Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Out of curiosity, have you really gotten a full clear on each of your first four games, or is there editing magic and copied savefiles? Also you've gotten a good boss variety in just four runs, are they coded to shuffle or just luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nalesh posted:

I just wanna say I'm sad that you didn't make the Pilot episode the first episode :v:

Now now, this is gun puns, not TV ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

rchandra posted:

I was wondering if you could just cheat everything with the Shield/Turtle combo until you showed you can't hide under the shield forever.

Any reason not to be using those munchers? Seemed like you have more guns than you need by then.

"might need it later" worries. Ammo wasn't a concern in this run, he kept finding more right as his standby guns ran out, but remember in the first run he was down to the dregs against the High Dragun. The muncher trades two guns worth of ammo for one and it may not even be good. I don't think it's useful unless you're stuck with REALLY bad guns or are desperate for more ammunition.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That version of LotR was the Ralph Bakshi version btw, a version long reviled for weird animation (it was all rotoscoped, giving it a weird uncanny valley look) and the fuzzy slippers Balrog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kylnv0eTsGc

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

I never thought I'd find something that made Jackson's Warhammer reject Balrog look cool by comparison,but there we go.

Yeah, Bakshi's LotR movie is... something. I got it in a "trilogy" pack with the Rankin/Bass Hobbit and RotK and the shift in animation style/quality is quite jarring.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I *just* got the joke for the guards outside the Gungeon. A polearm is basically just a stick with a sword on the end, so of course in the Gungeon they only replace the end bit.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Aerdan posted:

As for body hair, there are men with relatively little body hair (I should know, I'm one of them).

That's okay, I've got enough for two. I think my great-grandpa was a wookie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I got the game for the half off, and on my second attempt I got the Fitesaber. That thing is incredible, and teaches all SORTS of bad habits. Now I keep forgetting to dodgeroll.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Just started playing Enter the Gungeon for the first time because of the update and the sale. Dang, this game. It's really hard to keep up with all the keys you have to keep in mind at all times. Remembering your dodge roll is hard enough (you also have to get used to dodge rolling aggressively--- rolling away can get you hit or, even if you time it right, you can end up pinned in a corner), remembering to reload is an early challenge, and remembering to blank is a big problem for me. Oh sure I can get out of this jam by dodging OH NOPE.

I've mapped blank and reload to my mouse's two thumb buttons, just because I want to use them quickly while moving

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Man, every time I get a good gun I blindly sidestep into bullets.

...every time I get a bad gun I blindly sidestep into bullets. This game is a lot easier when I'm just watching.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Samovar posted:

An interesting... bug? I guess? You can go to the 6th chamber before doing the past of the bonus characters.

Because those bonus characters didn't used to have pasts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Skrewtape posted:

Since you died, do the things you accomplished count? Like the caped guys you saved, and the guns you put in the muncher, or the bulletkin you killed towards the hunting quest? If they do still count, what did you lose by dying to the lich there?

Yes. What you lose is pride.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Beat the Dragun for the first time after 60 deaths. Full Metal Jacket (auto-blank when hit) and the Elder Blank are an incredible combo, and let me use the Balloon Gun (great weapon, but if you're hit it pops) for room clearing quite well.

One thing I find satisfying about this game is that there aren't many truly bad weapons or items. Even most of the brown chest stuff has *some* use. A single good gun or good item can hold you pretty well, and if you get ones that synergize (whether hard-coded or just by their nature) it only gets better. For Isaac it always felt like you needed one of the good combos to even bother playing a run.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

110 deaths in I finally succeeded in a Prime Primer run. 113 deaths, and I killed the Marine's past. One down, three to go. The Primer runs were where I first started feeling like "unfair" difficulty, but unlike Isaac, that was because of me handicapping myself (no shop, no chests first floor to hit the Oubliette for enough money, et cetera) or just getting so stressed out my gameplay suffered. I couldn't count on having enough keys for chest loot, so I had to git gud. Of course, as soon as I turned in the primer I died to something stupid, but at least it was on my own terms again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I am getting better at the game; I only took one stupid hit from Gatling Gull earlier in his library arena when I assumed he was not jumping on top of me but would have easily gotten the Master Round otherwise, corner shooting is so good when you can do it. Later that run I took plenty of hits from Gorgun but the Jolter was still quite effective. I rescued Cursula who showed up on the third floor immediately and I bought Wax Wings and the Shotgun Full of Love from her. The only reason I didn't make it to the boss was a stupid Gunzookie bullet, I had a bunch of pretty nice guns.

Here's a question though: Gun Friendship or Double Vision? I don't have a creeper to make this easier.

Double Vision recharges twice as fast, Gun Friendship is 30% more damage while active assuming everything hits and faster reloads. Either one's gonna be a nice boost.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Winners do drugs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xarn posted:

Started bullet shark hunt and found one (1) in 5 runs.

gently caress you too game.

I'm on that too. Are bullet sharks just the big ones or do the small count?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I was on my chess team in high school, and bad play was sorta my strategy. I couldn't look nearly as deep into one strategy as other players and had no luck learning the standard book openings/plays, but I seemed to be able to look 2-3 moves ahead on the entire board better than they could. So my goal was to look for moves that weren't bad, but were non-ideal enough to take me off-book and force them to stop making reflex plays. It's amazing how easily someone can overlook a random bishop stuck across the board 10 moves ago.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

So, is there some condition for the caped bulletkin to start appearing? Do you have to beat the lich? I swear I have yet to see any in many, many runs.

Also, I haven't seen my good friend the junk buddy in a long time either, was something changed about its frequency or have I just been hideously unlucky?

The caped bulletkin allegedly starts appearing after clearing one past, but I think I saw my first after killing the Dragun. They're rare, though, and easy to miss even after you shoot em.

Junk buddy, if you've killed a boss with him at level 4+ and "unlocked" him, goes from a 20% spawn chance down to 5%, but can also be in blue chests or shops.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. I've been in one stage production (Fiddler on the Roof in high school) and of course on closing night I botched my only line.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Silencer shoots zippers, the bane of any pillowfight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

Saving your trump card for a moment where it will do the best good feels really good, until you die before you can use your trump card. I HAVEN'T REACHED THAT POINT YET.

I just failed at the Bullet's past because I got cocky and tried to hang onto my blank for a little longer. Almost got im, too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When I picked this up: "man, I'm dying before the first boss. I'm terrible at this game."
60 hours of play later: "man, I'm trying to do the Bullet's past, have made it to the Lich once but I keep dying on floor 4 or 5. I'm terrible at this game."

Standards shift.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

This run went pretty well but I've got to get my commenting mojo back. I just haven't felt it the last few runs. Also I almost died on the first floor!

A Bullet and a Junk Walk Into A Bar.../Polsy

You had another chest, Scruffy. When the d-pad runs out of ammo it spawns one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BTW Skippy, after four attempts I cleared the Bullet's past last night, thanks to the strategy of "unbridled aggression" from your stream. Once you stop treating his attacks like a hand grenade and learn the safe (-ish) spots you can get in a lot more hits. Thanks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It should have been one n in Canon. Then you not only get the gun pun, but one n is the canonical spelling of his name.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

What do you need to do to get Ox's arm to show up?

I've gone down to level 5 a few times, seen the whole map, nothing there.

I've talked to him and he'll say that he lost his arm in the walls below, but that's it.

Talk to the blacksmith about it, she'll drop the arm

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I can't imagine anything ever going wrong in a Jade Star LP.

Definiterly not any ONE thing, at least.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Samovar posted:

Now, can the game be played in this quasi-isometric form?

I want Gungeon-Quake

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I would like the robot more if hearts gave armor (only 1 armor for half/full heart) or they removed them from the drop table entirely. Make it a gimmicky curse-ish run rather than this no-hit extreme RNG.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You can officially say you killed the Lich with the Rogue Special.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

amishjosh posted:

Finally got around to picking the game up due to your lp. I've done reasonably well, learning the boss patterns is what's been ending most of my runs, but it is getting better. I can't remember, but did you have any runs where you ran into the shadow magician? All of a sudden I've hit him like every other run the last six or seven runs. Not terribly difficult, but a bit of a surprise the first time I wandered in and saw him.

Anyone know what this door is? I've run into it twice in a row now, wasn't able to enter the first time, it booted me out and took a half heart. Just ran into it again on the next run.

It's a grand market. Need at least one curse or 100 shells to enter. All the shopkeeps are there with half price items.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

I'm really liking the concept of the Fellowship of Ser Junkan. Get every companion plus a level one Junkan, then go on an epic quest to level him up and defeat the Gungeon. Also, you aren't allowed to fire your gun! :v:

Except to pop chests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zore posted:

One final question; what the hell does the owl companion do? I think we saw and you explained most of the others.

Great LP btw.

He'll do occasional small-area blanks.

• Locked thread