Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Dominicius posted:

People are complaining about how the game handles difficulty but it is actually one of the things that I absolutely endorse. What you need to understand about difficulty first and foremost that it is always relative to player skill, a beginner might have trouble with the most basic things while a pro will just breeze through the game. The second thing to keep in mind is that player skill is not static, players will be getting better and better as they play, making the game feel easier with time. By rewarding players that are doing well and giving them more resource what you are doing is amplifying the learning curve effect. Not only is the game easier because the player goes up in skill but the game also gets easier itself in response to that. This creates a much bigger sense of progression, creating a breaking point where the player is suddenly making tons of progress with each run where as before he would barely be making it to the second floor.

The fact that scruffy mentioned a "click"moment in one of his videos is no coincidence, Gungeon was designed for it.

I think the problem is less that the difficulty is high, and more how they make the game 'difficult'. High HP bosses can be difficult due to them lasting longer and having to handle their patterns for longer, but ultimately as you play the game more and more, that becomes less of an issue. As someone else in the thread said, fatigue is a very real thing for this game. Guns feel weak as is unless you get particularly strong ones or a decent passive to synergize with. Having enemies scale HP as well makes them feel even weaker, and bosses with tons of HP doesn't alleviate this either. Honestly, one of the biggest complaints about the game I have is that you don't feel like you get stronger as you go further. At best you stay even, at worst you feel weaker. Its also frankly a bizarre design choice to reward players with more health for avoiding damage entirely on bosses when if they can do that, they likely don't need it. I think the idea is to give you more health for later boss fights you're less experienced with, but as you get better and better with a game the health bonus is a bit inconsequential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread