Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Samovar posted:

Yeah, besides from one Ammolet type, the chances of getting enough blanks to make Ammolet useful at all is... really low.
They can be useful in conjunction with a reliable source of armor, and one or two of them help you take down bosses faster for those sweet sweet master rounds. But yeah, ammolets overall aren't that great in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Most of the Supply Drop update has just entered public beta. No idea how stable things are, though.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

Ok,the whole "even losing armor fucks up your boss flawless" thing is a load of bullshit. One thing I can give Issac in its favor over this is,last time I checked,Soul/Spirit Hearts don't count towards that unless you health consists entirely of them. Kindof a safety net.
You're OK even if your health consists entirely of soul hearts, actually - it's one of the things that makes ??? somewhat reasonable to play.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Now that I've watched the video: the Helix can actually be a pretty decent boss killer. As long as both bullets hit you have reasonably high damage, and most of the bosses are large enough that they always will despite the helical firing pattern.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Just the Marine from my playthroughs. Haven't unlocked any additional characters (assuming there is any, but games like this always do), but so far, he's the only one to show any changes.
If you're playing through, here's a spoiler about unlocking things that I strongly recommend you look at to avoid frustration. In some rooms, very rarely, there will be a bulletkin wearing a red cape that doesn't attack you. Kill everything in the room except him and wait for a few seconds, and he'll leave. Doing that enough times unlocks a new character.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

To be fair the store unlocks from an npc you rescue on floor 2, and since you only get hegemony credits from boss kills it would even make sense to have it unlocked till after you beat floor 1. The real silly design decision is being able to force shops to have keys. It doesn't actually make the game mechanicly harder or give the player any interesting disisions to make it just adds an extra barrier of knowledge for new players, aka the nethack school of game design.
It's probably a bug, honestly, since it wasn't in the original release and was added to make things easier. (There is also a spoilery reason why it can be very frustrating not to have two keys on the first floor, and you only start with one.) The devs probably intended to guarantee a key if no key had dropped yet on the floor, but didn't realise that the difference between a key dropping and a key being picked up would shape optimal play.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I think Gorgun is fairly easy to clear damageless with the basic gun. Beholster is a lot harder but still sometimes doable, and Ammoconda is pretty much impossible because you don't have enough damage output to kill the pellets.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The chests pretty obviously get more ornate as they go from brown to blue to green to red to black - it's really not a stretch to think that the different colours contain different quality items, especially once you've opened a few low-tier chests and a few high-tier chests. And I think people make the key thing out to be a bigger deal than it is - I only realised it after seeing scruffy's videos, and I could still beat the Dragun on a reasonable proportion of my runs. One or maybe two extra keys in the shop over the course of a run isn't normally a dealbreaker.

(There's also at least one pretty badass weapon that only appears in brown chests - it's not all T-shirt cannons.)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

You want to talk about Isaac being an rear end in a top hat, the really egregious thing is the curses. Every time you start a new level, there's a random chance you get hit with one. Curse of the Lost means you have to get out pencil and paper and make your own map. Curse of the Maze means you sometimes get teleported into a room you've already visited and sometimes rooms switch around. Curse of Darkness means you have to increase your gamma settings. Curse of the Blind means that you no longer know what any of the items you're about to pick up are, and there's a small but significant chance any one of them could end your run. All of them just dick you over in ways that range from petty and obnoxious to randomly game-ending, and if you want to get all the unlocks then you have to play on hard mode where they're much more common. They're the one thing I can think of that should just straight up not be in the game.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 3, 2017

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

HenryEx posted:

I was really big into this for a while after release and then burned out pretty hard. We'll see if the upcoming dlc can rekindle the flame.

I'll say that the game gets much more casual when you activate a cheat script to give you a random drop after every room cleared, instead of every ten or so. More ammo to go around, lots of health lying around to smooth the learning curve, keys to find new exciting weapons with...

Looking forward to the next video, featuring the best character, as a palate cleanser from the worst character
Wait, do you mean the supply drop update (which is basically already out if you opt in to the beta branch), or is there some paid DLC on the way that I've missed?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I sometimes use it for blue chests too if I only have one key left, just in case the shop on the next floor has a lock on it or something. It's also very useful if you're limited on keys for some reason, like needing to save up for the Prime Primer.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

dscruffy1 posted:

Another reason I'd find the lockpicks fairly useful is for unlocking shortcuts. We haven't unlocked the guy that builds them yet, but he usually wants a lot of casings and a lot of keys to build his shortcuts. And in one case he wants a lot of junk, which you can only get by destroying chests.
I was trying to be circumspect about that, but I guess if you're saying it then it's OK. :)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

You can definitely unlock something by winning wagers with the Gunsling King, but you need to win ten of them in total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Assuming you can give yourself ammo, Alien Engine-only run. Make it happen. :)

(OK, you can use the starter weapon on enemies you can't reach any other way.)

• Locked thread