Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

Uggggh this year is the absolute loving worst. On the bright side my relationship issues are over, on the downside that is because I am now single. Merry loving Christmas.

Here's a video!

The Convict/Polsy

Cast in the name of Gun, ye not guilty.

Also, jesus christ the Barrel. I had to pause the video because of that one.

I am considering picking up this game now. I am not particularly great at action roguelikes, but it looks fun and has charm I like to it, unlike another action roguelike where you cry at poop. Also, this latest run shows just how much the RNG gods can hate you or love you. Been playing a turnbased RL, Guild of Dungeoneering, and it's amazing how much RNG can either completely save your run, or completely ruin it. Both in equal amounts, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
...The pun just hit me.

...Winchester.

...Win-chester.

goddamnit, Gungeon, even I cringed at that

E: Also, scruffy, you've mixed in your commentary a bit too early- I could tell you've been hit a few seconds before I saw it, because I'd hear you grumble.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 29, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

How do the active items recharge?

Picked up the game due to enjoying the first videos, I'm quite bad though - usually die to the first boss, occasionally die to the 2nd floor.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Its too bad dscruffy can't show it off but there use to be a way to break the game using cigarettes and the elder blank. You used to be able to use cigarettes during the invincibility frames from getting damaged to get free coolness, and once it got high enough you get multiple cigarettes off during that window. You could get your coolness so high that your active items would have no cool down and could be spammed as fast as you could hit the button, which as you can imagine was kind of game breaking with the right active items.

Nowadays active items have a hard cap on how low the cooldown can get and cigarettes are locked out whenever you take damage until your I-frames are up.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Watching this LP made me go back and play the game some more. I still suck, and can only make it to level 3 about 50% of the time, and never passed that point.

Looks like I'll continue to live the dream through the exploits of Scruffy. Also, sorry to hear about your real life dramas. Never fun stuff.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Hey happy screw-this year.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, gonna make my second attempt at the Gungeon. Currently playing as the Pilot.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I won my first master round today. Oddly, as the pilot, who I think is my weakest character. I can usually beat a boss with only 1-2 hits, but hadn't gone without any hits until now.

Perhaps I am improving. I think just getting better at recognizing when a dodge roll won't cut it and I need to use a blank is probably most of it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sorry the suckiness of this year hits on a personal level to boot Scruffs.

I too find the Convict to be the weakest character. What makes her a bit more irritating is the fact that she's the best character to kill the past first out to of all the other candidates.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't think that there's much else that you can do to make the LP more informative or helpful towards newer players, you're already explaining mechanics and strategies that the game itself is completely mum on, which is extremely helpful. The only real question I still have about the game is about the mechanics of coolness, but after the first couple of runs, most other things need to be practiced and the boss fights definitely help

I think a good deal of the frustration being expressed in the thread is because when we see the video, it looks much, much easier than it actually is. This second one may not be true for everyone, but we have also learned optimal play strategies, like avoiding brown chests and purchasing keys before picking up drops, which can take a bit of the joy out of the game.
Like, my biggest gripe in learning this game was about money and the shop. However, I'm upset at the shopkeeper because he basically only sells me keys on my runs, not because he's actually unhelpful. I know that it's better to use him to get a key and gamble on higher level chests rather than to buy most items he has for sale on the first or second levels, so finding him isn't exciting like I know that it should be

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man I don't want to pile on in the face of all your other stuff but jeez.. you got resourceful ratted dude

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

dscruffy1 posted:

Uggggh this year is the absolute loving worst. On the bright side my relationship issues are over, on the downside that is because I am now single. Merry loving Christmas.

Here's a video!

The Convict/Polsy

Hey, man, thanks for doing this LP. I never knew about this game, would probably be very bad at it, so it's fun to watch a skilled playthrough with good commentary.
I went through some similar personal poo poo this year and have now shifted to a new city full of old friends and just landed a new, better job that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to take otherwise. Things will get better despite the pain you are feeling now.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Oh hey sweet I only just noticed this LP now, it's a lot of fun to watch but I do not have the motor skills for bullet hell games (I know it isn't one but that Dragun(alsofuckoffwiththepuns)fight is totally a bullet hell). You're real good at this and are reminding me of when I was in that phase of being really good at Binding of Isaac.

I kid I love these puns, I want to play this game but don't at all at the same time

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

You think Hoji is gonna want his mask back?

I'm sure there's a million other Devolver Easter eggs in this game if I just look close enough, this one just stood out to me.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

IMJack posted:

You think Hoji is gonna want his mask back?

I'm sure there's a million other Devolver Easter eggs in this game if I just look close enough, this one just stood out to me.
Hell, there's at least one more Shadow Warrior easter egg, but I won't spoil it.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

I don't think that there's much else that you can do to make the LP more informative or helpful towards newer players, you're already explaining mechanics and strategies that the game itself is completely mum on, which is extremely helpful. The only real question I still have about the game is about the mechanics of coolness, but after the first couple of runs, most other things need to be practiced and the boss fights definitely help

I think a good deal of the frustration being expressed in the thread is because when we see the video, it looks much, much easier than it actually is. This second one may not be true for everyone, but we have also learned optimal play strategies, like avoiding brown chests and purchasing keys before picking up drops, which can take a bit of the joy out of the game.
Like, my biggest gripe in learning this game was about money and the shop. However, I'm upset at the shopkeeper because he basically only sells me keys on my runs, not because he's actually unhelpful. I know that it's better to use him to get a key and gamble on higher level chests rather than to buy most items he has for sale on the first or second levels, so finding him isn't exciting like I know that it should be

This is very true. There's another roguelike-ish game that got LP'd recently, Darkest Dungeon. Tried to load that back up, and... well... yeah. I uninstalled it shortly thereafter. Like, I could LP Guild of Dungeoneering and make the game look far easier than it is, just simply because I know the mechanics well enough. In fact, I sort of experienced that when I convinced one of my friends who streams to do the game one week. He was not thrilled at that.

That said, I'm still probably going to grab Gungeon. It looks to be an action game I can enjoy, even if some of the mechanics are bullshit. Or should I say bullshot?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I decided to pick this up and try it and as it turns out, I am nowhere near as good at this game. :v:

Got owned by the gorgun on my first run.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Piercing fish that stun

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Like ow dude this marlin just busted clean through my sternum I think I need 5

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Piercing bullets seem really good from an ammo efficiency standpoint alone.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I think, going back to this game again, that the most important lesson I have learned (besides don't open brown chests with keys) is that if i have to choose between knowing where i'm shooting and where my character is, the character comes first, accuracy second.

Edit: and of course minutes after I wrote that I opened a brown chest for a key without even looking at it. I think I have a bad habit.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 31, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Made my second run and did even worse!

I got my poo poo pushed in by the first two rooms and ended up with 1.5 hearts left for the rest of the first floor. I managed to pick up half a heart at the shop, but only got one gun (the Phoenix) and some Armor of Thorns before the Bullet King. I don't think I even got through half his health.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Probably been pointed out, but steam sale, game is 50% off if the lp's got you interested in it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Jade Star posted:

Probably been pointed out, but steam sale, game is 50% off if the lp's got you interested in it.

Yep, the bug just bit me. Good deal for it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Should have waited to pick it up, Oh well

SkyTalon2314 posted:

This is very true. There's another roguelike-ish game that got LP'd recently, Darkest Dungeon. Tried to load that back up, and... well... yeah. I uninstalled it shortly thereafter. Like, I could LP Guild of Dungeoneering and make the game look far easier than it is, just simply because I know the mechanics well enough. In fact, I sort of experienced that when I convinced one of my friends who streams to do the game one week. He was not thrilled at that.

That said, I'm still probably going to grab Gungeon. It looks to be an action game I can enjoy, even if some of the mechanics are bullshit. Or should I say bullshot?

Don't let a little salt dissuade you, it's a very fun game, but it is not forgiving

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

SkyTalon2314 posted:

A big thing to remember about Gungeon is that it's a bullethell first, roguelike second.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Glazius posted:

Piercing bullets seem really good from an ammo efficiency standpoint alone.

It can, however, reduce some guns to complete ineffectivity. Like those who are dependent on registering a hit to explode.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Samovar posted:

It can, however, reduce some guns to complete ineffectivity. Like those who are dependent on registering a hit to explode.

In most games with piercing projectiles explosive projectiles instead explode on every target they come into contact with. Imagine how awesome that would be...

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Tarezax posted:

In most games with piercing projectiles explosive projectiles instead explode on every target they come into contact with. Imagine how awesome that would be...

Unfortunately this isn't one of those games :v: both bouncy bullets and ghost bullets can really screw up some weapons that rely on contact to work.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, I've ditched ghost bullets at least once because I got a gun that it completely messed with. Thankfully you can ditch items you don't want anymore, unlike in Isaac where you're stuck with every passive you pick up.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tarezax posted:

Yeah, it's really surprising that there isn't a boss with that gimmick.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

senrath posted:

Yeah, I've ditched ghost bullets at least once because I got a gun that it completely messed with. Thankfully you can ditch items you don't want anymore, unlike in Isaac where you're stuck with every passive you pick up.

There is, however, one great gun that becomes nigh unstoppable with the ghost bullets.

Don't wanna talk about it since we've not seen it, tho.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Thanks for that, copped it

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I'm pretty trash at roguelikes and bullethells alike.

But I still got the game because 50% off was enough, and I might as well bite the bullet :rimshot:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Do you plan to show what happens when you shoot up the store? Also did you know you can fall down the elevator shaft once the bullet elevator drops you off on a floor?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Doseku posted:

Do you plan to show what happens when you shoot up the store? Also did you know you can fall down the elevator shaft once the bullet elevator drops you off on a floor?

I wasn't really planning on shooting up the store but I'm sure it'll happen at some point. I'm holding off on the elevator shaft for a while, because reasons.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Bought the game for myself and thankfully it runs very smoothly. It reminds me of the online mmo Realm of the Mad God; one of my all time favorites. But without the stress lag! Its thankfully just as hard and unforgiving as that game is as well.
Although I do have a question: I recall an enemy that would continuously spawn other enemies if left alone. Can this be abused for lots and lots of casings?

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 1, 2017

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
The G(un M)ummy raises a jammed that will run at you but I don't think you get casings from the jammed?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Or is it Sputnik posted:

The G(un M)ummy raises a jammed that will run at you but I don't think you get casings from the jammed?

The jammed actually give you more casings but that one probably doesn't drop any because it'd be too easily farmable otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
People are complaining about how the game handles difficulty but it is actually one of the things that I absolutely endorse. What you need to understand about difficulty first and foremost that it is always relative to player skill, a beginner might have trouble with the most basic things while a pro will just breeze through the game. The second thing to keep in mind is that player skill is not static, players will be getting better and better as they play, making the game feel easier with time. By rewarding players that are doing well and giving them more resource what you are doing is amplifying the learning curve effect. Not only is the game easier because the player goes up in skill but the game also gets easier itself in response to that. This creates a much bigger sense of progression, creating a breaking point where the player is suddenly making tons of progress with each run where as before he would barely be making it to the second floor.

The fact that scruffy mentioned a "click"moment in one of his videos is no coincidence, Gungeon was designed for it.

• Locked thread