Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Lazy Bear posted:

The Mine Flayer is actually a Dungeons and Dragons reference. Illithids, or 'Mind Flayers', are squid-headed humanoid monstrosities with terrible psychic domination powers. They also grapple onto the heads of victims they can't, or don't want to, dominate and suck their brain out through their skull.

And yes, trap sprung.

The Mine Flayer name is specifically a reference to Mind Flayers, yeah. From what I recall his business with the bell is some sort of Dark Souls or Bloodborne reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

Supply drop has made this game much more charitable, I think that the devs took their critics' words to heart

What Master Rounds has Scruffy turned in so far?

I know for sure I've gotten 1, 2, 3, and 5. I may have gotten 4 on one run, but I haven't gotten them all in a single run for the LP yet. There's a special unlockable for that.

As for the elevator, it requires a lot of money/keys so I'm trying to get through the secret floor to build up more money first.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I think my biggest issue in the game right now is that I can't really progress.

I can't even unlock the first shop to spend my Credits, because I keep dying on the second floor, making what I do moot. :sigh:

What kills you on the second floor? Seems like it's probably regular enemies, is there one in particular that is causing issues?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Good news, I recorded another run where I died! I didn't even make it to Bullet Hell.

Even better news, I forgot to record video! So I'll record again soon with the Convict.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

Managed to get master round on treadnaught on my first go (yay!) - Had Shades' Pistol as a drop, so that was cool

Where does it keep your record of all the times you've died? I didn't see it in the ammonomicon.

You'll see your total number of deaths next to the skull under YOU DIED. This is from my most recent run where I forgot to record video for the episode! I don't believe it appears in the Ammonomicon in general, just when you die or beat the game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
One reason for elevator usage is that some of the bounty hunts you get are for enemies that only appear on certain floors, like Lead Maidens or Shelletons. Also on floors below two, you get a pick of a few weapons at the start.

Even if I am only starting with the pistol, killing Lead Maidens immediately instead of spending 10 minutes going through the first floor is pretty much the way to go.

Apoligies for no video yet, my last attempt crashed because I was drunk and forgot to record video, and I've been in sort of a depression spiral since then which I am currently coming out of. I'll get another one...eventually!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Haven't unlocked the Makeshift Cannon, but from the Wiki it looks like it would probably one-shot a boss. Does anyone in this thread actually have it unlocked? I've played this game to the point that I've unlocked everything besides the last few hunting quest guns and am still only part way through the one that requires me to kill 30 Shelletons. Did people actually grind out that quest using the shortcuts or just use a cheat engine or something?

I ground it out using elevators and letting ammomancers resummon shelletons. As long as there's at least one other enemy the ammomancer will summon up to three, so you can get through it on four fourth floor trips.

The makeshift cannon doesn't recognize the DPS cap and does bonkers damage to bosses, the downside being that it only has one shot. If you can find a way around that, say with something like duct tape, you are set for life. I duct taped it to a charge shot and chumped every single boss in about two hours.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I guess my prediction of two videos a week was a bit optimistic, but y'know, I've had a lot of things go on since I started the thread. Anyway! New run! This time I recorded everything!

The Spicy Run/Polsy

Who's next to ENTER THE GUNGEON?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Obligatum VII posted:

Edit 2: Here's a challenge run for Scruffy that I would love to see: Reset until you get Casey in the first floor shop. Buy it and then complete a full run using only the bat. Given it does not have ammo and there's nothing you absolutely could not kill with it (though there are certainly varying degrees of difficulty in that endeavor), I think it'd make for a pretty interesting scenario.

I had a pretty hot run with Cog of Battle using Casey, managed to get to Lich phase 2 largely using only it for floor clearing and some for boss fighting. That thing is a monster, I almost got the Dragun's heart in one cycle with it.

Skippy is wrong and Casey is amazing.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

So, apparently Gun Reaper can get jammed. That's neat. I mean, I know anyone can get jammed, but to see it...

I have a question about two things we haven't seen in the LP yet, specifically, but it is just item stuff. Does the Rad Gun synergize with the Cog of War?

For those who haven't seen it yet, the Cog is a passive that adds a little tick mark to your reload bar. If you click reload or fire when the line gets to the mark, you get a bonus to damage and possibly fire speed (and a faster reload too, I guess). As long as you keep reloading and getting the timing right, you keep the bonus

The Rad Gun is a gun that wears sunglasses and a backwards baseball cap. It has this gimmick baked into it, but each successive good reload increases the bonus. I don't know the numbers, but it does get faster/more powerful up to at least 3 levels. The bonus timing also gets faster as you go up in levels.

It's not great for boss fights, as I tend to need to focus on other things like not getting hit, but if that stacks I can only imagine the bonus.

I believe the Rad Gun can stack up its power infinitely, but reloading past 5 or 6 is pretty much a chore. It is a really good room clearing weapon, fire off a few shots and reload up to four before you start a new room and watch the fireworks fly. If you can manage to get up to 8 reloads the damage gets downright insane.

There's not a specific synergy between the two like there is for having Trashcannon and Junk, but the two do have mechanical effects that will occur together.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I'm on that too. Are bullet sharks just the big ones or do the small count?

Both big and small ones count for that hunting quest.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I deleted my commentary again but it shouldn't take so long to deal with it this time around, considering I have already recorded the extra commentary with a special friend!

But that's not this video! :v:

Cut Short/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CzarChasm posted:

So...Protip: Don't open glitchy chests

I don't know what the actual chances of seeing one are, I'm guessing low. Like 1% kind of low. It's a bad time.

I've played the game for 150+ hours and seen one glitched chest. I've seen three or four rainbow chests.

They're really rare is what I'm saying. Super rare.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So I kinda deleted my commentary before I could edit it again, and so I got another very special guest. Maybe one that these random guys on Youtube comments don't hate as much as kalonZombie or Great Joe! Also I'm a little drunk for it but that has pretty much turned into my weekend plans sooooo

Curse This!/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

It actually fixed itself after they go to the next floor.

E: And then it happens again, but this time the cocommentators are in sync but both ahead of the video. Does it desync per floor or something?

I'm not sure where the desync starts exactly but it was sometime on the fourth floor. I resynched after Wallmonger and then do it again right before the lich fight. I really have no idea what caused it but I'm not going to fix it by uploading a new video and hopefully not delete my commentary again :v:

I feel bad for having the audio issues but honestly I've got no time to fix it. I've hardly got time to record a thing as-is.

On the bright side tonight was the opening night for the musical I'm in (Legally Blonde) and it went super well! Also I'm now dead because of lack of sleep and will probably sleep for like 12 hours and maybe??? record tomorrow.

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 24, 2017

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

GeneralYeti posted:

Oh hey, we did that musical for one of the high school productions I played in. Are you a cast member or in the pit orchestra?

I'm a cast member in a community theater, we're using show-tracks for the music. I've only got small parts in this one, mostly ensemble and Aaron Schultz. But apparently people are pretty impressed by singing while jump roping, director says it sounds like I'm standing still and singing with the projection. I'm a loud mouth yessssss

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SkyTalon2314 posted:

I dunno. Given that I mentally picture Scruffy as, well, Scruffy like his avatar, I would be rather amused by this.

I mean, heck, back in Shakespear's times they DID have dudes playing the ladies. Romeo and Juliet was a guy and another guy who was in drag smoochin'.

I'm actually not very scruffy. I'm in the military so I'm clean shaven and I have close cropped hair. Though conveniently with the dudes playing ladies conversation, the next show I'm in is Peter and the Starcatcher, and I will be playing Mrs. Bumbrake, a proper British dame.

Also I recorded more today and I should have that episode ready...SOON.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

White Coke posted:

Scruffy, is everyone else in your community theater production of Legally Blonde also in the military?

We've got about five active duty folks and one more retired in this production. Most of the cast and crew is filled out by dependents or civil service folks.

My first show was a cast of 13 with 2 active duty (myself included), second show was about twice as large with three active duty.

mandatory lesbian posted:

honestly i was talking more about vocal quality, you have a deep voice but hey if you got range enough to play a woman more power to ya

I sing higher than my speaking voice, I can't project well enough at bass levels. I do swing a pretty good falsetto and I've got a thing for voices so I've got decent range. It helps that they aren't expecting a good woman part, they're expecting a Monty Python woman part. That I can do.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Since I'm posting anyway and the video is uploaded, might as well make an UPDATE!

Two Secrets of the Gungeon/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You use the Wax Wings to cheat at Winchesters game and get the BSG, a gun which kills every enemy in the room with a single shot. You then proceed to clear every room down to the Dragun with the Witch Pistol. You then go down to Bullet Hell, openly state that it's not the place to conserve your ammo needlessly, then proceed to clear it out with all your guns other than the BSG besides one or two rooms.

Why must you do this? It's like getting Gunther out of a chest and then finishing the rest of the game with your starter pistol.

The best thing I can think of to describe it is this:
Jade Star is doing XCOM 2 and he usually doesn't use a lot of his shitwrecker options. He calls it Giant Robotic Crab Syndrome. As soon as you use your shitwrecker option, something will come along that will make you wish you saved it.

Saving your trump card for a moment where it will do the best good feels really good, until you die before you can use your trump card. I HAVEN'T REACHED THAT POINT YET.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
This run went pretty well but I've got to get my commenting mojo back. I just haven't felt it the last few runs. Also I almost died on the first floor!

A Bullet and a Junk Walk Into A Bar.../Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Shaezerus posted:

THE JUNKIEST BOY

oh my gooooooooooood :swoon:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

KieranWalker posted:

Now, I'm unclear on something. Every time you want to do a past, you have to buy the bullet that can kill the past, correct? But you only need to gather the materials for it the one time?

Once you gather all the ingredients for the bullet and bring it to the Blacksmith, she has an endless supply of materials for bullets. All you have to do is talk to her and she'll provide one, no purchase required!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I deleted my commentary before I saved it. Again.

Again.

:negative: It's been a long week and probably will continue to be for a few months. Next update...eventually!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Well that was a hell of a month. One lost episode later...

Rusty/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually the Full Metal Jacket doesn't absorb bullets, rather it automatically uses one of your blanks when you're about to get hit. It's super good if you're trying to get all the master rounds in one run.

Crap, you're right. I'm thinking of something else. Loadstone, I think. Alas!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I really need to update this more often. Who wants to see a run where I get mostly garbage weaponry?!?!

The Robot Mk3/Polsy

Spudd posted:

I missed all the worrying sounds you make when you're in danger. :allears:

I'm really glad this is back, any plans for future videos or are they going to be you attempting to get your groove back?

My plan is to do various challenge stuff now. Like all brown chests. Or actual challenge runs. There is a game mode for that. It's really hard.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

GeneralYeti posted:

Here's a question: does the Robot take damage from the Electrified Blank? Since he's immune to electricity and all.

I assume you mean the tasers, the electrified rubber bullet dudes. Robot isn't immune to electricity so he would still take damage from that. It's less electricity damage at that point and more contact damage.

Samovar posted:

What's the maximum number of gluon stones one can have?

Edit: Also, when an enemy gets devolved, does their health re-set?

I'm not sure what the max guon stones is, the most I've had at once was three and I lost them before finding a fourth. As for getting devolved, I'm not sure. Enemies usually get devolved into something with lower health so it's hard to say for sure if they're taking ongoing damage or if the new health limit is really low.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

So the things everyone was regretting enough to come to the Gungeon

Hunter- Being cryogenically frozen for a couple of centuries
Marine- Cowardice during a DOOM scenario where all his comrades died
Pilot- Abandoning his partner to the space police
Convict- not killing the police hard enough when they came to arrest her
Bullet- Not killing Cannondorf
Robot- Letting the last human live instead of killing her

Does the game normally stop you from taking the original 'wrong' option in the Past or was that unique to the Robot?

I actually don't know! The only ones that give you a choice that seems to matter are the Hunter, Pilot, and Marine. Both of the Convict's options are flip the desk, and the Bullet doesn't have a choice in his past.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Grapplejack posted:

Scruff I don't 100% remember if we've seen her in game but why not do a blessed run next?

I don't think I've unlocked her yet :v:

It's in the plans though!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo don't hold your breath but it looks almost like a regular update schedule. Kinda.

Totally Rad Run/Polsy

marshmallow creep posted:

Does everyone get to use the Robots Left Arm?

I have no idea, I don't think I've seen it outside of the past. I'll figure it out sooner or later, I'm sure!

I think the reason I kept dunking on the Glacier is I'm used to it freezing water? I'm pretty sure that was a thing. Maybe it got patched or I'm mis-remembering.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Another pulse-pounding episode, in which I make it to Bullet Hell, talk about how nice it would be to find a hell muncher, and fail to notice one sitting in plain sight right before the boss until I start editing.

Shortcuts/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Jade Star posted:

Hey uh, scruffy... you were saying how much you wanted to see the hell muncher...

dscruffy1 posted:

Another pulse-pounding episode, in which I make it to Bullet Hell, talk about how nice it would be to find a hell muncher, and fail to notice one sitting in plain sight right before the boss until I start editing.

I know. I saw it when I was seeing how it rendered this morning.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CirclMastr posted:

Here's my usual playthrough of this game:

Level 1: Make it through with relative ease until the boss. Can rarely get a master round if I'm on point and have a good gun.
Level 2: Struggle almost constantly, can occasionally kill the boss if I have a good gun and enough health to tank inevitable hits.
Level 3: Die horribly, usually before the boss.

I'd ask for help but I think the problem is I just suck at this game.

generally I prefer posted:

So I got this game thanks to the LP and needing an Isaac replacement and goddamn do you make it look easy, Scruffy. I can just about reliably get to the second floor after logging about 6 hours on it, but I've only ever made it to the second floor boss once (Gorgun) and died VERY quickly afterwards.

Something I think that has gotten lost between the videos and all these posts is that I had 150 hours in this game before I started the LP. It took me a little while to get good :v:

I decided on what to do for the next video and it is pretty brutal actually.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

CirclMastr posted:

Trying to give me advice while I livestream the game at you?

berryjon posted:

You may only use your sidearm on the bosses, disabling all passives? ;)

Close!

Jammed/Polsy

Also featured: a really bizarre boss room on the first floor. I still don't get that one.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

Can you do a max curse, max cool run?

Coolness and curse both affect your chances of drops in opposite ways. Curse will lower your chance to get drops after clearing a room, coolness raises it. There is a special item that will give you coolness scaling with the amount of curse you have but once you get to 13-14 curse like I had in that run you're going to have a bad time. Unless you've got a really good way of killing jammed enemies, and I didn't.

Theoretically, there is no max and both of them can stack infinitely.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

The Door Frame posted:

And hey Scruffy, does this still work post Supply Drop? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUflIq_4gNs I don't have a second controller to test it, and I'd love to see if the Cultist has a past. That exact video was actually the first I'd seen of the game

It's not really much of a spoiler, but I don't plan on showing it off.

If you're dedicated you can play as the Cultist, it just requires two methods of control and killing off one of the players a lot. The problem with that is that in co-op mode, if you've got a dead player, every chest will be a revival chest. So you don't have as many upgrade opportunities.

The Cultist's past is a one-on-one gunfight with the main character. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mW2uhkjrWo

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
stuck in shortcut factory send help

More Shortcuts!/Polsy

Who is next to ENTER THE GUNGEON?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

amishjosh posted:

Finally got around to picking the game up due to your lp. I've done reasonably well, learning the boss patterns is what's been ending most of my runs, but it is getting better. I can't remember, but did you have any runs where you ran into the shadow magician? All of a sudden I've hit him like every other run the last six or seven runs. Not terribly difficult, but a bit of a surprise the first time I wandered in and saw him.

Unfortunately the Shadow Magician came up in the Lost Episode(tm). Hopefully I'll run into him again soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the delay, I've been busy/sick/still am sick/etc. Have an episode!

Mighty Casey Has Struck Out/Polsy

Also I now have a way to give myself items! Any particular joke/challenge loadouts you'd like to see happen? I'm still pretty weirded out by not seeing the last two NPCs.

• Locked thread