Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It feels to me that the biggest balance issue for this game is lack of health drops. That it only drops health after a boss if you don't get hit punishes the type of player who needs the health drops the most. There's a reason that Binding of Isaac gives you a health up drop after nearly every boss fight: because most players need it to keep up with the curve. You should probably get an extra item or gun for going without being hit, akin to unlocking the devil room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I would've had it so that if you take damage during the boss, you get a health up, while if you get through unscathed, you get a cool weapon. It means those who need the help get it, while those who don't get to brag about it with their gun that shoots doves that explode into sharks.
One idea: if you take damage, you get a pedestal with a heath up on it. If you go unscathed, two pedestals pop up: one with a health up, one with a chest. The quality of the chest depends on what floor you're on. Floor one would be at minimum a blue chest with a chance of being better than that, and once you get to floor 4 it'd be at minimum a green chest with a chance of being better. If you pick the chest, the health disappears, and vice versa.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

"Once you pick up a new weapon you can only use it until you either replace it or it runs out of bullets" is a really good challenge.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Just started playing Enter the Gungeon for the first time because of the update and the sale. Dang, this game. It's really hard to keep up with all the keys you have to keep in mind at all times. Remembering your dodge roll is hard enough (you also have to get used to dodge rolling aggressively--- rolling away can get you hit or, even if you time it right, you can end up pinned in a corner), remembering to reload is an early challenge, and remembering to blank is a big problem for me. Oh sure I can get out of this jam by dodging OH NOPE.

I've played 7 games so far, the first few I died fast, but I've cleared the floor and gotten to the boss three times (Gatling Gull twice and the Bullet King once). I almost killed the Bullet King too, thanks to a Winchester Rifle that I lockpicked from a brown chest, but couldn't decipher his bullet pattern in time.

Tough, but rewarding game when you actually do good, is my experience in my like one hour so far.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If we're talking about curious post-Supply drop encounters, I saw a red chest on the first floor, which while possible is pretty unlikely. It was wasted on me though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lazy Bear posted:

Possible (probably easy) challenge: Blanks? We don't need no stinkin' blanks!
Pop your blanks at the beginning of each floor. Do not pick up dropped blanks or armour. No blanks. Also, if you get Table Tech Blank, no table-flipping. Natch.

Possible (harder) challenge: Passive Pass-up
No passive items. Drop your starting passives, do not pick up any passives from the Gungeon. Master Rounds and heart containers permitted.

Dunno if this was mentioned: Glass Cannon
Take hits in the first room until you get to 1/2 heart. Do not pick up healing. Armour is permitted. Good loving luck.
These are all less "gimmicks" and more "hard modes". I'm sure they'd be fun to play if you're as good as scruffy, but I'm not sure how fun they'd be to watch as opposed to a clearly delineated gimmick like the "you can only use one gun at a time until it runs out of ammo" one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I've mapped blank and reload to my mouse's two thumb buttons, just because I want to use them quickly while moving
This was some clutch advice for me, especially since I have a gaming mouse with a ton of side-buttons. I was able to map reload, blank and interact to them and it's helped.

I find that the Hunter is probably the best character for a new player, her pistol is accurate, reloads fast and is solid for room clearing. I'm getting the hang of clearing the first floor on a regular basis, but I'm still being stymied by the boss. Almost had the Trigger Twins once though. The Molotov Cocktail Launcher was a big help, funny enough. It seems like the sort of gun that can be clutch in the first few floors and tails off fast.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It's too bad that Cursola didn't show up doing the spice run, because that would have been good time to do an impromptu curse run.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Yeah, it felt to me like the audio abruptly desynced at roughly the 40 minute mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Oh man, I knew exactly what Cannon's dumb pun name was gonna be from the moment I saw him.

• Locked thread