Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Blacksuit posted:

Ultimately, I think that the joy of playing Isaac isn't actually playing Isaac, but getting the right upgrades to tear the game to pieces after countless runs of abject cruelty. The fun of EtG is in the playing itself, with frustration stemming from RNG problems and a questionable rewards system.

This is kinda where I'm at. How many Isaac runs begin and end with 'well, my first treasure sucked so I'm restarting the floor'? While skilled play of Isaac is eminently possible, most wins rely upon the RNG being kind to you. If you just never get any damage, fire-rate-up, or other decent upgrades, it becomes an unfun slog, especially given how many items can actively penalize you for picking them up unawares. By contrast, Enter The Gungeon is stingier about HOW it gives you items, but items are always improvements, or at least don't penalize you for picking them up. Especially since you can just drop ones you don't like, a convenience Isaac does not have. And the challenge of Enter The Gungeon feels a lot more fair because even if you get unlucky and get absolutely nothing of worth, you CAN still beat the game with the default pistols without too much trouble as long as you play smart. I mean, you've got a dodge-roll that has i-frames, screen-clear bombs that replenish every floor, half the characters start out with a bonus weapon... it's not THAT cruel, nor is it anywhere near as completely down-to-chance as a given Isaac run.

I do think taking an armor hit in a boss fight shouldn't count for Master Chamber qualification, though. That part actually is kinda dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Skrewtape posted:

Those orbitals you picked up were both called "Guon Stones", which I believe is a reference to the "Ioun Stones" from Jack Vance's Dying Earth books. This game is really thick with references.

Ioun Stones also show up in D&D quite a bit, referencing the same thing.

• Locked thread