Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

That would be good, but also good would be getting guaranteed money drops from enemies. I hate that money can fall down pits and disappear, and the shop feels actively unhelpful sometimes due to the randomized nature of my income.

If the money falls down the pit you just get it instantly as opposed to it having to float to you. It'll pop up over your duder's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

GeneralYeti posted:

Don't pick up keys until you've reached the shop. Even if one spawns, as long as you don't pick it up the shop is guaranteed to have a key for sale. Opening chests isn't a problem.

Unless the shop is locked.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

RedWraith posted:

Yes. A Gungeon run is more like 'Well, I've got an hour to waste' and Isaac is more like 'Ugggh there goes my evening'. It also doesn't "hurt" as much getting killed in Gungeon because wherever you are it never feels that far from the start. It's "only" five floors after all. In comparison failing an Isaac run on a later level often feels like gambling away your firstborn.

This is the opposite of my experience. An isaac run I can finish in, like, half an hour if I find good items, forty minutes if it's bad. Most gungeon runs I've seen online are at least an hour minimum.

I also don't think it's fair to complain about isaac loving you if you don't know what items do beforehand when gungeon does the same, but permanently; if you don't look at a wiki and accidentally buy a piece of garbage with your hegemony credits, that garbage is in your loot tables forever. Isaac adds trash to you loot table, too, but at least you didn't have to buy it with an extremely limited pool of trash sight-unseen.

Isaac will also occasionally give you red hearts, while empty heart containers in gungeon are basically a running total of how many times you've hosed up and serve no other purpose.

For reference, I've played Gungeon for like... I think 50 hours but steam says 16? Anyway, never made it past the fourth floor.

...I do wonder if the reason I'm negative towards this game but not Isaac is because I played Nuclear Throne between those two and feel that NT is sort of the platonic ideal of this sort of game.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm not even talking about permanent health ups, I'm just talking about health. Granted, health ups aren't really more valuable than straight health in this game.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

senrath posted:

While red hearts aren't nearly as prevalent as they are in Isaac, you definitely get them as drops and from certain items in Gungeon.

Oh I'm sure they technically can drop. I'm sure it's technically possible to play this game without getting resource hosed, but I've never had it happen.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

senrath posted:

I think you're drastically overemphasizing how many times you've gotten hosed over in Gungeon vs how often it happens in Isaac.

Well, I can't say anything to that other than "I think you're wrong, I think I have gotten hosed over repeatedly." I'm not gonna record my runs to prove you wrong.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Alright, I hate to admit it, but after playing a bit longer I actually like this game and think it's good. Maybe the drop rate has been adjusted upward from when it first launched? And I think the beta content helps.

Just got my first victory against the dragun after who-knows-how-many deaths, probably at least 40-50. Granted, I sort of got carried by (don't know if these have show up yet, I'm not caught up on the videos)the BFG and the betrayer's gun.

So, thanks scruffy. You made me enjoy this game after... however long it's been since it was released of not.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Olpainless posted:

Look at the top row of bricks. It's still visible.

I zoomed in in paint. Not a rigorous analysis, but I'm sure that's the exact same color as the rest of the "top of the wall" bricks.

Unless you mean the top row that's still room-facing, which isn't visible on the side or bottom walls either.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Okay, I'm not saying the people who said that secret walls are colored differently earlier were hoaxing, and those pictures were convincing. But:

Man, I'm just not seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Dooky Dingo posted:

I must be the only one that digs the convict, then.
Yeah, her starting pistol only has 5 shots, but it does decent enough damage and has a relatively quick reload time, and the shotgun is nice to have as a backup.
The real kicker, for me, is the molotov starter, where I can just say "Oh, look a densely packed sphere of angry things, time to set them all on fire." and walk away.
I just like having the extra damage, but YMMV. :shrug:

I love the convict's starting pistol, it's actually pretty competitive if you get some accuracy upgrades. Definitely my favorite starting character, it's hard to deal with the other starting pistols after using her.

• Locked thread