controller it doesn't seem like you can just plop the crosshairs on a boss. I'm always having to constantly fight with one stick to aim while I'm dodging with the other and I'm getting wrecked pretty bad. I wonder if the people having a lot of difficulty are in a similar boat.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Mootiman posted:

I've been having a lot of trouble since I have to use a controller. I'm left-handed, so mouse + wasd doesn't usually work for me, but on the controller it doesn't seem like you can just plop the crosshairs on a boss. I'm always having to constantly fight with one stick to aim while I'm dodging with the other and I'm getting wrecked pretty bad. I wonder if the people having a lot of difficulty are in a similar boat.
I tried KB&M after playing 20h with a controller and found it harder (right handed). However, I feel like I'm progressively getting better so I think EtG just has a very steep learning curve.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I tried KB&M after playing 20h with a controller and found it harder (right handed). However, I feel like I'm progressively getting better so I think EtG just has a very steep learning curve.

Yeah, that might be it too. I find I play really impatiently and I probably could just wait for an opening to shoot instead of fighting with the crosshairs while I'm dodging and ending up getting hit. It just seems like the bosses are a huge slog if you play that way. Binding of Isaac may have gotten me a lot of bad habits for this game too. I wish that every time I moved, it didn't reset where I'm aiming though. I'd rather strafe!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Mootiman posted:

Yeah, that might be it too. I find I play really impatiently and I probably could just wait for an opening to shoot instead of fighting with the crosshairs while I'm dodging and ending up getting hit. It just seems like the bosses are a huge slog if you play that way. Binding of Isaac may have gotten me a lot of bad habits for this game too. I wish that every time I moved, it didn't reset where I'm aiming though. I'd rather strafe!
I'm not sure I get how you're playing, do you aim in a direction and then let go of the stick? Because then I can totally see how aim would reset. You can absolutely strafe if you keep the aim stick pulled in the direction you want to fire in. My co-op partner had the same problem, and if you're a PC KB&M player first it's probably going to come down to breaking a habit, sorry!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
After many attempts I finally managed to finish a run. On the other hand, I think I only managed to finish it because I found a black chest on the first floor, and the gun in that chest basically carried me through the whole game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

One idea: if you take damage, you get a pedestal with a heath up on it. If you go unscathed, two pedestals pop up: one with a health up, one with a chest. The quality of the chest depends on what floor you're on. Floor one would be at minimum a blue chest with a chance of being better than that, and once you get to floor 4 it'd be at minimum a green chest with a chance of being better. If you pick the chest, the health disappears, and vice versa.

Here's my ~wacky idea~

Random health drops, occasionally you just get a gun after you've killed an enemy.

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg
Fun to look at the steam achievements page for EtG: ~10% of people have beaten the dragun and ~7% have crafted the Bullet.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Isn't the steam average always something silly though? Like I wouldn't be surprised if I haven't played about half of my library.

E: Okay, nevermind. According to the achievement list 86% of players have completed the tutorial. Would have thought lower.
I mean, it looks like a great game and I very much enjoy the LP but it looks like a game I'd personally bounce off pretty hard if I tried to play it.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 28, 2016

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Teledahn posted:

I mean, it looks like a great game and I very much enjoy the LP but it looks like a game I'd personally bounce off pretty hard if I tried to play it.

:same:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Trick Question posted:

If the money falls down the pit you just get it instantly as opposed to it having to float to you. It'll pop up over your duder's head.

That's not made clear at all! But it's good to know. It took me 17 runs to get to the second boss, so I believe the Steam average.
Also, take all of the time that you need to, we'll wait

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Wish I'd seen this before! Gungeon is a Good Game, though I only know it from a friend of mine streaming it. It could just bet hat he's good at it.

For what I'd recommend, it's far too late now, but I like what Psychedelic Eyeball did with Spelunky. He'd deal with an area in a video, and then "happen to" die in an amusing or demonstrative way in the next one, where it really showed how hard the game can be and how easy it is to get owned if you drop your guard for a second. The next video, he'd progress through that area, only to "coincidentally" die in the next one, thus gradually exploring the different floors and options the game presents while also giving a chance to show how difficult it could be.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Valgaav posted:

Wish I'd seen this before! Gungeon is a Good Game, though I only know it from a friend of mine streaming it. It could just bet hat he's good at it.

For what I'd recommend, it's far too late now, but I like what Psychedelic Eyeball did with Spelunky. He'd deal with an area in a video, and then "happen to" die in an amusing or demonstrative way in the next one, where it really showed how hard the game can be and how easy it is to get owned if you drop your guard for a second. The next video, he'd progress through that area, only to "coincidentally" die in the next one, thus gradually exploring the different floors and options the game presents while also giving a chance to show how difficult it could be.

I had a game yesterday where I died on the second floor, so it still happens :v:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
What an excellent commentary on the political struggle to implement a long-gun registry.

Although I tell ya, the gubmint can take my gatling lobster when they pry it from my cold, dead hands

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

dscruffy1 posted:

I had a game yesterday where I died on the second floor, so it still happens :v:

RNGESUS :argh:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Uggggh this year is the absolute loving worst. On the bright side my relationship issues are over, on the downside that is because I am now single. Merry loving Christmas.

Here's a video!

The Convict/Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I absolutely despise playing as The Convict. I am the most cautious, long range, player ever

• Locked thread