Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Disappointed that the boss' name is "Gorgun" and not "Meduzi"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Scruffy, in the last video you started talking about using the tables for cover and why you don't do that and then got cut off by something else and unless I missed it completely, you didn't pick that thread back up. I know there's a lot going on between here and there, but do you recall what that was?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Add me to the list of people who got this because of the sale and the LP. Got through Gatling Gull and the bullet brothers, was killed by king bullet.

Found some new weapons I hadn't seen in the LP just yet, and at least one new enemy. Spoiling, just in case, I guess. New weapons include the wind up gun from Futurama, (fast fire, really slow reload, but it plays "pop goes the weasel" so net gain) a so called "charge gun" (lightning rifle, looks like a battery, seems like a good drop) and a camera, (which seems to do nothing. You can charge it and the screen will flash, but it seems to do little to no damage. I would almost believe it is an emergency blank, but I didn't live long enough to test.)

New enemy seems to be a living key that when killed, drops a key. Possibly useful

I also got a ballot as a passive item, but I have no idea what it was supposed to do. The description only said something about it being proof that you voted?

I think someone upthread mentioned getting a red chest on level one - add me to that list too. Got a trident out of it. Great for room clearing, but didn't seem all that good against bosses.

For new players I would suggest against destroying brown chests right off the bat. Personally speaking, I want to experience as much of the variety of weapons as I can, even the garbage ones. And since I can only just make it to level 2, what's the point of holding on to keys. If I can start getting in to deeper levels and start beating the past and whatnot, then sure, I'll hold out. And I certainly won't open one if it's the first I come across. But I really can't see myself skipping them entirely, just because they have a high chance of being not great.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I'll say this: I've played maybe 20 times (dying quickly means quick runs) Made it to the 3rd floor once. If I hadn't watched Scruffy play and tried to absorb some of his tips, I probably would have become more frustrated with this game and given up a lot sooner.

I think if I can just find the right button combo I can start using the blanks instead of expecting to dodge roll my way out of everything.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

It's especially helpful to forego opening chests before the boss, at least for the first two floors or so, because it guarantees a gun drop from the boss. And outside of the Ammoconda, all the bosses on the first two floors are pretty much as easy as you're going to get on your journey down. So it's best to use that time to stock up on weapons early.

Probably just bad luck that every time I made it to a 2nd floor boss it's been ammoconda.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

With the elevator repairman, do you need both the master rounds and whatever he is looking for (IE, 3 keys, 100+ casings and master rounds)? Or do the master rounds help in some other way?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Right, but what I've seen he doesn't ask for master rounds specifically. He'll say "To fix this I need X Keys and X casings" and then, if you have a master round on you he says "Oh, you have a level 1 master round! It's just what I need! Can I have it?"

From that wording it sounds like he would still fix it with the Keys and casings, and giving him the master round would be an extra.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Managed to get master round on treadnaught on my first go (yay!) - Had Shades' Pistol as a drop, so that was cool

Where does it keep your record of all the times you've died? I didn't see it in the ammonomicon.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Just unlocked the elevator to floor two, and...it seems like kind of a misstep. I mean, yes, I'm guaranteed to start at floor two with full health and at least one key...But also with no weapon or good item. I guess if I get good at beating the level 2 bosses now with the starting pistol, it won't be so bad.

But it does in a way seem like starting at level two is shooting yourself in the foot, if you'll pardon the pun. It's at least one less weapon chest, one less item chest and one less shop to visit, any one of which could get you something good. Not to mention the idea of possibly getting the master round for an additional heart

On a similar note, what would most people rather do, go straight from floor 1 to 2, or stop in at the oubliette instead for the extra chests and casings? I mean, if I was really good at the level 1 bosses and could guarantee a no hit run, and I had an embarrassing amount of keys, I'd just do both. And I don't think I've seen anything of lower value on oubliette than a green chest yet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So, apparently Gun Reaper can get jammed. That's neat. I mean, I know anyone can get jammed, but to see it...

I have a question about two things we haven't seen in the LP yet, specifically, but it is just item stuff. Does the Rad Gun synergize with the Cog of War?

For those who haven't seen it yet, the Cog is a passive that adds a little tick mark to your reload bar. If you click reload or fire when the line gets to the mark, you get a bonus to damage and possibly fire speed (and a faster reload too, I guess). As long as you keep reloading and getting the timing right, you keep the bonus

The Rad Gun is a gun that wears sunglasses and a backwards baseball cap. It has this gimmick baked into it, but each successive good reload increases the bonus. I don't know the numbers, but it does get faster/more powerful up to at least 3 levels. The bonus timing also gets faster as you go up in levels.

It's not great for boss fights, as I tend to need to focus on other things like not getting hit, but if that stacks I can only imagine the bonus.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Had probably my best run so far. Made it to the Dragun for the first time (had only half a heart so died to his second attack. Oh well.)

Found my new favorite combination. Bouncing Bullets, fat bullets, with Crown of Guns. It basically turns you into a boss character, with omni directional firing with a single trigger pull, plus they have great distance, so they hit a wall and come back. It pretty much melted Treadnaught and Kill Pillars. All you have to really do is keep the attack held down and focus on dodging. No aiming needed. Plus a generous 3000+ magazine with no reloading means no need to let up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So...Protip: Don't open glitchy chests

I don't know what the actual chances of seeing one are, I'm guessing low. Like 1% kind of low. It's a bad time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So two things for the end of that incredible run

1) 90% sure, jammed red gunjurers can turn your absorbed shots into jammed shots

2) You can blow up hidden walls with explosives. Done it with the lil bomber and some other explosive weapon (C4). So the RPG you were carrying around would have let you blow up that last wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

What do you need to do to get Ox's arm to show up?

I've gone down to level 5 a few times, seen the whole map, nothing there.

I've talked to him and he'll say that he lost his arm in the walls below, but that's it.

• Locked thread